Register now to remove this ad

Page 222 of 509 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222223224232272322 ... LastLast
Results 3,316 to 3,330 of 7627

Thread: A Realistic View at 2019: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    While not a popular opinion, I think Leon is the one catcher they should keep.

While I’m probably wrong here, I think it should be Swihart vs Vazquez or the starting job. If Swihart wins, trade Vazquez. If Vazquez wins, try to trade Swihart or simply DFA him late enough in Spring Training that most teams will largely have their rosters set and won’t claim him...
    The differential between Leon and Vaz or Swihart with Sale and Price is enormous.

I'm with you. Leon is the last catcher I trade or DFA.

I think Vaz has more stamina, and he does well with Porcello, so I'd choose him over Swihart, but trading Vaz might free up enough money to get a better RP'er.

I knida think keeping all 3 makes sense, unless Pedey looks super healthy.

The Diabled List??!? That’s so 2018.

Got to get with the times.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn....3fplatform=amp
    The haven't made this official, have they?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The haven't made this official, have they?
    I believe so.

And the biggest benefit is we get to call the phantom injured list by the friendly moniker of “Phil”...

I believe so.

And the biggest benefit is we get to call the phantom injured list by the friendly moniker of “Phil”...
    Is it still 10 days?

All-Star
    Our season begins March 28th with a 4 game road trip to Seattle (no off days until after game 11).

With no injuries, I'm assuming we start with Sale, Price, Porcello & Eovaldi

4 at Oakland: ERod, (6 man rotation to start the year?), Wright or Johnson, Sale & Price

3 at Arizona: Porcello, Eovaldi & ERod

Day off/ travel to BOS

4/9 TOR
    Day off
    4/11 TOR
    4 vs BAL

then, at the Yanks for 2
    I love that start. Better for the players to remain in the warmer climbs and get a big road trip out of the way at the least taxing time of the season. Perfect.

While not a popular opinion, I think Leon is the one catcher they should keep.

While I’m probably wrong here, I think it should be Swihart vs Vazquez or the starting job. If Swihart wins, trade Vazquez. If Vazquez wins, try to trade Swihart or simply DFA him late enough in Spring Training that most teams will largely have their rosters set and won’t claim him...
    I think someone would claim him. There are so many borderline back-up catchers out there, I think Swihart's upside and ability to play other positions might be enough for someone to claim him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    I love that start. Better for the players to remain in the warmer climbs and get a big road trip out of the way at the least taxing time of the season. Perfect.
    I do, too.

11 games in a row kind a sucks, but if we start the year with Johnson as the 6th starter, we'd only use him once in the first 3 weeks of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyWilliams View Post
    And without the bullet Lincoln had a great night at the theatre..........

you can keep posting articles that say how many games the yankees will finish in front of the Red Sox in 2019...in the meantime i guess we will just have to take solace that we will raise a banner at this years home opener......
    sigh.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    And without the bullet Lincoln had a great night at the theatre..........

you can keep posting articles that say how many games the yankees will finish in front of the Red Sox in 2019...in the meantime i guess we will just have to take solace that we will raise a banner at this years home opener......
    sigh.
    The article does say....

Combine those two factors with what might be baseball's best defensive outfield, and FanGraphs believes the Red Sox will have the game's best run differential by a good margin.

So, not everything is bad.

Very true, and some players take longer to get over an issue that held them back, so their curve looks out of whack. Others seem to really respond to the experience aspect of the game. Dewey Evans comes to mind. Others, who maybe relied more on their physicality seem to drop quickly. Jim Rice comes to mind, although his eye sight troubles may have been the real reason.

I'm sure GMs are wise to all this, or are getting there quickly.

Every team now employs analysts who take all of this into account and advise the owners and the GMs on the projected aging curve of any player the team is interested in signing. Hopefully, the GMs are listening.

The article does say....

Combine those two factors with what might be baseball's best defensive outfield, and FanGraphs believes the Red Sox will have the game's best run differential by a good margin.

So, not everything is bad.
    Though they should be taken with a grain of salt, I love to look at the computerized projections every year.

For me, it's a good gauge of the job the GM has done.

Legend
    I think someone would claim him. There are so many borderline back-up catchers out there, I think Swihart's upside and ability to play other positions might be enough for someone to claim him.
    Steamer600, which assumes 450 plate appearances for each catcher, ranks Blake Swihart 203rd in its 2019 WAR projections for catchers:

https://www.fangraphs.com/projection...=0&sort=27%2cd

Steamer does not capture pitch-framing and game-calling skills but those measures might not help Swihart.

The Diabled List??!? That’s so 2018.

Got to get with the times.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn....3fplatform=amp
    Eccch. Myself, I like the NFL's "PUP List".
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

All-Star
    Everyone will still call it the DL out of habit for at least a year anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Steamer600, which assumes 450 plate appearances for each catcher, ranks Blake Swihart 203rd in its 2019 WAR projections for catchers:

https://www.fangraphs.com/projection...=0&sort=27%2cd

Steamer does not capture pitch-framing and game-calling skills but those measures might not help Swihart.
    We'll see.