Register now to remove this ad

Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1454626364

Thread: 13/10 ALCS Game 1 vs Stros

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    I think we'll win tonight. Curious if Cole can handle the pressure and Cold weather too.
    I understand you hope they will win but it is far from a foregone conclusion.

Especially with price on the mound. 0-9 with a 6.03 ERA as a starter in the postseason, that certainly shouldn't instill confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    One thing about last night was after the Game, Pedro, Gary Sheffield, and Jimmy Rollins, all said, you want to get Verlander in the stretch, and get him out of his full wind-up. He's a different Pitcher out of the Stretch. Something to store away, and I'll guarantee Pedro will tell Mr. Cora about this. All 3 are the best, I enjoy them. All smart Ballplayers.
    To get Verlander or any other pitcher in the stretch , a team needs baserunners. Except for Verlander's own walks and WP, he would not have had to stretch very much. Maybe Cora will hold a clubhouse meeting today and and tell the guys to get on base. Or maybe just make contact with any center cut FB's they may see.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Tough sentiments, but I agree with them. I disliked the whining, even when there was some justification. When you take good pitches and swing at bad, you have no business whining about a call. I don't give the Sox pitchers as much credit as you do though. Many of the pitches for balls were no where near the plate. None wanted to throw strikes and none could get ahead in the count. Sale blew up for a while, but so did Verlander.
    Benni is back to that long, useless swing again. That is his "hero" swing. His "I am going to hit it over the RF wall in Fenway Park" swing. Good luck with that Benni. He is not a big time HR power threat...PERIOD. JBJ is also back to a swing that he would do as well using if he just closed his eyes and hoped he ran into something. Neither are following the path that lead to their second half success which was going to the opposite field.

Besides the starting pitching in ALDS series what distinguished the Red Sox from the hopeless post season Yankees? What distinguished the two teams was the Sox ability to manufacture runs, to have productive AB's while the Yankees would do nothing but try to bang the ball over the fence.

Had Benni been looking oppo as he should have in his AB against Verlander, he would have either hit the ball outside to LF or fouled it off instead of taking it. If you look inside to pull the ball, you are never even going to foul a pitch like that off. JBJ for his part is just hopeless again and if he keeps this up he will remain hopeless.

This team stank up the place from top to bottom in this game, an utter disaster of a game which is why I think Cora saved Kimbrel for tonight. With one inning to play, I don't think Cora believed in his team on this given night, down 1 run or 100 runs with 1 half inning left to bat.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    To get Verlander or any other pitcher in the stretch , a team needs baserunners. Except for Verlander's own walks and WP, he would not have had to stretch very much. Maybe Cora will hold a clubhouse meeting today and and tell the guys to get on base. Or maybe just make contact with any center cut FB's they may see.
    Yeah, it's a freaking wonder these bozos led the majors in scoring.

When you can't muster offense against Verlander and the Houston relief corps you might as well just pack it in.

My take away on Game 1 includes :

1. In the end Verlander and Sale's results came to a 2-2 tie although Justin got 6 more outs. Sale wasn't fully loosened up until the 3rd. A cold , clammy ball at night in Boston is difficult to handle for some. The team's approach to this game seems to remind me of several other Sale starts earlier in the season, fall behind, sloppy play, no run support. I don't believe the guys actually sleepwalk behind the percetion that Sale is unbeatable but they sure don't play well behind him.

2. Nunez got fully exposed , but the dropped bouncer , likely DP ball, sank Kelly's 6th inning. If Devers had botched that play, all hell would break loose on what a loser he is. Sox opened an ALCS game with 2 journeyman (Holt, Nunez and a midseason PH'er/1B backup Pearce in the lineup, along with a .177 hitting catcher.

3. Big time hitters need to show up in big games. Betts got off to a good start with an opening single , but Betts through Pearce go 3 for 19, with Bpgaerts hit after being down 7-2 in the ninth. His DP in the first mattered. Benintendi, 0-4 with 3 K's and a bounced Cora.

4. Regardless of whether Cora was actually calling the moves or not Workman opening the 9th of a 3-2 game in a big series was irrational. That called for Kimbrel , who also needed to show he had rebounded from the Yankee mess the other night. BTW, didn't Josh Reddick used to be an asset owned by the hometown boys, but that was long ago.

5. The RedSox looked and played very tight, not appearing confident that they were in their park with the crowd on its feet. Then Sale tested everyone's patience, followed by the inept fielding , including Betts lucky recovery from chasing a pop-up that eluded a secure home in his glove . It took a great play by Bogaerts to save the out , on review.

6. The state of umpiring in the AL playoffs is abysmal , as shown by the strike zone feature and the numerous , consequential replay reversals. Nothing new here.

I dislike David Price as much as anyone, never been a fan of his or his 0-9 playoff record. I think he may be a mental midget with not much going on upstairs. BUT, he will deliver a very strong 6 innings tonight and keep the Sox in the game, if they can hit and field. Don't go to Houston down 0-2. Price will give them a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Yeah, it's a freaking wonder these bozos led the majors in scoring.

When you can't muster offense against Verlander and the Houston relief corps you might as well just pack it in.
    They actually did pack it in , in case you weren't noticing . Art bat, in the field, and on the mound. Total pack it in, which makes me think of some other advice that may apply to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    They actually did pack it in , in case you weren't noticing . Art bat, in the field, and on the mound. Total pack it in, which makes me think of some other advice that may apply to yourself.
    Sure thing STORK.

Quote Originally Posted by d-money View Post
    Well the series likely will be over if they fall down 0-2. This team is not the 2004 Red Sox. I still feel cora’s making a huge mistake here. Eovaldi should be pitching here.
    More importantly, the Astros pitching staff is not the Yankees 2004 staff.

In game 2, Cole will have no pressure at the start of the game. It is up to our offense to pressure him early and make him uncomfortable. Mookie needs to start playing like an MVP and not a below average replacement player. He is the spark plug that makes this team go. He needs to step it up. If he does, this will be a competitive series that will go 7 games. If not, tonight could be the last home game of 2018.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."