Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oakland A's at New York Yankees- Wild Card game thread

Oakland A's at New York Yankees- Wild Card game thread

Still TBD vs TBD. I have to assume the Yankees will use Happ as he hasn't lost as a Yankee and he has been the most consistent. The best pitcher on the team rebounded a bit in September, but with memories of his debachle last year in the WC game and his swoon then rebounding to above average doesn't instill a lot of confidence. Also, Sevy has a 6.23ERA with 14 baserunners in 8.2IP this year in 2 starts vs the A's.

Happ has been lights out for the Yankees. He's 6-0 with a sub 3 ERA in NY and tossed a 1ER 6IP game vs Oakland earlier in the year. The only concern I have here is the right handedness of their lineup and how powerful they can be.

Tanaka would have been an easy choice. He was on fire coming into the last two starts, then all he did was suck ass and allow 2 baserunners per inning in his last 2 starts. He's got the playoff resume. He has the stuff and he was hot. He hasn't faced the A's this year. He is also a right hander, which could be of benefit against all their righty power.

For the A's, I truly think they're gonna BP game this one. Their strength is the pen and their rotation is like a game of survivor where nobody survived
    Hal sucks

I think, you will send Severino and will use Happ if he sucks early in the game.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Meh.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

OK Jacksonianmarch. you asked me about it on another thread and now it has come to fruition. LETS GO A's!!!

(based on your SP stats in your OP i would agree that Happ should start this game. but because: Boone. who knows???)
    other names i have posted under: none

We can agree on the Boone point. He's been tight lipped. I am wondering if he won't report a SP and will just wing it.

To be honest with you, I'd report Robertson as the starter. This whole "beginner" thing has kept teams from stacking their lineups with lefties or righties since they don't actually know who will be pitching the bulk of the game
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    To be honest with you, I'd report Robertson as the starter. This whole "beginner" thing has kept teams from stacking their lineups with lefties or righties since they don't actually know who will be pitching the bulk of the game
    this begs the question...is doing this considered "gamesmanship" or is it "cheating"?
    if this was football + Patriots it would be deemed "cheating". but i am curious what my fellow TS posters think of reporting a LH reliever as SP and then game time after lineups are turned in pulling him for a RH SP.
    i vote that's cheating.
    other names i have posted under: none

It isn't cheating. It is definitely gamesmanship. Cheating is violating a specific rule. There is no rule that you can't start a game with a reliever.

The Patriots actually cheated. They deflated footballs and taped practices. Those things are not allowed in the NFL.
    Hal sucks

And TB destroyed his phone before anyone could look at it. Destroying evidence isn't something that is typically done by the innocent. But maybe he had photos on there with his dong out that he didn't want leaked.

Just announced that Sevy will start the WC game.

I think that's a mistake, I hope I'm wrong.

GO A's!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    GO A's!!!!
    I guess I can understand your fear of the Yankees.........

Quote Originally Posted by BillyWilliams View Post
    Just announced that Sevy will start the WC game.

I think that's a mistake, I hope I'm wrong.
    Why is wrong? Your supposedly number 1 is starting.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyWilliams View Post
    I guess I can understand your fear of the Yankees.........
    I'm not afraid of anyone. I just always root for the Yankee opponent. It's a habit.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm not afraid of anyone. I just always root for the Yankee opponent. It's a habit.
    And you can be sure Billy's second favorite team is whoever's playing the Red Sox.

I am also terrified of the Yankees
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you