Register now to remove this ad

Page 37 of 161 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast

Thread: And the off season begins (2018-19)

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @EricFisherSBJ

Industry sources say MLB’s new rights deal w Fox Sports is a 7-yr deal covering the 2022-28 seasons and is worth about $5.1B, about a 50 percent bump from the current term.
    Simply amazing. Where does all the f'king money come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    My cable bill I guess?

Viewership is down. Half of LA can't watch the Dodgers because of the tv rights out there. Just crazy.

I don't see how they make money on this at all. Advertisers must be willing to pay a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Check what the price of commercial air time is. I would think it's going through the roof with all these new deals.

the 99%.
    other names i have posted under: none

Legend
    It's a big bet on digital rights. Obviously live television is the one thing holding the "cord" together.

Also for FOX it is particularly important ... FS1 needs content.

Apparently talks are also occuring with the other TV partners. ESPN I'm sure wants to get more LDS rights. TBS in general is not very good imo although Brian Anderson is probably the best of the national PBP guys.
    Last edited by sk7326; 11-15-2018 at 12:55 PM.

There is a lot of competition for the consumer dollar. Advertisers are paying big bucks to buy time on these telecasts. Of course, the cost is passed on to the consumers. The networks , the sponsors , MLB , the owners , the players, the advertising firms , everybody makes out very well. And we pay the tab . Over the years , I have noticed a change in the type of sponsors you see for sports. It used to be beer , cigars , chewing gum, razor blades and such. Now you get new automobiles, vacation and travel destinations, airlines , banks with credit card offers , etc. Much more high end stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    We have enjoyed watching some great Red Sox teams in recent years. Now is the time for us to pitch in. If every member of Red Sox Nation would contribute only nineteen dollars a month ( just pennies a day ) , we could enable Sox ownership to keep this team intact for years to come. Please help today.
    Careful!

I almost busted my gut again!

Much is well hidden like most businesses do.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    There is a lot of competition for the consumer dollar. Advertisers are paying big bucks to buy time on these telecasts. Of course, the cost is passed on to the consumers. The networks , the sponsors , MLB , the owners , the players, the advertising firms , everybody makes out very well. And we pay the tab . Over the years , I have noticed a change in the type of sponsors you see for sports. It used to be beer , cigars , chewing gum, razor blades and such. Now you get new automobiles, vacation and travel destinations, airlines , banks with credit card offers , etc. Much more high end stuff.
    They are even putting ads up in side panels when the game is on. It's as if they are conditioning us for more and more ads and less and less actual content.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I’m hoping they can retain as many Killer B’s as possible, but really, what is a realistic number? Maybe 2? Maybe not even? A lot of these players have already refused extension talks (as Bradley and Bogaerts are represented by Boras, this is not a surprise). So in order to keep them, it’s probably market price. For Betts , that means the Machado-Harper payscale that we’re going to see in the next 5-6 weeks. But I don’t expect all of them to leave.

Sale is a different matter. He probably shouldn’t be re-signed when his deal is up. And Eovaldi is not going to replace him...
    I don't expect all of them to leave either, but the problem is, even if we retain 2 of the Killer B's, there will be a lot of other roster spots that will have to be filled in about a 2 year span.

What are we going to fill them with? Prospects? Free agents?

I agree that Sale should not be re-signed if it's going to take a monster contract.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Can you see a scenario whereby Sox trading away one major piece (for younger pieces) and still remain competitive for 2020?
    Yes - although really this was the best offseason to do it (Bogaerts). The team realizes they have a special opportunity. Henry has the luxury of letting the team's performance dictate this ultimately.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    They are even putting ads up in side panels when the game is on. It's as if they are conditioning us for more and more ads and less and less actual content.
    Thank goodness for DVRs is all I have to say.

I can't sit through all the ads during the games.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Yes - although really this was the best offseason to do it (Bogaerts). The team realizes they have a special opportunity. Henry has the luxury of letting the team's performance dictate this ultimately.
    In Henry we trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    In Henry we trust.
    No choice.

No choice.
    Well, truth be told, Henry has not let me down yet.