Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Kimbrel Shook?

Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    I do recall that it didn't work. But I still think any kind of CLOSER idea has a way of feeding on itself. If you need a CLOSER that means that the 9th inning is loaded with Danger and therefore calls for heroics. This is now part of all our psyches. And it makes all other relievers look in awe at the 9th.

I mean the 9th might be a hard inning or it might be the easiest inning... if you're facing the 6-8 batters, do you need a heroic, overpaid pitcher for that??

Anyway right now, things are starting to be shaken up by teams like Tampa Bay and Milwaukee. So maybe we can de-mystify the 9th to a degree.
    I don't think you can 'de-mystify' the 9th. Pitching the 9th with a 1-run or even a 2-run lead is always going to be stressful.

Certainly a lot has been said, and even a little has been done, about using the best reliever in the truly critical situation, which can often occur before the 9th.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I don't think you can 'de-mystify' the 9th. Pitching the 9th with a 1-run or even a 2-run lead is always going to be stressful.
    Depends. Is it stressful against the 7-8-9 hitters?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Depends. Is it stressful against the 7-8-9 hitters?
    Not as stressful, I would presume. But there's always the possibility of pinch hitters. And one guy reaches base and you're back to the top of the order. And they're still major league hitters and randomness and yada yada yada...

All-Star

Certainly a lot has been said, and even a little has been done, about using the best reliever in the truly critical situation, which can often occur before the 9th.
    I don't disagree, but during the season, I think some of this emphasis on the 9th can be taken off. Why does it make me feel miserable when I see Barnes or Brasier come in and dispense with 3 guys with 8 pitches, and look so comfortable and in synch in doing so, and then see them vanish for the night. But again, I do know that it's also a matter of getting pitchers work.

Maybe I could do better with my choke up the damn bat argument. (ha ha)

I don't disagree, but during the season, I think some of this emphasis on the 9th can be taken off. Why does it make me feel miserable when I see Barnes or Brasier come in and dispense with 3 guys with 8 pitches, and look so comfortable and in synch in doing so, and then see them vanish for the night. But again, I do know that it's also a matter of getting pitchers work.
    Also, if Barnes or Brasier could do this routinely, they would be the closer. Quite possibly one of them will be next year.

Also, if Barnes or Brasier could do this routinely, they would be the closer. Quite possibly one of them will be next year.
    Probably Barnes.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    just keep putting up 8+ runs and we wont have to worry so much about our leprechaun....
    Exactly.

I do recall that it didn't work. But I still think any kind of CLOSER idea has a way of feeding on itself. If you need a CLOSER that means that the 9th inning is loaded with Danger and therefore calls for heroics. This is now part of all our psyches. And it makes all other relievers look in awe at the 9th.

I mean the 9th might be a hard inning or it might be the easiest inning... if you're facing the 6-8 batters, do you need a heroic, overpaid pitcher for that??

Anyway right now, things are starting to be shaken up by teams like Tampa Bay and Milwaukee. So maybe we can de-mystify the 9th to a degree.
    I, along with many others, have always felt like your 'closer' should come into the later innings whenever the game really needs saving. If that's in the 7th inning, then so be it. Make it through the high leverage 7th inning, then worry about the 8th and 9th innings when you get there.

There's no point in saving your best reliever for a 9th inning save that may never come.

If kimbrel is pitching tonight, then hopefully we have a two run lead in the 9th.

The argument that the game can be lost in the 7th/8th , prior to the Cler's appearance, is a strong one, but often you won't know it's major trouble until that pitcher has got 2 or 3 on and runs scored, so your best reliever, the Closer, might be late to the fire. The 9th is probably given so much significance and begot the Closer because if you get those 3 outs, it's over and no more chances.

I’m completely comfortable with Kimbrel coming in with a five run cushion.. anything less than that is a nail biter. Another poor outing from our closer tonight. The guy has no guts in big games it seems. The Red Sox won despite him tonight. 3-1 lead in the ALCS feels darn good though!

That’s pathetic when you’re closer has to have a five run lead for you to feel comfortable for him to pitch. He used to be a lock down closer but again that was in Atlanta in San Diego. When he came to Boston he said this is exactly what he wanted and boy did he get a dose of it last couple games he’s pitched. He hasn’t done remotely close to good in any of the games. He keeps pitching like that one of these games they’re going to get him and it’s going to cost us. I think he should be just shut down for the playoffs.

He allowed 6 base runners in two innings of “work” last night. His command is trash and to make things worse, he was looking to the dugout a few times in the 9th almost as if to say.. “Get me the fuck out of here!” He’s putting Cora in a tough spot right now.

Such a strange situation, never would I have imagined our set up men would be money and Craig Kimbrel will be the huge question mark. Can a team win a World Series with a closer who gives up runs ever time out?

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz Fan Since '67 View Post
    Such a strange situation, never would I have imagined our set up men would be money and Craig Kimbrel will be the huge question mark. Can a team win a World Series with a closer who gives up runs ever time out?
    Kimbrel was showing signs of decline before the playoffs.

true, I was more worried about the rest of the pen, especially beyond Barnes & Brazier.