Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oakland A's at New York Yankees- Wild Card game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Why is wrong? Your supposedly number 1 is starting.
    Well, given Severino's poor 2nd half and the combo of him and Sanchez didn't fair so well vs the A's in early Sept makes me feel there were better choices.

But he will be on a very short leash and I do like the prospect of Happ going against the sox should the Yanks get past the A's.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm not afraid of anyone. I just always root for the Yankee opponent. It's a habit.
    I always root to face the sox.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    And you can be sure Billy's second favorite team is whoever's playing the Red Sox.
    Nah, I'm not one of those guys.

In fact, I hate when someone says "My second favorite team is ......."

I love the Yanks and hate every other team.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyWilliams View Post
    Well, given Severino's poor 2nd half and the combo of him and Sanchez didn't fair so well vs the A's in early Sept makes me feel there were better choices.

But he will be on a very short leash and I do like the prospect of Happ going against the sox should the Yanks get past the A's.
    IMO, Boone is making a mistake not starting Happ in this game. He is already looking ahead to the ALDS. If the Yankees beat the A's, it will look like a great move. However, if it backfires, the Yankees go home. The stakes are too high. You can't risk being eliminated with your best starter sitting on the bench, being saved for a series that might never come.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    IMO, Boone is making a mistake not starting Happ in this game. He is already looking ahead to the ALDS. If the Yankees beat the A's, it will look like a great move. However, if it backfires, the Yankees go home. The stakes are too high. You can't risk being eliminated with your best starter sitting on the bench, being saved for a series that might never come.
    It is a ballsy call IMO. If it works he looks like a genius, if it doesn't he will feel the wrath of the Yankee faithful.

But I guess his thinking is that Sevy will be on a short leash so if he's not on the damage will be minimalized.

My bigger concern is Sanchez catching.

I'm fine with Sevy starting, he has the highest ceiling of the three options. Whoever starts is going to have a short leash anyway.

And although he did got rocked by the A's previously, he has looked better over his last few starts: 17.2 IP, 2.04 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, 18 Ks

I wonder, if they looked at Sevy-Happ as a 50-50 choice and chose Sevy, because they wanted Happ twice vs the Sox.

I wonder, if they looked at Sevy-Happ as a 50-50 choice and chose Sevy, because they wanted Happ twice vs the Sox.
    If that was the line of thought Boone is a bigger moron than I realized, can't plan for something that may not happen

For tonight it should be all hands on deck, there's no "tomorrow" if we lose tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    If that was the line of thought Boone is a bigger moron than I realized, can't plan for something that may not happen

For tonight it should be all hands on deck, there's no "tomorrow" if we lose tonight
    If it was 50-50, I can see looking ahead. If it was 50.001 to 49.999, He should have gone with Happ.

If it was 50-50, I can see looking ahead. If it was 50.001 to 49.999, He should have gone with Happ.
    LOL. It would be nice if such decisions could be quantified with that kind of precision.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    LOL. It would be nice if such decisions could be quantified with that kind of precision.
    advanced metrics. there is 1 guy that watches every pitch by every pitcher of every game and he decides.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    advanced metrics. there is 1 guy that watches every pitch by every pitcher of every game and he decides.
    That's a real Catch-22. Because any guy that watches every pitch of every game would obviously be insane.

I've never rooted as hard for any sports team as I am rooting for Oakland tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Legend
    Since All-Star break A's had a 3.52 team ERA, the Yanks 4.19 team ERA.

Eck (Red Sox) and Ron Darling (Mets) in the booth. That will piss off Yankee fans.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."