Register now to remove this ad

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: 9/9 Astros at Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Earlier in the season, I was at Fenway and Price was pitching a gem. He had a shutout with 2 outs in the 9th inning. Leon, who hadn't made a mound visit for the entire game, trotted out to Price to impart his wisdom. The next pitch resulted in a long home run. Shut out gone.
    There was a runner a second, I would guess that was the reason for the mound visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    There was a runner a second, I would guess that was the reason for the mound visit.
    I think you would be guessing wrong. There was a leadoff double and no mound visit for the next 2 batters who Price got out.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I think you would be guessing wrong. There was a leadoff double and no mound visit for the next 2 batters who Price got out.
    Well, maybe Leon wanted to discuss what pitch to throw, and maybe he called a bad pitch. Or maybe Machado guessed right on the pitch. Maybe it was a good call by Leon but Price caught too much plate. Do you know which it was?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Well, maybe Leon wanted to discuss what pitch to throw, and maybe he called a bad pitch. Or maybe Machado guessed right on the pitch. Maybe it was a good call by Leon but Price caught too much plate. Do you know which it was?
    Catching too much plate--what a great phrase. I tend to think of that as sinful, but also believe it depends on the situation. Sometimes you can absolutely get away with it if you have the batter guessing.

Last night, Tuesday, against the Jays I saw a fascinating. sequence. 8th inning, man on base, 2 out, Vazquez catching, and Kelly brought in to get the last out. Righty at bat. It takes Kelly 8 pitches and a 3-2 count before he gets the K. He throws several heaters and at least a couple knuckle curves. Finally, he throws an 88 mph slider low in the zone which Grichuk absolutely hammers--foul line drive into the left field stands. So what does Vazquez call for? A knuckle curve, with a little more break, in almost exactly the same spot--swinging strike three. I swear that pitching is as much art and artifice as it is muscle and coordination and hitting charts, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I swear that pitching is as much art and artifice as it is muscle and coordination and hitting charts, etc.
    Absolutely. It's usually an intricate game being played between the pitcher/catcher and the hitter. It's not too often you see a pitcher just trying to throw it past the hitter anymore.

These guys know more about baseball than we ever imagined existed.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully