Register now to remove this ad

Page 51 of 509 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2019: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I've watched Moreland now for 2 years. Who are these guys with the character and attitude of Moreland? I watch Red Sox baseball so I'm actually not trying to argue with you. Do you watch and follow these other guys well enough you think to make that statement?
    I choose to believe most players are good character guys and prefer to play on teams that support each other and do what is best for the team, even if it means sitting on the bench when maybe you think you should be playing.

Like I said, I'm okay with Moreland, but I know we are losing a lot of comparative value at 1B- a position traditionally known for big offensive numbers.

I get that his defense and clubhouse values offset much of that offensive loss, and I don't really view him as a net negative, but when you look at the fact that our nearest competitors will be trying to make major improvements this winter, I can't help but look at positions where we are weakest- not weak, but weakest.

I don't want to mess with our catching duo, despite the .533 OPS. Maybe I'm wrong about this position, but I really value the intangibles Vaz & Leon bring to the team, the staff and the clubhouse/dugout.

We can't afford to spend big at 2B, and with six guys who could help at 2B (Holt, Nunez, Pedey, Lin, Quiroz, Hernandez), I think we wait that position out, at least until mid-season.

I look at 1B and think we could (not have to) better. Losing Pearce hurts. It looks, to me, like the easiest, least costly, everyday position to upgrade over the winter.

We may not need to touch anything having to do with everyday players. I think we'll lead the league in runs next year, even without Pearce (and Kinsler).

Deity
    I've watched Moreland now for 2 years. Who are these guys with the character and attitude of Moreland? I watch Red Sox baseball so I'm actually not trying to argue with you. Do you watch and follow these other guys well enough you think to make that statement?
    I don’t know Moreland at all, so I know nothing about his character.

But I used to follow Logan Morrison on Twitter because he is probably the best MLB player to follow. While occasionally he does air his gripes, he actually came across as a pretty cool guy overall who liked to let you know what was going on inside his head, and above all.

Granted, it’s only Twitter. But I think I have more insight into Morrison than into Moreland. All I’ve ever seen Moreland do is play baseball...

for all we know Moreland can be a complete a-hole.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

But I used to follow Logan Morrison on Twitter because he is probably the best MLB player to follow. While occasionally he does air his gripes, he actually came across as a pretty cool guy overall who liked to let you know what was going on inside his head, and above all.

Granted, it’s only Twitter. But I think I have more insight into Morrison than into Moreland. All I’ve ever seen Moreland do is play baseball...
    Curt Schillings blog the day after he pitched was must read. absolutely awesome stuff. and he is bat shit crazy. you just never know.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    for all we know Moreland can be a complete a-hole.
    He might be. He might be one of those guys who gets angry at teammates for not joining his prayer group. He might be a heavy drinker or that guy who takes total control of clubhouse music.

He is a good (not great, but that’s ok) baseball player. The Sox could do better at 1b, but they could do worse.

This free agent class offers no obvious upgrades at 1b. The Sox could do something crazy like sign Josh Donaldson to play 3b and move Devers to 1b, but that’s not likely in my opinion...

He might be. He might be one of those guys who gets angry at teammates for not joining his prayer group. He might be a heavy drinker or that guy who takes total control of clubhouse music.

He is a good (not great, but that’s ok) baseball player. The Sox could do better at 1b, but they could do worse.

This free agent class offers no obvious upgrades at 1b. The Sox could do something crazy like sign Josh Donaldson to play 3b and move Devers to 1b, but that’s not likely in my opinion...
    who knows with these guys. i think it would surprise alot of TS posters to find out that Hanley is a class guy. a huge heart that gives alot back to community. but he has those dreds so....

as for 1b 2019....i dont think we sign anyone. we have Mitchie pooh for 1 more season. JDM will platoon with him next year.

Deity

I don't know Moreland personally. I am basing my comments soley on what I have observed. If he is an ass-hole, I guess he hides it pretty well. It is once again just an opinion but I think that I would bet that he is a pretty decent guy and a pretty decent teammate. There are things that represent something greater than talent especially at this level.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    who knows with these guys. i think it would surprise alot of TS posters to find out that Hanley is a class guy. a huge heart that gives alot back to community. but he has those dreds so....

as for 1b 2019....i dont think we sign anyone. we have Mitchie pooh for 1 more season. JDM will platoon with him next year.
    Hanley who?

I don't know Moreland personally. I am basing my comments soley on what I have observed. If he is an ass-hole, I guess he hides it pretty well. It is once again just an opinion but I think that I would bet that he is a pretty decent guy and a pretty decent teammate. There are things that represent something greater than talent especially at this level.
    Yeah, I highly doubt DD would have been so quick to re-sign him if he was a jackass.

Cost of luxury tax, $40M plus threshold penalty

2018 $40M x 20% + $20M x 12% = $ 8M + $2.4M = $10.4M total cost $50.4M
    2019 $40M x 30% + $20M x 12% = $12M + $2.4M = $14.4M total cost $54.4M
    2020 $40M x 50% + $20M x 12% = $20M + $2.4M = $22.4M total cost $62.4M

Let's keep the math simple and assume that the luxury tax payroll is $200M. My question is this. In big scheme of things, is there a huge difference between $262.4M (50% penalty) vs $250.4M (20% penalty)?

What I'm getting to is this. Once you make the decision NOT to adhere to the luxury tax limit of $200M, would $12M dissuade you from putting the best product on the field?

For the Sox, the magic number is NOT $200M, but it's $240M and penalty of $22.4M (50%-3rd year) is not much off from the penalty of $10.4M (30% - 2nd year).

We PISS AWAY that money each year in non performing payroll. It's only 5% more. ($12.4M/$250.4)

We don't need to reset. Let's just wait for the new CB Agreement and hope the threshold gets a major bump for 2022,
    Last edited by Nick; 11-15-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Deity
    Maybe he’s a great guy. But we as fans have an extremely strong tendency to assign positive personalities to players who are playing well.

For example, in his first two seasons, i can’t tell you how many posters complained about how bad of a teammate John Lackey was and how awful of a human he was for always yelling at his infielders on every play as he struggled heavily in his first two seasons in Boston. But one T.J. surgery later, and Lackey is still out there yelling at infielders, but suddenly he is a good teammate. In fact, there were lots of complaints from fans when he was traded.

It turns out the big problem with Lackey’s personality might have been his inability to get his ERA under 5.00...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Yeah, I highly doubt DD would have been so quick to re-sign him if he was a jackass.

Unless DD prioritized financially cheap stability.

I don’t want to hypothetically assign any more positive or negative personality traits to Moreland specifically, since my point is that we really don’t know and a lot of it is subjective anyway. What one person likes about a guy might be loathed by another. Moreland is a good, not great, baseball player who is extremely likely to play 1b for the Sox next year. That’s really all we know...

Deity
    Maybe he’s a great guy. But we as fans have an extremely strong tendency to assign positive personalities to players who are playing well.

For example, in his first two seasons, i can’t tell you how many posters complained about how bad of a teammate John Lackey was and how awful of a human he was for always yelling at his infielders on every play as he struggled heavily in his first two seasons in Boston. But one T.J. surgery later, and Lackey is still out there yelling at infielders, but suddenly he is a good teammate. In fact, there were lots of complaints from fans when he was traded.

It turns out the big problem with Lackey’s personality might have been his inability to get his ERA under 5.00...
    I think i already pretty much understand what you are talking about. For the record, I don't think that I would say Moreland has played well. Maybe I'm not your typical fan. I don't tend to be wishy washy with my feelings when it comes to an athletes apparent attitude.

Legend

He had an okay 2010. In 2011 he was awful - but was a perfectly fine pitcher after his TJS. I have a hunch why he might have been awful in 2011.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I choose to believe most players are good character guys and prefer to play on teams that support each other and do what is best for the team, even if it means sitting on the bench when maybe you think you should be playing.

Like I said, I'm okay with Moreland, but I know we are losing a lot of comparative value at 1B- a position traditionally known for big offensive numbers.

I get that his defense and clubhouse values offset much of that offensive loss, and I don't really view him as a net negative, but when you look at the fact that our nearest competitors will be trying to make major improvements this winter, I can't help but look at positions where we are weakest- not weak, but weakest.

I don't want to mess with our catching duo, despite the .533 OPS. Maybe I'm wrong about this position, but I really value the intangibles Vaz & Leon bring to the team, the staff and the clubhouse/dugout.

We can't afford to spend big at 2B, and with six guys who could help at 2B (Holt, Nunez, Pedey, Lin, Quiroz, Hernandez), I think we wait that position out, at least until mid-season.

I look at 1B and think we could (not have to) better. Losing Pearce hurts. It looks, to me, like the easiest, least costly, everyday position to upgrade over the winter.

We may not need to touch anything having to do with everyday players. I think we'll lead the league in runs next year, even without Pearce (and Kinsler).

I agree with you in isolation, but if you look at the position around the AL this year, there was not much at 1B. Moreland/whomever was about as productive as most of them. I think it is fair to say that while Moreland is not a great all around 1B, the Red Sox used him to staff the position very effectively at a cost-effective clip.