Register now to remove this ad

Page 50 of 509 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2019: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    If Chavis isn’t traded, I expect him to make his MLB debut next season.

Think Dombrowski cuts Swihart loose to make room for Pedroia? Didn’t he surprise the world and keep him in that exact same scenario last year?
    True, but I think that was more about HRam and his contract and the rest was a smoke screen- perhaps to prevent a law suit.

I doubt they trade Swihart to keep Pedey, because Pedey is too sketchy, but trading Swihart to give Chavis a look could happen. We also have Lin, Quiroz, Ockimey and maybe Marco Hernandez available as the 25th man.

Deity
    Swihart could be traded and might be. Not for much. If the Sox do need to trade a non- starting player, Chavis is the most likely candidate to get anything back.

The HanRam release was going to happen regardless. (Cora publicly said it had to do with playing time.) Keeping Swihart didn’t avoid a lawsuit anymore than if the Sox had released him to keep Lin.

Anything can happen in the next 5 months. But as of now, Swihart appears to have a roster spot. And possibly even a role...

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I hated the Moreland signing, then it looked good, then okay, then maybe not so good, then okay again.

I'd rather have Pearce over Moreland for 2019, if I had to choose just one, despite Pearce being on the wrong side of a platoon.

I don't think us having Moreland put any scare into JD and his contract negotiations.

I liked the Moreland signing from the beginning.

While it might not have put any scare into JD, IMO it did give Dombrowski the luxury of waiting JD out.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    i am 100% thinking that JDM will be RH platoon 1b next season. Pearce will not be resigned.
    Makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I liked the Moreland signing from the beginning.

While it might not have put any scare into JD, IMO it did give Dombrowski the luxury of waiting JD out.
    I disagree. There was no luxury. We needed JD almost as much as he needed us. Moreland made no difference. There were 4-5 other good and cheap 1Bman on the market.

Legend
    I disagree. There was no luxury. We needed JD almost as much as he needed us. Moreland made no difference. There were 4-5 other good and cheap 1Bman on the market.
    Moreland was fine - dollar for dollar we had one of the more productive 1B positions in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Moreland was fine - dollar for dollar we had one of the more productive 1B positions in the league.
    Excluding Hanley, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    He certainly did better than most of the other 1B options.

Contract / fWAR in 2018
    $144M/8 Hosmer -0.1
    $60M/3 Santana 1.9
    $16M/2 Alonso 0.7
    $13M/2 Moreland 0.6
    $8.3M/2 P Alvarez -0.2
    $6.5M Morrison -0.7
    $4M/1 M Adams 0.8
    $3.5M/1 Duda 0.0

3B?
    $6.5M/1 Moustakas 2.4

I'm sure glad we didn't go with Hosmer like a few here wanted.

I was pushing hard for Moose and Squirrel...I mean Duda, which wouldn't have been all that great, unless Moose switched to 1B.

Last edited by moonslav59; 11-14-2018 at 08:51 PM.

Deity
    He certainly did better than most of the other 1B options.

Contract / fWAR in 2018
    $144M/8 Hosmer -0.1
    $60M/3 Santana 1.9
    $16M/2 Alonso 0.7
    $13M/2 Moreland 0.6
    $8.3M/2 P Alvarez -0.2
    $6.5M Morrison -0.7
    $4M/1 M Adams 0.8
    $3.5M/1 Duda 0.0

3B?
    $6.5M/1 Moustakas 2.4

I'm sure glad we didn't go with Hosmer like a few here wanted.

I was pushing hard for Moose and Squirrel...I mean Duda, which wouldn't have been all that great, unless Moose switched to 1B.

Mountain Matt Adams is a free agent this year. Think he can be had for $4mill again?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Mountain Matt Adams is a free agent this year. Think he can be had for $4mill again?
    Nope.

Deity
    Moreland has been and is a perfect fit for the Red Sox. There may be any number of players who put up better numbers but was their character which includes a heavy dose of no ego and team first attitude on a par with his. Dombrowski and Cora get it. They understand that there is a lot more to consider than individual numbers when putting a winning team together. To me, Moreland represents a great example of something that is really important to have.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Moreland has been and is a perfect fit for the Red Sox. There may be any number of players who put up better numbers but was their character which includes a heavy dose of no ego and team first attitude on a par with his. Dombrowski and Cora get it. They understand that there is a lot more to consider than individual numbers when putting a winning team together. To me, Moreland represents a great example of something that is really important to have.
    Agreed. And he's an excellent pinch hitter-most notably in WS Game 4 of course.
    Last edited by Bellhorn04; 11-15-2018 at 07:24 AM.

There are good character guys who do better than Moreland, but has been a net plus at his salary. I've softened my stance on him a lot since last year. I guess it's hard for me to get past my idea that 1B should be a highly productive offensive position.

With a pretty balanced line-up and team, it's okay, but I'd still like to see more.

I'm hopeful our catching position can add 100+ points to their collective 2018 OPS of .533.

Our .658 OPS at 2B may be improved upon as well, but I'm not counting on Pedey to do it. (I'm not giving up hope, either.)

I'd say the 3B OPS of .711 should be the easiest to improve. I'm looking for Devers to bust out next year or 2020.

I'm pretty sure we'll see a dip at another position or two, but we may see an even better offense next year, even if we don't bring back Pearce.

Deity
    I’m fine with Moreland for now even if they don’t get a platoon partner for him. But I reserve the right to change my position on him if he has a .650 OPS in June...

Deity
    There are good character guys who do better than Moreland, but has been a net plus at his salary. I've softened my stance on him a lot since last year. I guess it's hard for me to get past my idea that 1B should be a highly productive offensive position.

With a pretty balanced line-up and team, it's okay, but I'd still like to see more.

I'm hopeful our catching position can add 100+ points to their collective 2018 OPS of .533.

Our .658 OPS at 2B may be improved upon as well, but I'm not counting on Pedey to do it. (I'm not giving up hope, either.)

I'd say the 3B OPS of .711 should be the easiest to improve. I'm looking for Devers to bust out next year or 2020.

I'm pretty sure we'll see a dip at another position or two, but we may see an even better offense next year, even if we don't bring back Pearce.
    I've watched Moreland now for 2 years. Who are these guys with the character and attitude of Moreland? I watch Red Sox baseball so I'm actually not trying to argue with you. Do you watch and follow these other guys well enough you think to make that statement?