Register now to remove this ad

Page 170 of 509 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180220270 ... LastLast
Results 2,536 to 2,550 of 7627

Thread: A Realistic View at 2019: Part I

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Having Kelly last year was VERY important for you. Consider this, when the whole pen is rolling, life is gravy. But by the post season, someone fades. For you guys it was Kimbrel. Having Barnes, Kelly and Brasier to pick up the slack was huge. Now Kelly and Kimbrel are gone. What happens when Barnes hits a rough patch. What happens if Brasier gets hurt? You have no contingencies

There are also 47 unsigned free agent relievers. Not to mention 21 unsigned starting pitchers, not all of whom are going to find jobs in starting rotations...

Having Kelly last year was VERY important for you. Consider this, when the whole pen is rolling, life is gravy. But by the post season, someone fades. For you guys it was Kimbrel. Having Barnes, Kelly and Brasier to pick up the slack was huge. Now Kelly and Kimbrel are gone. What happens when Barnes hits a rough patch. What happens if Brasier gets hurt? You have no contingencies
    False. We have at least 15 guys to choose from- several with past records of decency or dominance.

True, they are no Zach Britton or Ottavino, but it's not absurd to think 2 or 3 will do well.

Our pen was supposed to be our weakest area last year, too.

hahahaha. you think DD has "no contingencies"????!!!!!
    if it is one thing we have learned...the dude has in season answers for EVERY contingency.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    False. We have at least 15 guys to choose from- several with past records of decency or dominance.

True, they are no Zach Britton or Ottavino, but it's not absurd to think 2 or 3 will do well.

Our pen was supposed to be our weakest area last year, too.
    In 2017 ottavino was no prize. In 2018 he was lights out.

Who is the real ottavino?

I think some between Feltman, lakins, Hernandez or houck ( our future closer) pop next year, which will make our bullpen will be fine and younger.

Well, Ottavino was a very good reliever from 13-15. He blows out his elbow in 15, returns in 16 and was pretty good. 2017 saw a rise in BABIP above where he had been as a reliever by a lot and an uncharacteristic jump in walks and homers. Last year, the BABIP went down to his reliever standard, the walks came down (albeit not to where he usually sat in the 3.5 range) but the K’s rose and HRs fell off entirely. He’s a good reliever who’s experience Tommy John and one bad season over the last 4 years. He’s also added a cutter which adds to his effectiveness, a la Eovaldi

Deity
    Well, Ottavino was a very good reliever from 13-15. He blows out his elbow in 15, returns in 16 and was pretty good. 2017 saw a rise in BABIP above where he had been as a reliever by a lot and an uncharacteristic jump in walks and homers. Last year, the BABIP went down to his reliever standard, the walks came down (albeit not to where he usually sat in the 3.5 range) but the K’s rose and HRs fell off entirely. He’s a good reliever who’s experience Tommy John and one bad season over the last 4 years. He’s also added a cutter which adds to his effectiveness, a la Eovaldi
    You aren't just a little hypocritical either are you? How could a person who has undergone Tommy John ever amount to anything? Remember - Eovaldi !

Eovaldi has had it done twice. That’s a rare club. Also, Eovaldi has been unable to reach 30+ starts outside of a single season. He’s frequently injured and has now had a twice reconstructed elbow.

Deity
    Eovaldi has had it done twice. That’s a rare club. Also, Eovaldi has been unable to reach 30+ starts outside of a single season. He’s frequently injured and has now had a twice reconstructed elbow.
    Yup - ok - whatever you say.

Very mature and useful response.

Deity
    Very mature and useful response.

oh baby - what is the word that your friends here to like to use with me when they are challenged. Very snarky there doc-
    Last edited by cp176; 01-19-2019 at 08:34 AM.

Legend
    Right now - being pragmatic - the Yankees have closed the gap on paper with Boston. Paxton is a significant boost to the team's biggest weakness, and Ottavino helps the bullpen. The Red Sox have not enhanced the 2018 roster, and is probably losing Kelly and Kimbrel. (how much that hurts is hard to tell) We're lucky that Hal is content to pocket the Bombers' revenue instead of actually attacking this tremendous free agent class with more vigor. But that dig applies to all 30 teams to some degree or another.

Boston is counting on more internal improvement - that the October Devers shows a guy who has turned a corner for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Right now - being pragmatic - the Yankees have closed the gap on paper with Boston. Paxton is a significant boost to the team's biggest weakness, and Ottavino helps the bullpen. The Red Sox have not enhanced the 2018 roster
    I think having Eovaldi and Pearce for a full season should qualify as an enhancement.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I think having Eovaldi and Pearce for a full season should qualify as an enhancement.
    Unless Nathan Eovaldi is last year's Drew Pomeranz and Steve Pearce is last year's Eduardo Nunez.

Eovaldi and Pearce may have overperformed in 2018 ... or not.
    Last edited by harmony; 01-19-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I think that is possible, but I like the Yankees moves a little better. Now they have seemed too cheap to go after Machado, and I find that fortunate and a little astounding.

We beat New York by eight games. Now , they certainly seem to have improved , even without Machado. Have they improved enough to make up the difference ? That is the burning question. To beat a dead horse one more time , I think we are playing a dangerous game by virtually ignoring the bullpen.