Register now to remove this ad

Page 52 of 509 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2019: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    I agree with you in isolation, but if you look at the position around the AL this year, there was not much at 1B. Moreland/whomever was about as productive as most of them. I think it is fair to say that while Moreland is not a great all around 1B, the Red Sox used him to staff the position very effectively at a cost-effective clip.
    1B certainly wasn't what it used to be.

You'd think in the era of the HR, 1B would be loaded with big mashers all over the place, but this year was a down year at that position.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    1B certainly wasn't what it used to be.

You'd think in the era of the HR, 1B would be loaded with big mashers all over the place, but this year was a down year at that position.
    it definitely looks like 1B defense has been valued more than ever ... there seem to be fewer "glorified DHs" (this is true about LFs as well)

it definitely looks like 1B defense has been valued more than ever ... there seem to be fewer "glorified DHs" (this is true about LFs as well)
    I did some research one time, on all the WS ring winners and how so many had very good to great defensive 1Bmen. I think the position is under-rated defensively by many, and maybe myself included.

I will say, I thought Pearce looked pretty dandy on defense for us, too.

I think the idea of expecting certain levels of offense from the different positions has pretty much gone by the boards , except maybe for catcher. It still holds true that for a kid who is not a good hitter, catching is his best chance to make it. Not a lot of kids are anxious to get behind the plate.

Legend
    I did some research one time, on all the WS ring winners and how so many had very good to great defensive 1Bmen. I think the position is under-rated defensively by many, and maybe myself included.

i have no real issue with a double fisted 1B situation ... the only real improvement on the market is Goldschmidt and we don't have the stuff to do that

Deity

Yuli Gurriel might not be a glorified DH, but he also isn’t a good defensive first baseman...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Yuli Gurriel might not be a glorified DH, but he also isn’t a good defensive first baseman...
    Yes, I did my study a few years ago, and I think I went back into the 80's or 70's. I was amazed at how many were known for being top defenders, however, most hit well, too.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I think the idea of expecting certain levels of offense from the different positions has pretty much gone by the boards , except maybe for catcher. It still holds true that for a kid who is not a good hitter, catching is his best chance to make it. Not a lot of kids are anxious to get behind the plate.
    I think the old rules still matter quite a bit. Offense on the corners, defense up the middle. Defense on the corners is awesome, but priorities are clear.

I think the old rules still matter quite a bit. Offense on the corners, defense up the middle. Defense on the corners is awesome, but priorities are clear.
    I think you see more middle infielders and center fielders who provide offense than you used to. Teams have come to expect offense from everywhere except maybe catcher. I just don't think the old " corners " and " up the middle " rule applies as much as before.

Deity
    I think you see more middle infielders and center fielders who provide offense than you used to. Teams have come to expect offense from everywhere except maybe catcher. I just don't think the old " corners " and " up the middle " rule applies as much as before.

Lately it’s offense at the corners and athletes up the middle. A look around the league at the shortstops aged 26 and under shows a lot of terrific all-around players....

Legend
    it still does - i mean you can see it in the "position adjustment". They aren't as stark now - but it matters.

I disagree. There was no luxury. We needed JD almost as much as he needed us. Moreland made no difference. There were 4-5 other good and cheap 1Bman on the market.
    Moreland might not have made much of a difference, but no one knew that was going to happen during the offseason. We had a supposedly healthy Hanley/Moreland tandem at 1B with Hanley being able to fill the DH role when not playing first.

Dombrowski did not have to rush to sign JD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Excluding Hanley, obviously.
    Hanley is reportedly working out very hard to be able to come back next season.

I would take him back on a moderate, one year deal to platoon with Moreland.

Buchholz too.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    who knows with these guys. i think it would surprise alot of TS posters to find out that Hanley is a class guy. a huge heart that gives alot back to community. but he has those dreds so....

as for 1b 2019....i dont think we sign anyone. we have Mitchie pooh for 1 more season. JDM will platoon with him next year.
    100% in on Hanley.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Hanley is reportedly working out very hard to be able to come back next season.

I would take him back on a moderate, one year deal to platoon with Moreland.

Buchholz too.
    As you know I'm with you on Buch.