2. Andrew Benintendi (L) LF
    3. Steve Pearce (R) 1B
    4. J.D. Martinez (R) DH
    5. Xander Bogaerts (R) SS
    6. Ian Kinsler (R) 2B
    7. Eduardo Nunez (R) 3B
    8. Jackie Bradley Jr. (L) CF
    9. Christian Vazquez (R) C

So Cora goes JBJ in CF and no Holt anywhere. Standard lineup against a LH pitcher this year.

While I can just revert to "its the regular lineup against a LH pitcher" I also don't wonder if Kinsler's very professional behavior at the end of last night's game combined with Holt's slightly premature ejaculation were a factor as well. I would have bet Holt would have been plunked early tonight for one thing.
    I'd have sat Nunez. I'd also rather have Holt vs a lefty than Kinsler. Holt actually has a slightly better OPS vs lefties.

.708 vs LHPs
    .704 vs RHPs

(Kinsler is .446 vs LHPs this year but .851 career.)

I would not sit JBJ in Yankee Stadium.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 10-09-2018 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    Brock Holt hits for cycle one night, next night is missing from a lineup, while Eduardo Nunez is in the lineup. Nice.
    Holt is the Rodney Dangerfield of the Sox. He would be perfect to lay down a couple of bunts and get under C.C.'s ample skin.

Porcello should go at least 5 tonight. Can’t remember but I think he was our best satarter last year in the playoffs. Depending what Porcello shows up tonight that is.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    Porcello should go at least 5 tonight. Can’t remember but I think he was our best satarter last year in the playoffs. Depending what Porcello shows up tonight that is.
    7 IP

3 H

1 BB

7 Ks

2 ER

Italian power tonight! Porcello and Benintendi. 6 innings 1 run for Porcello, upper deck blast for Beni. Mafia hit on Angel Hernandez.....just because it fits the theme.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'd have sat Nunez. I'd also rather have Holt vs a lefty than Kinsler. Holt actually has a slightly better OPS vs lefties.

.708 vs LHPs
    .704 vs RHPs

I would keep JBJ in lineup, his defense is well worth it... as for Nunez..

.708 vs LHPs
    .704 vs RHPs

2018: 788 vs RHP, 718 vs LHP
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Nunez: 641 OPS vs LHP
    Devers: 619 OPS vs LHP
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

7 IP

3 H

1 BB

7 Ks

2 ER
    He definitely redeemed himself after a brutal regular season. Last year.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Wut?
    Kinsler could have come home from 3rd on the first WP at the end of last night's game. But he simply refused to move. Then the 2nd wild pitch was just too much for Kinsler to cover. He literally walked home on that one. What else was he going to do. But he was obviously not trying to give the Yankees any incentive to think the Sox were rubbing their noses in it. Conversely, Holt is wagging his dingdong from 3rd base when he tripled and going ga-ga over a HR hit off the backup Catcher. The waggle from 3rd was probably fine. But the ga-ga over cycle v backup catcher heaped atop it probably even got under Cora's skin. I fully expected to see Holt plunked early in this game in any situation where he could be plunked without damage to the Yankees.

Notice how Cora handled idiot ERod who would not even cover 1st in the 7th inning of post season game2. Erod got to pitch the 9th inning of ultimate garbage time, up 16-1. Thats your reward Eddie. So its obvious Cora watches this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    2018: 788 vs RHP, 718 vs LHP
    .718 is still better than Nunez and Devers and Kinsler.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by d-money View Post
    Need to jump on them early. We need this game to set up the ALCS with the stros.
    This. Someone else said it too, but it's right. A win tonight means Sale leads off vs. the Astros.

My goodness, but to me the the world just turned upside down. These huge wins are real hard on us pessimists.

I will say again one more time. All three games have been won by one team's starting pitcher--Sale, Tanaka, and Eovaldi--who was each time much better than the other starter--Happ, Price, and now Severino.

I think the Yankees have a much better bullpen, but so far they have not made a difference (but came close in game 1).

I also think the Yankees have a better lineup, but it was the Sox who destroyed Happ and Severino who very recently shut our guys down.

Stories about how dumb Boone was last night, but his team lost 16-1 so that's kind of hard for me to see.

On the other hand, I really have to give Cora a ton of credit. Going into this series the Yankees had the hot bats and the world class bullpen. We should have had the edge in rotations, but I expected Happ to outduel Sale based on the evidence of September when Sale was struggling to recover from the shoulder or whatever and Happ was just great. On the other hand I hoped Price would outpitch Tanaka, which absolutely did not happen. So Eovaldi, who did pitch well against the Yankees is last 2 times--0 runs in 14 innings--needed to come thru against Severino. that he did so was a complete surprise to me.

To me Cora has made the right moves, pure and simple. He changed the lineup for last night, but he won game 1 with the old lineup of Leon, Nunez, and Kinsler. In game 1 he brought in exactly the right guy, Brasier, who promptly gave up a single that led to 2 runs, both charged to Sale and made the score 5-2. From then on it was the perils of pauline, including that opposite field dinger by Judge off Kimbrel's knuckle curve to make the score 5-4 in the 9th.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 10-09-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Deity
    Tough assignment for Porcello tonight. Yanks will be looking for any lead past the 4th inning to start the cycle of closers from their pen. That is really all they are looking for from Fatbathia....4 innings, 5 tops of goose eggs which he is quite capable of providing. Hence, this is not the night for an early Porcello going over the wall.

Rick is capable though. I just wish it was Sandy catching him as Vaz has proven to be subpar in setting his targets for his pitchers in this ballpark. Eo led Vaz to where he wanted to throw the ball as Vaz just would not set good targets for him..Pretty rare for the pitcher to lead the catcher back to where he wants to and needs to throw the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Stories about how dumb Boone was last night, but his team lost 16-1 so that's kind of hard for me to see.
    When you lose 16-1, it does tend to obliterate any dumb managerial moves. Doesn't mean they weren't there though.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    Tough assignment for Porcello tonight. Yanks will be looking for any lead past the 4th inning to start the cycle of closers from their pen. That is really all they are looking for from Fatbathia....4 innings, 5 tops of goose eggs which he is quite capable of providing. Hence, this is not the night for an early Porcello going over the wall.

Rick is capable though. I just wish it was Sandy catching him as Vaz has proven to be subpar in setting his targets for his pitchers in this ballpark. Eo led Vaz to where he wanted to throw the ball as Vaz just would not set good targets for him..Pretty rare for the pitcher to lead the catcher back to where he wants to and needs to throw the ball.
    Interesting about last night and Vaz. I entirely agree all Sabathia needs to do is 4 good innings. But guess what? In games 1 and 3 neither Happ nor Severino could do that. Same goes for Price in game 2. So 4 good innings would seem to be a rather lofty goal.

Porcello has pitched against the Yankees several times this year for a total of 24 innings and 6 earned runs--an ERA of 2.25. Not too shabby. Just one dinger, also not too shabby. But I think all 24 innings were with Leon behind the plate.

So you could have a point.