Register now to remove this ad

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 9/14 New York Mess

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    There's actually a very simple explanation. The bullpen hasn't been as bad as the game thread Negative Nellies say it is. The mistake is paying any attention to the Nellies.

This bullpen has had some very ugly moments, no doubt about that. But the main thing is they have gotten the job done most of the time.

There's usually a simple explanation for these things.
    Two things to keep in mind along those lines:

1. Our regular starting rotation has pitched a very limited number of innings. When the starters aren't getting deep into games, albeit through really no fault of their own, then it makes it a lot more difficult for the pen to be effective.

2. Cora really has no sense of urgency right now.

Both of those things will change in the postseason.

Here's a great tweet:

Chris Cotillo
    ‏Verified account @ChrisCotillo
    7h7 hours ago

Being worried about the Sox pitching staff in the postseason because William Cuevas, Robby Scott and Tyler Thornburg struggled tonight probably isn't the best use of one's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    We weren’t going to win 162 games.
    Bad games happen. Better to have them now than October.
    Everyone just needs to stay healthy (hey beni no more diving into first)
    Amen brother.

Deity
    Unfortunately, there is nothing about this pen that suggests post season reliability. The guys emerging as their best arms are:
    - Wright who if brought in past the 6th and used through the 8th will simply be another indication that Cora really does not have many options. Should not be brought in past the 6th and not be used past the 7th
    - Two guys that are very young and completely untested in post season play (Poyner and Brasier). We have seen solid relievers crumble to dust under post season pressure unable to do more than try to guide the ball over the plate. So until we get there, we have no idea what these two will do. Again Cora will have no choice but to use them
    - Barnes, not sure if he is coming back and not sure what he will do in the post season if he comes back
    - Valasquez and Johnson, How many long relievers do we need when Wright if healthy is just going to walk right onto this post season roster
    - Pom, Thorny, Kelly, Scott, Hembree....garbage...utter trash
    - Evo, might be some use in the post season
    - Kimbrel the closer you have to hand a clean 9th inning to. Useless otherwise

So, the choice Cora will be left with is mainly to lock the bullpen door and try to get his starters through the 7th even if it means that they have to dig themselves out of a jam they get into. Once he pulls his starter it is going to be pray from that moment on. There is nothing this pen has done in the regular season outside of Kimbrel that suggests what they will be in the post season other than a surprise package each day.

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    Unfortunately, there is nothing about this pen that suggests post season reliability. The guys emerging as their best arms are:
    - Wright who if brought in past the 6th and used through the 8th will simply be another indication that Cora really does not have many options. Should not be brought in past the 6th and not be used past the 7th
    - Two guys that are very young and completely untested in post season play (Poyner and Brasier). We have seen solid relievers crumble to dust under post season pressure unable to do more than try to guide the ball over the plate. So until we get there, we have no idea what these two will do. Again Cora will have no choice but to use them
    - Barnes, not sure if he is coming back and not sure what he will do in the post season if he comes back
    - Valasquez and Johnson, How many long relievers do we need when Wright if healthy is just going to walk right onto this post season roster
    - Pom, Thorny, Kelly, Scott, Hembree....garbage...utter trash
    - Evo, might be some use in the post season
    - Kimbrel the closer you have to hand a clean 9th inning to. Useless otherwise

So, the choice Cora will be left with is mainly to lock the bullpen door and try to get his starters through the 7th even if it means that they have to dig themselves out of a jam they get into. Once he pulls his starter it is going to be pray from that moment on. There is nothing this pen has done in the regular season outside of Kimbrel that suggests what they will be in the post season other than a surprise package each day.
    There is also Workman, who is postseason tested.

But one of my points is that Cora has been pulling his starters before the 7th inning in most games. A healthy Sale, Price, and Porcello are all capable of getting through 7 innings effectively.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    There is also Workman, who is postseason tested.

But one of my points is that Cora has been pulling his starters before the 7th inning in most games. A healthy Sale, Price, and Porcello are all capable of getting through 7 innings effectively.
    Darn...I knew I forgot somebody..thanks for reminding me.

I like Work. He has gone through some changes as a pitcher I guess for the better if only because he struggled just being the same guy he was when he came up to us as a rookie pitcher. Of all of them, he might be the one steadying influence. Not sure how resilient his arm is because Cora never uses him such that we can see if he has a resilient arm at this point in his career. Clearly Cora has been pushing Brasier to show a resilient arm. I suspect Work no longer has one as Cora makes no effort at all to establish that at this point in his career he does have a resilient arm.

Cora should probably try it with Work because I really don't care how many arms Cora has out there in the pen. In the post season a Manager is forced to go back to the same guys over and over again, often day after day particularly true if the starters are not regularly going 7. I am not as confident that our starters will regularly go 7. Confident that Sale can do it if truly healthy.
    Last edited by jung; 09-15-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    I like Work. He has gone through some changes as a pitcher I guess for the better if only because he struggled just being the same guy he was when he came up to us as a rookie pitcher. Of all of them, he might be the one steadying influence. Not sure how resilient his arm is because Cora never uses him such that we can see if he has a resilient arm at this point in his career. Clearly Cora has been pushing Brasier to show a resilient arm. I suspect Work no longer has one as Cora makes no effort at all to establish that at this point in his career he does have a resilient arm.
    Huh?

Workman pitched 14.1 innings in August, compared to 12 for Brasier.

14.1 is a lot for a reliever these days.

Huh?

Also, PAs against in the last 28 days:

51 Workman

40 Brasier

It seems he's going soft with Brasier.

Deity
    Huh?

Not in anything that resembles post season high leverage. Work is usually in early and out early. Cora has not been pushing Work like he is pushing Brasier. But if for no other reason than who else is there, Work might become a linchpin in this pen.

Heck Cora is pushing Thorny more than he is pushing Work though I think Thorny is soon coming to the end of his rope.

Legend
    You dealt away some good young talent for Thornburg, he's been here long enough to start paying dividends back. He's not, too inconsistent. He should have taken over the 8th inning role by this time.
    You better have a concern with this BP, when facing the real good teams in the Play-offs.
    Red Sox Achilles heal.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 09-15-2018 at 11:38 AM.