Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 161 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: And the off season begins (2018-19)

And the off season begins (2018-19)

Kimbrel
    Eovaldi
    Pomeranz

All free agents. I think we keep 1 of them, maybe 2 if Kimbrel stock drops with his post season hiccups.
    I do not want Eovaldi walked. He was the Sox post season hero.

Let Pmeranz go. Keep the others
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Kimbrel
    Eovaldi
    Pomeranz

All free agents. I think we keep 1 of them, maybe 2 if Kimbrel stock drops with his post season hiccups.
    I do not want Eovaldi walked. He was the Sox post season hero.
    You forgot about Pearce (and Kelly & Kinsler).

Don't forget Pearce, Kinsler and Kelly. I would like to see the Sox bring back Kelly, Pearce and Eovaldi. Kinsler is gone for sure with Pedey coming back. Pomeranz is gone for sure. I would like Kimbrel back but he will want too much money and too many years. I think Leon gets traded and Swihart is the full time platoon with Vazquez. I think this season showed that its not who you start the season with, its who you have when the season ends. Dave Dombrowski and his staff deserve a tremendous amount of credit for what they did. I don't hear anyone complaining about DD gutting the Sox farm system now. He made the moves he had to make to get a championship. The cost was well worth it. Great job. Go Sox!

Quote Originally Posted by Tedballgame View Post
    Don't forget Pearce, Kinsler and Kelly. I would like to see the Sox bring back Kelly, Pearce and Eovaldi. Kinsler is gone for sure with Pedey coming back. Pomeranz is gone for sure. I would like Kimbrel back but he will want too much money and too many years. I think Leon gets traded and Swihart is the full time platoon with Vazquez. I think this season showed that its not who you start the season with, its who you have when the season ends. Dave Dombrowski and his staff deserve a tremendous amount of credit for what they did. I don't hear anyone complaining about DD gutting the Sox farm system now. He made the moves he had to make to get a championship. The cost was well worth it. Great job. Go Sox!
    I agree with all of this except the part about Leon and Swihart. I think Swihart is the one that gets the boot, but I'm biased because I love Leon too much

I remember a poster earlier this year saying the Sox gave up too much (Beeks) for Eovaldi and that they gave up a too good of a prospect for Pearce. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I agree with all of this except the part about Leon and Swihart. I think Swihart is the one that gets the boot, but I'm biased because I love Leon too much
    Vazquez proved in the series that he should be the starting catcher. Leon can't hit at all. Swihart has too much offensive potential to give up on him. If they would be able to get something good for Swihart is the only reason to move on from him.

Vazquez proved in the series that he should be the starting catcher. Leon can't hit at all. Swihart has too much offensive potential to give up on him. If they would be able to get something good for Swihart is the only reason to move on from him.
    The pitchers on this team, particularly Sale, value Leon's ability to call a game

Swihart, Pomeranz, Eovaldi and Pearce go. Kelly is re-signed. Kimbel is given a QO.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

All-Star
    Re-sign Evoaldi, Pearce and Kelly.
    Offer QQ to Kimbrel.
    Let Pomeranz and Kinsler walk
    Keep Swilhart he offers valuable depth at a few positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    Re-sign Evoaldi, Pearce and Kelly.
    Offer QQ to Kimbrel.
    Let Pomeranz and Kinsler walk
    Keep Swilhart he offers valuable depth at a few positions.
    This ^
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Deity
    The entire point of a trade is to get something good, i.e. something you need. The Sox are much more likely to get a better player for Swihart than they are for Leon...

Since we went over the luxury tax, I believe all we get for a QO offer denial (Kimbrel) is a 4th round pick.

I think we bring back Pearce & Kelly.

We try to replace Kimbrel with Kelly, Barnes or Brasier (Thornburg & Smith are long shots), but we also sign a cheaper closer to add to the mix.

We give Wright, Johnson, Velazquez and Shawaryn a long look-see, and like this year, if we run short of starter depth, we'll look for the next gem like Eovaldi, in July.

We also will wait out 2B to see if anyone jumps up to grab the job FT.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The entire point of a trade is to get something good, i.e. something you need. The Sox are much more likely to get a better player for Swihart than they are for Leon...
    More likely, we won't get much for Leon or Swihart, so we might keep all 3 again, but have Swihart work out at 1B and 3B in the off season.

We also have rule 5 guys to trade or make room for on the 25 man roster:

Victor Acosta
    Christopher Acosta
    Yoan Aybar
    Roldani Baldwin
    Trey Ball
    Juan Barriento
    Edilson Batista
    Eduard Bazardo
    Jordan Betts
    Marino Campana
    Rusney Castillo
    Michael Chavis
    Luis Colmenares
    Eduard Conde
    Harrison Cooney
    Jake Cosart
    Ricardo Cubillan
    Enmanuel De Jesus
    Chad De La Guerra
    Jhonathan Diaz
    Jerry Downs
    Nick Duron
    Junior Espinoza
    Willis Figueroa
    Devon Fisher
    Austin Glorius
    Daniel Gonzalez
    Juan Hernandez
    Darwinzon Hernandez
    Oscar Hernandez
    Tyler Hill
    Dedgar Jimenez
    Trevor Kelley
    Trenton Kemp
    Matt Kent
    Travis Lakins
    Marcos Lantigua
    Adam Lau
    Deiner Lopez
    Isaias Lucena
    Chris Madera
    Danny Mars
    Algenis Martinez
    Tate Matheny
    Kevin McAvoy
    Daniel McGrath
    Samuel Miranda
    Joseph Monge
    Mark Montgomery
    Jhon Nunez
    Josh Ockimey
    Angel Padron
    Yorvin Pantoja
    Yankory Pimentel
    Roniel Raudes
    Austin Rei
    Hildemaro Requena
    Denyi Reyes
    Eddy Reynoso
    Jeremy Rivera
    Jake Romanski
    Teddy Stankiewicz
    Kevin Steen
    Cole Sturgeon
    Josh Taylor
    Luke Tendler
    Josh Tobias
    Carlos Tovar
    Kyri Washington
    Jantzen Witte
    Kyle Wren

Henry/DD will only "keep it going" (ie spend money) with one though in mind. Win back to back World Series.

1 Sign Eovaldi. This is a hedge against losing both Sale and Porcello after 2019. It's a smart move. Goal is to win the world series, not jut to sign a fifth starter. Assuming E Rod continues to improve, our starting pitching will be loaded and gives us more options for 2019 playoff run.

2 Wait and see at 2B. We have enough hitting elsewhere. If Pedey has to 'retire', then trade for 2B in July.

3. I'd look for cost controlled closer in a trade. We may have to give up some young talent again but the goal is to win it all.