Register now to remove this ad

Page 257 of 509 FirstFirst ... 157207247255256257258259267307357 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,855 of 7627

Thread: A Realistic View at 2019: Part I

Clippard signs with the Indians for $1.75M with $1M in possible incentives.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    I'm all about raising the ceiling....I'd like to see us extend Sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm all about raising the ceiling....I'd like to see us extend Sale.
    We all want Sale back.

Possible budget constraints is the only thing that may make it a tough choice.

I'd like to extend him, now, but waiting to see how his health looks makes sense, too. However, if he has a great season with 200+ IP, his price tag should go up.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We all want Sale back.

Possible budget constraints is the only thing that may make it a tough choice.

I'd like to extend him, now, but waiting to see how his health looks makes sense, too. However, if he has a great season with 200+ IP, his price tag should go up.
    Don't we have doctors that can give thorough physicals?

Deity
    Once again - if JH wants him back it will be a done deal. There is no reason not to want this guy to be locked up.

Yes, but the 100 best doctors could say he is 100% healed, and he could experience the same injury or a new (serious) one this season.

(knock on wood.)

Erod showed up in amazing shape and best of all....came with a wipeout slider to go with FB / changeup.
    I love our team this year.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Erod showed up in amazing shape and best of all....came with a wipeout slider to go with FB / changeup.
    I love our team this year.
    Me, too. I'm not projecting better than 108 wins, but with so many of our players on the rise towards prime or in the meat of their prime, I think we could win 105 games and still be a better team than the 2018 team (or at least the same).

Hosmer has alternated good and bad seasons his entire career. Watch next year he’ll be an .880 OPS guy with 25 HRs and everyone is going to want him again.

Anyone wanting to deal Price is gonna be disappointed. He’s now got injury concerns, he’s paid in excess of $30 mil AAV and he’s entering his mid 30s. He’s going nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Me, too. I'm not projecting better than 108 wins, but with so many of our players on the rise towards prime or in the meat of their prime, I think we could win 105 games and still be a better team than the 2018 team (or at least the same).
    And yet regression isn’t on your mind at all? Betts is going to continue this unrepeatable pace? Is King Kong JD going to surpass 1.000 OPS again? Can Xander keep up his career season? Yes, you’ve got some parts that either were hurt or underachieved, but the core of your offense stayed healthy and played bonkers. Expecting that plus improvements in health and production could happen, but it’s far more likely that someone crucial slips back a little or spends some time on the DL.

I don’t think the Sox win 100 this year. I doubt the yanks win 100. It’s very difficult to be in a division with two other very strong clubs and win as much as our teams did last year. The reasoning was that Tampa sucked and then went on a late run that was crazy to get them to 90 wins. They’re going to be good again and probably from the outset. Yes, we’ve got the worst team in baseball in our division and a middling squad likely hellbent on rebuilding, so that’ll help rack up wins. But games vs BOS, NYY and TB are going to be dogfights and that’s 38 games of the schedule. Last year TB was a pushover til June and the Sox owned them early. This year, they’ll be good. Let’s just assume that those 38 games are splits. 19-19. In order to win 100, a squad would have to go 81-43 (65%) against the rest and that’ll be hard to do again

Deity
    Last year the Sox went 21-17 against Tampa and NY, and went 87-37 against everyone else. The 31-7 record against Baltimore and Toronto certainly helped...

Deity
    I do wonder how good Tampa really is. They were 54-53 on July 31 before going on a 36-19 stretch to end the season. Are they going to be the April-July team or the one from the last two months? September records can be deceiving because of roster expansion and how it inundates the league with players who may not be major league caliber at the time...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I do wonder how good Tampa really is. They were 54-53 on July 31 before going on a 36-19 stretch to end the season. Are they going to be the April-July team or the one from the last two months? September records can be deceiving because of roster expansion and how it inundates the league with players who may not be major league caliber at the time...
    I think the TropDome is their secret weapon. I think other teams get depressed just being in it. They swept us in a 3 game series there Aug 24-26, outscoring us 24-5. By far the worst our team looked all year.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

They’re intriguing because they’ve got some incredible pitching in Snell plus some really good pen arms and a manager who knows how to use them. The trades of Colome and Archer actually made them better immediately. What the Pirates gave up is going to suck for us right away. Glasnow is a better pitcher than Archer and he’s already seen a velocity bump. Meadows looks like a good prospect too. They’ll also see their top prospect return after TJS as well as DeLeon from TJS. Remember, they lost 3/5 of their rotation to injury before the season started. They then got Eovaldi back and dealt him and then moved Archer once he got healthy. They added some pitching this year with Morton and added a lot to their offense with Garcia, Zunino, Diaz and a full year of Tommy Pham.