Register now to remove this ad

Page 105 of 509 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 7627

Thread: A Realistic View at 2019: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Right after Kimmi.
    ...and Kimmi says put your best hitter second.

Right after Kimmi.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    But Kimmi also says a) it doesn't make that much difference and b) putting the hitters where they are most comfortable may be even more important. And I'm sure she would agree Cora is the best judge of that.

Checkmate, fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    But Kimmi also says a) it doesn't make that much difference and b) putting the hitters where they are most comfortable may be even more important. And I'm sure she would agree Cora is the best judge of that.

Checkmate, fellas.
    Comfy Shumfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

Checkmate, fellas.
    I've never seen Kimmi and Cora together.....

Deity
    I've never seen Kimmi and Cora together.....

That’s because they’re not a couple...

Maybe Kimmi and Cora are one and the same.

I am actually good with Mookie hitting leadoff.

I would not be upset if he's moved to the 2nd spot.

I would be upset if he's moved to the 3rd spot.

Not that it makes that big of a difference. It's the principle.

Comfy Shumfy.
    Cora Shmora?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Maybe Kimmi and Cora are one and the same.
    Your IQ is higher than most.

Deity
    Your IQ is higher than most.
    I would love to see Betts hitting third. Just because! but alas I'm pretty comfortable with Cora's decisions. There are numerous people who seem to think that your best hitter should hit in a specific spot in the lineup. The question that I have not seen answered definitively is what constitutes your best hitter?

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I would love to see Betts hitting third. Just because! but alas I'm pretty comfortable with Cora's decisions. There are numerous people who seem to think that your best hitter should hit in a specific spot in the lineup. The question that I have not seen answered definitively is what constitutes your best hitter?
    Google image of best hitter. The foto is Betts.

All-Star
    It seems to me that we have no ideal lead-off hitter and no ideal 5th hitter. We have twos and threes, one fourth, and lots of 6-9 types. This missing ideal 1 and 5 has been an almost ongoing problem for a couple decades it seems--or longer. But, of course, since other teams have worse problems, it matters not.

Last season we hit .268 (unimpressive for a sox team) but the MLB average hitter hit .248 and the Yanks hit .249. so, this problem is more in theory than anything. Also, I think that my idea of a lead-off hitter is now outdated unfortunately in an age when almost all hitters refuse to moderate their swing and approach to fit the need. (I guess some would argue for Pedroia, but he's more like a 2 or 7 hitter to me)

Cora has a good point. He told Mookie that leading off guaranteed him 162AB’s with nobody on base. With Beni in the leadoff role, that drops down to 102 based on Beni’s OBP.

Now I’m really extrapolating here, but if you use the % of times Betts gets an EBH and multiply that by the AB’s where Beni would be on base, you see Betts driving in 10 more runs based on first inning placement alone

Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    It seems to me that we have no ideal lead-off hitter and no ideal 5th hitter. We have twos and threes, one fourth, and lots of 6-9 types. This missing ideal 1 and 5 has been an almost ongoing problem for a couple decades it seems--or longer. But, of course, since other teams have worse problems, it matters not.

Last season we hit .268 (unimpressive for a sox team) but the MLB average hitter hit .248 and the Yanks hit .249. so, this problem is more in theory than anything. Also, I think that my idea of a lead-off hitter is now outdated unfortunately in an age when almost all hitters refuse to moderate their swing and approach to fit the need. (I guess some would argue for Pedroia, but he's more like a 2 or 7 hitter to me)
    Berrs is ideal at any slot.

Beni and Bogey are close.

JD is ideal for any slot but #1.

I'm happy with Devers, Pearce and Moreland sharing the 5 slot.

I think Devers busts out this year- in a big way.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Cora has a good point. He told Mookie that leading off guaranteed him 162AB’s with nobody on base. With Beni in the leadoff role, that drops down to 102 based on Beni’s OBP.

Now I’m really extrapolating here, but if you use the % of times Betts gets an EBH and multiply that by the AB’s where Beni would be on base, you see Betts driving in 10 more runs based on first inning placement alone
    True, but then subtract the RBI's Beni loses, and as Kimmi points out, the differences are minimal.

I like Betts 2nd. It's where studies show the best hitter should bat.

Beni has improved his base running, so I'm okay with him up 1st. I'd probably have Bogey lead off vs LHPs, but I'm fine with keeping it simple.