Register now to remove this ad

Page 34 of 509 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2019: Part I

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Well, I think his overall point is that no player is worth signing to a ludicrous contract.

Which is spot on.
    His view of what a ludicrous contract was weird. Plus, he got his economic theory way wrong.

The Sox may have won without Kimbrel. But that’s impossible to say. Maybe another closer blows 10 saves instead of 5. Maybe another closer has a Price-Yankees complex and blows 5 games to NY. That’s enough to make the difference right there. Point is, you had a lights out closer sans the first two playoff rounds due to pitch tipping. You don’t know what his replacement may have done in the same workload. I have a feeling you’re about to find out

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The Sox may have won without Kimbrel. But that’s impossible to say. Maybe another closer blows 10 saves instead of 5. Maybe another closer has a Price-Yankees complex and blows 5 games to NY. That’s enough to make the difference right there. Point is, you had a lights out closer sans the first two playoff rounds due to pitch tipping. You don’t know what his replacement may have done in the same workload. I have a feeling you’re about to find out
    He was very good. His fundamentals were not great with an absurdly low BABIP and shaky command. There are very few special closers - Mariano Riveras aren't around every day and 2013 Koji Uehara sure as hell isn't. Closers - at least the middle 95% of them - aren't magic.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    He was very good. His fundamentals were not great with an absurdly low BABIP and shaky command. There are very few special closers - Mariano Riveras aren't around every day and 2013 Koji Uehara sure as hell isn't. Closers - at least the middle 95% of them - aren't magic.
    No, they aren't. But there are also plenty of guys who have the talent who shrink in the moment or flashes in the pan that fall by the wayside. Think about it. If Kimbrel blew out his elbow in ST, who closes? Barnes probably? And has he proven he can lock down the 9th? Would he have been any good? It helps to have an experienced hammer at the end of the pen. There are plenty of guys with a middle relief track record and stuff galore who just shrink as a closer. A certain 6'8" current Yankee comes to mind
    Hal sucks

I haven't posted for a while as I am in the hospital. I thought I was going to die. I had extreme stomach pains that turned out to be a large hernia. They also discovered I had diverticulitis (no jokes please). I'm better now with the help of some morphine and antibiotics. Hopefully, I will be released tomorrow and the consult with the hernia surgeon will say I do not need surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I haven't posted for a while as I am in the hospital. I thought I was going to die. I had extreme stomach pains that turned out to be a large hernia. They also discovered I had diverticulitis (no jokes please). I'm better now with the help of some morphine and antibiotics. Hopefully, I will be released tomorrow and the consult with the hernia surgeon will say I do not need surgery.

Good vibes to you moon. Everything is going to be alright, you’ll see.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Legend
    Best wishes Moon. You'll be fine. We have another World Series, to enjoy. And hopefully more.

Feel better

Get well and get back to us as a more healthy Moon. We'll be thinking of you.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Legend

Sorry to hear you have been ill. If you have a large hernia, you will probably need surgery. Best of luck with that.

Deity

I had double hernia surgery a few years ago. It’s a very routine and simple operation followed by a relaxing recovery period...

My prayers & thoughts are with you that’s quite a scare.

All the best Moon. you're one of the good guys around here.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

godspeed sir.
    glad to hear you are on the road to recovery.
    other names i have posted under: none

Thanks for all the kind words.

I'm still waiting for the surgeon consult.

Maybe, I literally busted a gut screaming when the Sox won it all!