Register now to remove this ad

Page 491 of 509 FirstFirst ... 391441481489490491492493501 ... LastLast
Results 7,351 to 7,365 of 7627

Thread: A Realistic View at 2019: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Last year's team is back, and they are ready to keep winning.
    They are playing better for sure, but I don't see last year's team in what we have here.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    They are playing better for sure, but I don't see last year's team in what we have here.
    The offense still looks inconsistent. Have to be more consistent on offense. Pitching as well although sale and price have pitched better.

Quote Originally Posted by d-money View Post
    The offense still looks inconsistent. Have to be more consistent on offense. Pitching as well although sale and price have pitched better.
    The hitting will not be there every game. When it isn’t there, they need to force errors with their speed and putting on plays like they did last season.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

He may have been sarcastic...
    I realize that, but I wanted to go on record about it, if that is okay with you.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    I realize that, but I wanted to go on record about it, if that is okay with you.
    I’ll allow it.

I don’t think anyone wants to undo that trade, although the progress of Allen and Moncada has certainly quashed the myth from a couple years ago that the prospects the Sox gave up for Kimbrel and Sale were all busts...

I’ll allow it.

I don’t think anyone wants to undo that trade, although the progress of Allen and Moncada has certainly quashed the myth from a couple years ago that the prospects the Sox gave up for Kimbrel and Sale were all busts...
    Margot is really sucking this year, so there's that.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I generally prefer to disagree with you, but will not argue that repeating last year is anything but guaranteed. It's even a longshot at this point.

At the same time, however, I believe the Twins series was a watershed event, including the loss, which was anything but a bad loss. And I said that after the game and well before last night's game. Price asked not to go back out for the 6th, and Cora and the bullpen responded beautifully even though the Sox lost in the 17th. The proof was how the Sox demolished the Twins in game 3.

Last year's team is back, and they are ready to keep winning.

If Uehara in 2013 form were available, I would be more enthusiastic about getting a great closer, but, honestly, Kimbrel poisoned that well for me last year. He was and is an overpaid prima donna who folded like a cheap tent in the postseason. Brasier and Kelly and even Eovaldi (normally a starter) were a whole bunch better. This year Kelly is just one more earthquake in LA, Brasier has struggled, and Eovaldi is on the IL. So, basically, we need Cora and his pitching coach to be clairvoyant for the rest of the season in terms who comes in for a given inning. That bullpen has already carried a lot of water this season because the rotation has been inconsistent.

Oh, in case you missed it, I pointed out exactly how Cora was masterful in the middle game (17 innings) of the Twins series and will be happy to repeat that for you.

Maybe because I'm older--my Sox fandom began in 1949, 55 years before the end (2004) of the Curse--I am not spoiled by the humoungous success of the John Henry era in Boston. Thus to me our Sox cup runneth over with four WS wins in 14 years.

So, me, right now I'm pretty darn happy with this team and this manager. That winning streak and taking 2 of 3 vs. the Twins was no fluke. this is a solid team with no big weaknesses, not even our underpaid and over-maligned bullpen.
    Max, you are on a roll.

Cora mentioned a couple of games ago that he noticed a change in the clubhouse.

He said that last year's team is back.

I’ll allow it.

Undo the trade? Well not now that we have another WS Championship under our belt, but it's a trade that I would not have done. Dombrowski paid way too much for a relief pitcher, not only in prospects, but in $ as well.

I've seen glimpses, but not for any prolonged period of time.

Maybe "it" will come: maybe not, but maybe with a little tweak to the pitching staff, we can put together a long stretch of dominance that will convince us all we are a top contender.

Max, every year is a "longshot" when you have 3-5 really good teams and 3-5 part time contenders every year. Last year was a longshot. I remember posters giving up on our team multiple times last year- often with the same comments I'm reading now:

"We can't beat the good teams."

"We can't beat good pitching."

"Our pen is horrible compared to ______."

"We can't win without Sale."

"Price is a playoff choke."

"Kelly shouldn't make the playoff roster."

and on and on...

Let's keep the faith my brothers. (I don't need to say sisters because Kimmi is a true believer.)

We have more than half the season to go. I know it looks bleak with all the Yankees healthy, now, but stranger things have happened, and our team has the horses to make a strong run for the division title, and if we fall short, I like our rotation against any team in a short series with days off left and right.

We have a better defense with the improved Devers at 3B.

Our catcher and 2B positions are no longer "black holes" at the plate.

Bogey & Devers are having career years.

A tweak to the staff and rebounds from Betts & JD should be enough to make us a top 3-4 contender. That's all we can ask. Then lady lucky and timely hitting & pitching decides the rest.

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Max, you are on a roll.
    I agree. I don't always fully agree with him, but he has been spot on and very insightful, of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Cora mentioned a couple of games ago that he noticed a change in the clubhouse.

He said that last year's team is back.
    Let's hope he's right and not just saying this to help bring it to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

A tweak to the staff and rebounds from Betts & JD should be enough to make us a top 3-4 contender. That's all we can ask. Then lady lucky and timely hitting & pitching decides the rest.

Fair enough. I don't know why Betts is a shadow of the player from last year, except that his slide at the plate actually started last September if I recall correctly. JDM has a bad back, is that why he's not the same? I don't know how you solve that except rest and physical therapy. But if he continues to play, his back won't get better.

JDM has a bad back, is that why he's not the same? I don't know how you solve that except rest and physical therapy. But if he continues to play, his back won't get better.
    Much ado about nothing. The 0 for 8 was a nightmare game. But in the other 2 games of the series he had 3 hits and a walk and 2 RBI.

And he's got an OPS of .953 in his last 10 games even with the 0 for 8.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Fair enough. I don't know why Betts is a shadow of the player from last year, except that his slide at the plate actually started last September if I recall correctly. JDM has a bad back, is that why he's not the same? I don't know how you solve that except rest and physical therapy. But if he continues to play, his back won't get better.
    I agree, and making sure JD DH's as much as possible is also a key component to keeping his back from acting up.

(If we had gotten EE...)