Register now to remove this ad

Page 31 of 161 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: And the off season begins (2018-19)

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    It makes perfect sense to offer Pearce a 1 year deal and see if he can do better in the market.
    I’m sure the Sox will make an offer, but one year? I assume it will be enclosed in a “Good Luck” card,.

The man turns 36 next year. Think he wants more free agency at this stage of his career?

3/24 split 10, 10 and 4 might work for both sides
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    It works great for Pearce, since he may be lucky to get $16M/2 or $20M/3.

I'm not sure we want $8M on the luxury tax budget for 2021, when we'll be pinching pennies everywhere to try and keep Betts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    I’d max out at 3 and $18 mil. If he takes a higher AAV and shorter years, good luck. He’d have trouble topping that cash outlay

Legend
    MLB Trade Rumors offers its offseason outlook for the Red Sox:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...red-sox-9.html

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I’m sure the Sox will make an offer, but one year? I assume it will be enclosed in a “Good Luck” card,.

The man turns 36 next year. Think he wants more free agency at this stage of his career?
    I think 1 year achieveable option is sensible ... I could see 2 years with a more team friendly third year. But given his age and career, you have to bet the under on his production going forward if you are looking at him outside of a platoon deal.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    If the Red Sox offer Pearce $2M, he will laugh in their face as well he should. If they offer $5M and a bunch of other people are offering $7M or something - then the other factors will probably kick in. If I were in his position I would want to be paid fairly - maybe not top dollar, but not insultingly so either. (like lester 4/70)
    Exactly.
    Don't low ball the guy and there's a good chance he'll choose to come back.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I’d max out at 3 and $18 mil. If he takes a higher AAV and shorter years, good luck. He’d have trouble topping that cash outlay
    The $6mill AAV seems to be about where the platoon/role players have been fit Boston in recent years, like Gomes and Chris Young. I expect a similar deal for Pearce, with 2-3 years being the range. No team is going in on him so much more than that that this is a cheapskate offer...

We've officially reached the part of the offseason where it's all speculation and nothing's happened. In short ... I'm bored. Wake me up when someone signs somewhere...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    We've officially reached the part of the offseason where it's all speculation and nothing's happened. In short ... I'm bored. Wake me up when someone signs somewhere...
    As long as it isn’t as slow as last off-season. Most years the free agents start signing around Thanksgiving and the bulk sign in December. Last year a lot were still unsigned well into January...

We're all bored. That's why we create things to argue about.

"It's almost Thanksgiving" and DESPERATE DAVE has yet to make one move. WTeFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    We're all bored. That's why we create things to argue about.
    Where is Larry when we need him.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Where is Larry when we need him.
    Larry's still here, in spirit.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It works great for Pearce, since he may be lucky to get $16M/2 or $20M/3.

I'm not sure we want $8M on the luxury tax budget for 2021, when we'll be pinching pennies everywhere to try and keep Betts.
    pinching pennies = Boston Red Sox