Register now to remove this ad

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Cora and Closers

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Great point.
    Except I never said "feeling a failure." I said that specific win "felt a lot like a loss." That doesn't make me feel like a failure.

I definitely would not have put Price in there not in that big situation. Heck I don’t agree with Price starting game two of the ALCS.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    The only thing I know about Kimbrel's inning is that it was a failure. And, given the context of this specific game, plus that from the 5th inning on we were supposed to hold our breath till the Savior arrived in the 9th, this was not only an absolutely nerve-racking failure, but a very major disappointment.

To me this huge win felt a hell of a lot like a loss. I'm sorry, throwing wild balls when you have a 3 run (max for a save) lead in your biggest save opportunity of this season, is downright infuriating.
    Trust me. Heck, trust the rest of us. Winning a 2d straight game at Yankee Stadium to take the ALDS was not a failure. In fact, that game and last night's game and maybe gave 1 of the ALDS--all saves by Kimbrel in which he gave up 1 or 2 runs--are downright liberating. He's being paid a lot to close and now wants a long-term contract to stay here or move on. I never wanted him to have a long term contract, and now it appears DD won't want to offer him one.

Deity
    Back to the title of this thread--Cora and the bullpen. I do not ever remember a Sox manager with a bullpen as inconsistent as this one who somehow keeps finding ways to win.

His ace was supposed to be Wright, who was huge in September, but Wright's knee went sour.

Now Kimbrel the ace closer, paid a king's ransom, is looking pretty darn shaky.

I personally would never have kept Kelly on the postseason roster, but Cora did and so far it has paid off.

He has already used starters twice--or is it three times?--in relief and all of them (both of them?) did well.

Last night Price had 2 outs and 2 men on base in the 5th, and Cora did not hesitate to pull him.

To me anyone who complains about Cora's handling of the bullpen doesn't understand baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Back to the title of this thread--Cora and the bullpen. I do not ever remember a Sox manager with a bullpen as inconsistent as this one who somehow keeps finding ways to win.

His ace was supposed to be Wright, who was huge in September, but Wright's knee went sour.

I personally would never have kept Kelly on the postseason roster, but Cora did and so far it has paid off.

He has already used starters twice--or is it three times?--in relief and all of them (both of them?) did well.

Last night Price had 2 outs and 2 men on base in the 5th, and Cora did not hesitate to pull him.

To me anyone who complains about Cora's handling of the bullpen doesn't understand baseball.
    Solid post Max.

Maxie , This forum has no shortage of people who don't understand baseball.

Part of being a great manager is to get marginal players to play over their heads by finding or creating roles or situations they can be successful in.

Other than Kimbrel, our pen looks like a joke, on paper, and even Kimbrel has struggled. Despite all that, our pen still ranked 10th in team WAR. They've also held their own vs the best pens in MLB, so far, in the playoffs.

Cora is a big reason we have gotten this far. Those criticizing him would criticize any manager for anything that does not work. Every bad play, bad game and loss is always the managers fault.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Part of being a great manager is to get marginal players to play over their heads by finding or creating roles or situations they can be successful in.

Other than Kimbrel, our pen looks like a joke, on paper, and even Kimbrel has struggled. Despite all that, our pen still ranked 10th in team WAR. They've also held their own vs the best pens in MLB, so far, in the playoffs.

Cora is a big reason we have gotten this far. Those criticizing him would criticize any manager for anything that does not work. Every bad play, bad game and loss is always the managers fault.

Exactly.

I live in Chicago where I know Cubs' fans who think Maddon needs to be fired because Terrance Gore struck out in the WC game. Huh?

Well said Max.

Cora is not always right, and no manager is, but his moves seem to work out way more often than not.

He has had me scratching my head a few times, but with the success that he's had, he gets the benefit of the doubt, even if a certain move goes awry.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Exactly.

I live in Chicago where I know Cubs' fans who think Maddon needs to be fired because Terrance Gore struck out in the WC game. Huh?
    OTOH, there is Doofus Boone, who probably is at fault more often than not.