Register now to remove this ad

Page 149 of 161 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 2405

Thread: And the off season begins (2018-19)

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Kind of a boring Hot Stove League so far . We need a major surprise or two to stoke the fire a bit and create some excitement.
    No, we really don't need any offseason excitement or surprises.

Be careful what you wish for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Not sure I want any unpleasant surprises.
    Exactly.

If it isn't broke...

Legend
    Kind of a boring Hot Stove League so far . We need a major surprise or two to stoke the fire a bit and create some excitement.
    Good for the Red Sox, bad for baseball in general. It beats a work stoppage - that will be a couple of years from now.

Deity

It actually seems slower than last year. I’m tempted to go out and make free agent offers to Machado and Harper myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Exactly.

If it isn't broke...
    One could argue not bringing back CJ & JK is "breaking" it.

Deity
    DD has somewhat of a habit of acquiring players who’ve played for him before (Bryan Holaday, Rajai Davis, Ian Kinsler, Doug Fister, Johnny Peralta, and most recently Daniel Schlereth), which is not uncommon. In fact, a lot of employers like familiarity.

This makes me think if the Sox sign any reliever, the best bet might be Alex Wilson...

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    If you believe in fWAR, losing Kelly's 0.7 fWAR shouldn't hurt too much (great postseason aside).
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

" If it ain't broke, don't fix it " makes sense. But you do need to maintain it or it will surely break.

This offer ($25M average annual value) for Machado, who is 26 and has a career .905 OPS, represents a continued issue with free agency. Ownership is showing an unwillingness to pay the top free agents what they deserve for a second straight year.

Per Christopher Smith at MasaLive

Do sportswriters take Economics class? Market value is where buyer and seller agrees to a price.

It DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU THINK YOUR HOUSE IS WORTH. IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT BUYERS ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR YOUR HOUSE.

What you deserve has nothing to do with what you may get.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    No, we really don't need any offseason excitement or surprises.

Be careful what you wish for.
    Excitement? Hell we signed Eovaldi and Pearce. That was pretty exciting. I have good feeling about those two.
    Last edited by Nick; 01-16-2019 at 03:58 PM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This offer ($25M average annual value) for Machado, who is 26 and has a career .905 OPS, represents a continued issue with free agency. Ownership is showing an unwillingness to pay the top free agents what they deserve for a second straight year.

Do sportswriters take Economics class? Market value is where buyer and seller agrees to a price.

It DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU THINK YOUR HOUSE IS WORTH. IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT BUYERS ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR YOUR HOUSE.

This is true ... now if a 26 year old FA without a significant injury history is not getting paid, then things are tough. Baseball is giving less of its revenue to players than other sports. Owners are being smart given the system etc. I have no doubt the system will change in a couple of years.

Excitement? Hell we signed Eovaldi and Pearce. That was pretty exciting. I have good feeling about those two.
    I do, too, but I did about Nunez after re re-signed him before 2018.

Fair. But I'm just not concerned about our BP. IMO, they are easily replaceable.

I am pleased to have both of those players returning.

What we don't need is the excitement of a blockbuster deal that involves the trade of Bogaerts, Porcello, or someone along those lines.

All-Star

If Machado is available at 7 years for $25 a year, I'd grab him and trade Bogaerts in a heartbeat. Although I'm positive the price for Machado is going to get much higher.