Didi to have TJS

just announced

crap

bad news for the Yanks, what a week!!!

Hello Manny.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Hello Manny.
    I certainly hope not.........

Manny is gonna happen now. Just book it. The Yanks may have to non tender him. He’s a FA after 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Manny is gonna happen now. Just book it. The Yanks may have to non tender him. He’s a FA after 2019.
    I doubt they just let him go.

I know a lot of people will use Torres as an example, but he had TJS on his non throwing arm. This is an 8-9 month injury with rehab for a position player. If he has surgery tomorrow, we could see him mid May if all is ok, although the ASB is likely more realistic. This is devastating

They probably NT him and work out a two year deal

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    They probably NT him and work out a two year deal
    The player would not do that. He's not a pitcher being lowball with recovery time paid off.

6-9 month recovery time for non-pitchers supposedly. Maybe they'll be in on Machado but since Didi won't be out the whole year they might just shift Torres over to short and get a cheaper fill in/bench player for 2nd (Jed Lowrie, Daniel Murphy, DJ LaMaheu or however the hell you spell it).

That’s assuming no setbacks, and it’s not 6 months. Closer to 8-9. If all goes completely swimmingly, he’d be back mid May. I’m going with a more pessimistic timetable of June-July, ie around mid season.

Yes, the player would take a deal like that. Nobody is gonna pay him $13 mil for a half season, assuming all goes well. Plus, he knows where he fits in history. If the Yanks cut him loose and he signs elsewhere, he’d get $6-$7 mil maximum for 2019. I anticipate the Yankees would try to leverage that into a longer term deal. Also, Didi hitting the market after an injury shortened season where anything can happen could hurt his value. I can see the Yanks signing him for 2yrs $30 mil. This gives him a nice guarantee. It gives him what the qualifying offer would be for 2020 and allows him to hit the market while he is young and healthy. If he doesn’t make it back the same or has recurrent problems, then he gets a sizable guarantee. I love Didi, but I also agree that a predicted $12.5-$13 mil arb number heading into a season where he’s going to miss a good chunk of it doesn’t make sense. Now, I’d give him that $12.5 mil plus the QO number for 2020 of he’d extend for a season

The yanks might grab this opportunity and offer something like 5/65 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    The yanks might grab this opportunity and offer something like 5/65 or so.
    That is what I am saying. I am considering that the Yankees will show some level of non-lowball to him in exchange for Didi extending shorter than he would want. Think about it. If the Yanks non-tender Didi this year and move on from him, what deal will he get on the open market? He probably gets a bunch of 3 yr $35 mil offers. He will get some 5 year deals in the range you said. They are all lowballing his talents. If he chose to do a 1 yr deal and re-test the market? He will get maybe $5-$6 mil for next year knowing he may miss up to half of it. I think the Yankees take the prudent approach. A 1 yr $12.5 mil deal is a non-starter. There is no point to tossing $12.5 mil his way when there is a reasonable chance he isn't playing in the bigs until the ASB. Now, if he were healthy and signed the tender and then signed the QO, he would get about $30 mil over the next 2 seasons. No way he would sign that healthy, but hurt, I bet he would. It would be a show of good faith from NY while also allowing Didi the safety of knowing his job will be there when he returns.
    Hal sucks

The Yankees will kick Didi to the curb and sign Machado. Screw them.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    The Yankees will kick Didi to the curb and sign Machado. Screw them.
    I doubt it. Machado wasn't a good defender at SS this past yr and while Gleyber has the tools to be a good SS, he wasn't one this season. My bet is we sign Machado to play 3b long term but he sees time at SS until Didi returns. I think the Yankees will use this injury to lock him up for 2020 at least
    Hal sucks