Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 10/6 ALDS Game 2 vs NYY

10/6 ALDS Game 2 vs NYY

RHP Masahiro Tanaka vs LHP David Price

It would feel so nice to go up 2-0, but just take this one pitch at a time, one batter at a time, one inning at a time. As we learned, the blowjo might sound menacing, but it does not result in any blowing by our side. It comes close, but that just makes for good TV. Win. Advance. Repeat. x2
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

8:15 game time

God bless the Powers that Be for these Prime Time slots!

Is Wright hurt again? Maybe I missed something. Was surprised we didn’t see him last night. The guy just can’t stay healthy

Deity
    A lot of valuable lessons from last night, assuming one game says anything. However, it is a fact that managers must pay attention to every game in the postseason and make decisions on small sample sizes. Here's my list of lessons--

1. Starting pitching was huge. Gigantic. Sale wasn't the great Sale of earlier this year, but he pitched smart and well and vastly exceeded my expectations. Happ bombed, pure and simple. He got credit for all 5 Sox runs, and the Sox scored all in the first 3 innings. I think Sale has more heart than any other Sox pitcher.

2. Yankees bullpen is definitely superior, especially now with Wright out. They went 6 innings last night and gave up 0 runs. Ours went 3.2 and gave up 2. But Sale and the bullpen both avoided the long ball except for that amazing shot, opposite field, by Judge on a Kimbrel knuckle curve. Just a great swing.

3. Cora went with righty bats (except Beni, Leon, and JBJ), but the bottom 4 in the order (Nunez, Kinsler, Leon, and JBJ) were moribund. First 5 got 7 of the 8 hits, scored all 5 runs, and batted all 5 runs in. 4 of the first 5 in the lineup have been righties just about all season long (except when Moreland plays 1B and is hitting, which ain't lately), and by and large that has worked.

4. I think Leon continues to catch because it sure looks like he is the best defensive catcher on both teams. Last night he was great. Ditto JBJ, who wasn't that great, but can be on defense and is hitting again.

5. I am rapidly souring on both Nunez and Kinsler. I know both are vets and steady as she goes, but this year they ain't hitting, Kinsler especially. I hope Cora gives serious thought to using Holt at 2B and Devers at 3b even though Devers is a defensive risk. But I'm fine with whatever Cora decides.

6. Looking back, I think both rookie managers acquitted themselves well. I think Boone's job is immensely easier because of that bullpen he has. Cora at times must have felt like the captain of the Titanic. I was furious he didn't use Wright, but now know why and don't fault him for pulling Sale when he did given Sale's September. This was the farthest Sale has gone --5.1 innings--since July 27. And Brasier was the right guy until he wasn't.

7. Sox scored all 5 runs in the first 3 innings, then nothing. Yankees were scoreless until the 6th, then scored 4. I'm repeating lessons 1 and 2.

8. Price tonight is much like Sale, but I don't think as willing to adjust as Sale clearly was last night when he saw his fastball was OK but not the great fastball of April-July. Hence the value of having Eovaldi in the bullpen. Happ surprised last night by being so hittable, and tonight Tanaka could surprise by being unhittable. Ya never know. Me, I worry but do like the real possibility of winning game 2.

9. Fenway fans got their money's worth last night. Excruciating, but nevertheless great game. Could be another one tonight. FWIW, wihich ain't much, everything I've read about this ALDS is that the Yankees are favored.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 10-06-2018 at 11:46 AM.

Tanaka San can be had. Lay off his junk, most of his pitches are low and out of the strike zone. If they can accomplish that he is very hittable.

Tanaka is a big game pitcher. We need to get him early, and Price will have a huge chip on his shoulder to prove that he can win in the post season. I think he will come up big.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

If Price falters, will Cora piggyback ERod or Wright?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

This is my favorite time of year for sports. MLB playoffs, college football, NFL Football, NBA, NHL, MMA, Boxing, etc. There is so much going on this weekend.

Wright is out for the series with a knee injury.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    Wright is out for the series with a knee injury.
    this guy needs a care taking group, Maybe 2 doctors, 2 nurses and a wheelchair!

Yeah. Definitely E-Rod. I don't think that will happen though. I think Price turned the corner against the Yankees in that start he made in August to close out the sweep at Fenway
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Tanaka pitches scared: he tries to get ahead and when he does he stops throwing strikes. He relies on hitters expanding the zone. When hitters don't expand, Tanaka gets hit hard. I would start Holt at 3b, he has more plate discipline than Nunez, who looked awful last night.

I would start Swihart at catcher, but I presume the Red Sox will not do that and so I'll stick with Leon.

MY LINEUP:
    Betts RF
    Benintendi LF
    Martinez DH
    Bogaerts SS
    Moreland 1b
    Kinsler 2b
    Holt 3b
    Leon C
    Bradley CF
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 10-06-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Legend
    Run on the SOB, he throws tons of balls in the dirt, every chance you get. Make Sanchez work.

Deity
    Plz price don’t lay an egg.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    This is my favorite time of year for sports. MLB playoffs, college football, NFL Football, NBA, NHL, MMA, Boxing, etc. There is so much going on this weekend.
    What are the other teams that you root for outside the red sox?