Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: 10/18 ALCS game 5

The Astros are reeling on the ropes. Time to deliver the knockout punch. No doubt the Price haters will have the long knives out and sharpened. Here's hoping he can shut them up. Go Sox.

Station mojo is real.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Station mojo is real.
    He's underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by YastrzemskI View Post
    I’ll forgive Price for his post season shortcomings if he goes 7 shut out innings tonight. I think we all would.
    I am sure Price is hoping for your forgiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    The Astros are reeling on the ropes. Time to deliver the knockout punch. No doubt the Price haters will have the long knives out and sharpened. Here's hoping he can shut them up. Go Sox.
    My anxiety has been sky rocketing all day for this game. Love playoff baseball but not how it makes me feel lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    I doubt Brasier is available tonight. I'm not sure about Barnes, but I would prefer saving Barnes for games 6 & 7. The Red Sox will likely go with their B bullpen today, relying on guys like Workman and Hembree.

Who knows, maybe Price will come up big and guys like Workman and Hembree will also get it done. And perhaps Verlander will be off his game. It could happen, but the Astros are the clear favorites going into tonight based on the SP matchup.

I'm giving Pearce a day off. He is 35 years old, not accustomed to regular playing time, and it doesn't look like Moreland is going to start again in this series.
    Betts RF
    Benintendi LF
    Martinez DH
    Bogaerts SS
    Devers 3b
    Holt 2b
    Swihart 1b
    Vazquez C
    Bradly Jr. CF
    Pearce will be starting tonight and I'm glad he is. His approach at the plate recently has been outstanding.

I am sure Price is hoping for your forgiveness.
    You can bet your ass Price knows the fans are giving up on him in the playoffs. He wants to perform for himself and his fans. Right now he is the most untrusted pitcher next to Kimbrel In the playoffs.

I wish Price the very best tonight. He's only in this position because our so called ACE is too fragile to pitch a complete season.

No doubt the Price haters will have the long knives out and sharpened. Here's hoping he can shut them up. Go Sox.
    I am a price hater (more accurately a DD why you give price $31 x 7 hater). but i am rooting for him all season and will continue to root for him tonight. I believe he can give us 6ip / 2er tonight. but will not be surprised if he goes 2.1 ip / 5er

Major Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    I am a price hater (more accurately a DD why you give price $31 x 7 hater). but i am rooting for him all season and will continue to root for him tonight. I believe he can give us 6ip / 2er tonight. but will not be surprised if he goes 2.1 ip / 5er
    If he struggles tonight I won't hold it against him. 3 days rest along with all the pitches he threw in the bullpen yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwell View Post
    If he struggles tonight I won't hold it against him. 3 days rest along with all the pitches he threw in the bullpen yesterday.
    valid point Green.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwell View Post
    Good point.

I’ve said it before. His 2nd start wasn’t as bad as we think. Xander was a lazy play away from Price getting 5 innings with 2 runs. It’s very unfortunate.

This is a good scenario for Price. If he wins he will be doing it on 3 days rest which no one is expecting.
    If he loses , well people were expecting as he's pitching on 3 days rest along with the history of playoff failure.
    They are also up 3-1 so there's no pressure as the series is not all on him.

Major Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    This is a good scenario for Price. If he wins he will be doing it on 3 days rest which no one is expecting.
    If he loses , well people were expecting as he's pitching on 3 days rest along with the history of playoff failure.
    They are also up 3-1 so there's no pressure as the series is not all on him.
    If he gets into the 5th with 2 or fewer runs I'll be impressed.

Deity
    I would have started ERod tonight and am fascinated Cora did not. I'm sure he's right, of course.

This ALCS has been really tricky for Cora to manage: starters who can't get started; closer/stopper who leaks a lot; offense that works but in unexpected ways (especially JBJ); injuries to key guys (Wright, Sale, Moreland); defensive issue at 3B; going against two 100 win juggernauts, both of whom were favored to beat the Sox.

Tonight is all of the above and more. Sale is out. Price pitched Sunday and gave up 4 walks, a dinger, and 4 runs in 4.2 innings and threw 80 pitches. The bullpen has been worked hard, especially Kelly, Barnes, Brasier, and Kimbrel. ERod, Hembree, and Workman should all be ready, and tomorrow is an off day.

My real point is that Cora seems very good at improvising. And boy is he decisive. ERod pitched to one guy, walked him, and was gone. Brasier took over, finished that inning unscathed, and got 2 outs in the 7th before Barnes came in for the final out. Then, lo and behold, Kimbrel, THE RESTED ONE, came in for a 2 inning save with a 3 run lead. Maybe the first time ever, especially in a Sox uniform. But he walked 3 guys, gave up 2 hits, and even got another HBP--and the last out, the game-winner, was a Bregman hard liner that Beni made a great play on--thank goodness for the glove on the right hand.

To me Cora has the rare ability to be decisive even when he leaves someone in. He fully assimilates the current situation--and the overall context of the game and the series--and simply knows what he wants to do at any given moment.

So I see tonight as simply more of the same. The lineup is intact and gives Cora some options. It all begins with Price of course. And it helps that there are still two games at Fenway if needed.