Register now to remove this ad

Page 82 of 161 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 2405

Thread: And the off season begins (2018-19)

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Subscription required...
    Harmony should copy/paste the article.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Clearing money for the bullpen is not implausible.
    Clearing money for the bullpen while creating holes elsewhere doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I would not be happy if any of those players is traded so that we can sign a reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    At least the offseason is fun.
    I am not a fan of the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I am not a fan of the offseason.
    If we didn't have the offseason drama, how would we get through these 5 months?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Harmony should copy/paste the article.
    As someone whose work has value, I respect copyright laws and other protections of intellectual property.

And I don't have a subscription to The Athletic.

I don't enjoy the off season, but do kind of enjoy the break. In the Summer it seems like there is so many games and I watch a lot of them, and some of those games, especially the playoffs, were really stressful.

Rays To Sign Charlie Morton
    By Mark Polishuk | December 12, 2018 at 4:39pm CDT
    4:39pm: Morton will receive consecutive $15MM salaries, per Jon Heyman of Fancred (via Twitter). The deal includes assignment bonuses if Morton is traded, valued at $1MM in 2019 and $500K in 2020.

And he will soon resort to the pitcher that he was with the Pirates.
    Last edited by a700hitter; 12-12-2018 at 06:26 PM.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

You’re saying a pitcher is gonna go to the Rays and worsen? It’s usually the other way around. Morton found his power in Houston. He had been a sinker baller and kept getting middling results. Houston turned him into a 4 seam guy again and his K rates jumped through the roof. I hate this move. We already struggled vs the Rays, now we face a guy who hurts us up to 6 times next year instead of the standard 2-3.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    You’re saying a pitcher is gonna go to the Rays and worsen? It’s usually the other way around. Morton found his power in Houston. He had been a sinker baller and kept getting middling results. Houston turned him into a 4 seam guy again and his K rates jumped through the roof. I hate this move. We already struggled vs the Rays, now we face a guy who hurts us up to 6 times next year instead of the standard 2-3.
    I think it will go the other way. Without the solid defense and high octane offense backing him up in Houston, he will look like the pitcher that he was with the Pirates. With their use of starting pitching, he may only pitch 3 innings each start.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Rangers Nearing Deal With Lance Lynn

By Jeff Todd | December 12, 2018 at 5:57pm CDT
    The Rangers are nearing a deal with veteran free agent hurler Lance Lynn, according to MLB.com’s TR Sullivan (via Twitter). It’s said to be a rather surprising three-year arrangement with a strong $30MM guarantee, with MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand adding the financial details on Twitter.
    Last winter, Lynn seemed in line for a significant, long-term deal before he settled for a pillow contract with the Twins. After turning in middling results in the ensuing campaign, it did not seem likely he’d get a terribly lengthy arrangement this time around.

MLBTR predicted a two-year, $16MM pact. That felt terribly rich to anyone that failed to look beneath his 4.77 ERA from 2018. But Lynn did show some intriguing underlying numbers, particularly after landing with the Yankees in a mid-season swap.
    In today's market, this could be considered a bargain, but he sucks.

Any notions that contract costs are leveling out are kaput.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Any notions that contract costs are leveling out are kaput.
    Doesn't it make you wonder just a little bit exactly how much money there is "floating around out there" in Major League baseball? It's no wonder that MLB teams are privately owned and therefore their balance sheets aren't available to shareholders.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Doesn't it make you wonder just a little bit exactly how much money there is "floating around out there" in Major League baseball? It's no wonder that MLB teams are privately owned and therefore their balance sheets aren't available to shareholders.
    I think you might be surprised how much money is made "off the books" or through separate entities. Then, there is the massive growth in each team's worth when the owner goes to sell the team.

In today's market, this could be considered a bargain, but he sucks.
    His ERA with NY was well north of 4, but his FIP was in the mid 2’s. He’s a better pitcher than he showed last year and that’s proven through his career. That being said, a three year guarantee for a guy coming off that season seems to be a reach. I wonder if Texas sought to buy low and flip. I wonder if Lynn goes to Texas and pitches like an ace for half the season, if he becomes a big trade chip at the deadline with the cheap control that comes with him being a major asset. It’s a $30 mil risk that may pay off handsomely or crash and burn spectacularly

Don’t pitchers go to arlington to die?

That place just seems to eats up mediocre pitching!