Register now to remove this ad

Page 421 of 441 FirstFirst ... 321371411419420421422423431 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,315 of 6605

Thread: A Realistic View at 2019: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Roberto Alomar has over twice as many plate appearances batting second than he does leading off. He even has more plate appearances batting third than he does leading off.
    https://www.fangraphs.com/statsplits...on=2B&season=0

Not according to Fangraphs.
    Yuck!

Trout has more plate appearances batting second than anywhere else. And over three times as many batting second as he does leading off.
    555 games hitting 2nd, 547 games hitting elsewhere. Trout has only spent about half his career hitting there. Where's the lie?
    Yuck!

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Trout has only spent about half his career hitting there.

Alomar had more games hitting leadoff than 2nd.
    Rod Carew hit second in roughly half of his MLB games:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ear=Career&t=b

Ozzie Smith hit second in more than half of his MLB games:

Robin Yount hit second more often than any other slot in the batting order:

You might want to reset your parameters there.

The splits on that page only appear to cover about 1200 at bats and Alomar had over 3000 hits

I'm sending up the VA signal right now!
    Please do.

She needs to come back!

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Lost once ? No matter what you think of the geeks , the manager should be calling the shots . I have doubts that that is the case here right now .
    Cora is calling the in game shots, I can almost guarantee that.

And he is a big fan of analytics. That's why he is the man.

I can think of great leadoff hitters, but it's hard to remember great #2 hitters.
    Well that's because managers have traditionally been putting the wrong guys in the #2 hole. The trend is changing. You will soon be able to recall great #2 hitters, just as you can recall great clean up hitters.

But is there a certain “prestige” with batting leadoff that would give a player a fit if he suddenly found himself batting second?
    I think there is an added pressure or expectation to batting leadoff that would give some players a fit if they found themselves batting first.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I think there is an added pressure or expectation to batting leadoff that would give some players a fit if they found themselves batting first.
    That happened with two Red Sox players one season in the Francona years...numbers-wise, at least.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Cora is calling the in game shots, I can almost guarantee that.

And he is a big fan of analytics. That's why he is the man.
    Exactly. He's seeking new analytics. Nobody is steering him to them.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    So conjure me this one - I have had to listen for 2 years now why the number 3 spot in the lineup was arguably one of the worst places to put one of if not your best hitter. Hmmm - let's see - How long has it been now that Martinez has anchored that spot this year? Do the all things analytics folk think that JD likely told Cora that that is where he wanted to hit. Come on - For the record, I love seeing him in that spot. Maybe Cora represents more of a good blend of someone who isn't afraid to use all things analytical but at the same has some common sense.
    Ok then - no comment to me means that the yap I have listened to is just that - bullshit. I'm someone who truly believes that you should use anything available to help your team improve but a healthy dose of common sense also needs to be applied. A somewhat traditional way of looking at a lineup obviously still works.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Exactly. He's seeking new analytics. Nobody is steering him to them.
    So once again I must ask - How in the hell could any huge fan of analytics think for one second that Martinez should be hitting third?

So once again I must ask - How in the hell could any huge fan of analytics think for one second that Martinez should be hitting third?
    He shouldn't. He must think Moreland is better.
    Sox 4 Ever

Ok then - no comment to me means that the yap I have listened to is just that - bullshit. I'm someone who truly believes that you should use anything available to help your team improve but a healthy dose of common sense also needs to be applied. A somewhat traditional way of looking at a lineup obviously still works.
    Our offense is scoring as much or more than anybody else since the bad start, so I'm not sure why we should change the line-up.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Our offense is scoring as much or more than anybody else since the bad start, so I'm not sure why we should change the line-up.
    If you read the in game thread its the flavor of the night. Last night Beni wasn't ever going to pan up being too fat. Betts was going through the motions. Tonight they were on base 6 times between them and it was Bogey and Devers not getting it done until the 10th. It's not wise to make judgments based on a single game or even several. It was 40 degs last night and perhaps some players reacted negatively. Just one possibility of many. Our lineup is solid with one or two exceptions.

Our pitching has shown up fairly well considering where we started from. Eovaldi is going to be back in June and Price sooner. Chavis is hitting well enough to be our 2nd baseman and there is no need to rush Pedey back. I'm looking forward to playing the Astros.