Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26

Thread: 2019 Sox Salaries

  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Oh you know you and I will argue about lots of other stuff going forward. lol

    From the looks of things, John Henry liked this team a lot too. That is probably the most important thing.
    There's a lot to like here from everybody. Everyone seems to get along and IMO most of the credit for that goes to Alex Cora. Cora was able to convey to the players that he'd cover their asses no matter what they did and he conveyed to JH that while he (Cora) had his own opinions he also recognized that JH was the guy with the money and therefore the one who could make the hard decisions if push came to shove.

    It looked to me like everyone in the FO did exactly what a successful manager should do. They gave Cora all the tools to do a good job and then got out of his way and let him do it.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

  2. #17
    Yes, there is a zero chance we reset this year. The big question is about the $40M penalty line and how close we come to it or go over it- probably for just one year.

    I'm not even sure we reset after 2019. I'm thinking after 2020 is the likely time, but a lot depends on how we look next year.

    I wouldn't be surprised, if we end up signing just Eovaldi and Kelly or something similar. We keep some budget space for DD to work his in season magic, if and where it might be needed.

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    There's a lot to like here from everybody. Everyone seems to get along and IMO most of the credit for that goes to Alex Cora. Cora was able to convey to the players that he'd cover their asses no matter what they did and he conveyed to JH that while he (Cora) had his own opinions he also recognized that JH was the guy with the money and therefore the one who could make the hard decisions if push came to shove.

    It looked to me like everyone in the FO did exactly what a successful manager should do. They gave Cora all the tools to do a good job and then got out of his way and let him do it.
    I think that you are right for sure but i also think that Cora has had a big say as to who the players are that are coming to Boston. I absolutely think that he knows what a winner looks like. I think he had a pretty good idea that once he got everything squared away, which included allowing Hanley to walk, that he had a team of battlers that could and would get along. I think that Cora is tougher than people tend to think he is. He doesn't strike me as the "loosey goosey lets just go out there and have some fun kind of players manager" that some people could think he is. All of these guys are professionals. They are all pretty good at what they do. Finding the right guys is the hard job. It is ok to overpay for players sometimes but you better make sure what they are made of mentally before you sign them. looks like the no prima donna rule applies here and to me that says winner now and going forward.

  4. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    MLBTR published their arbitration estimates. Price opted in. The following are the lux tax hits for all players on the sox as of right now or as projected by MLBTR


    Arb players:
    Mookie Betts (4.070) $18.7MM
    Xander Bogaerts (5.042) $11.9MM
    Jackie Bradley Jr. (4.150) $7.9MM
    Eduardo Rodriguez (3.130) $4.8MM
    Brock Holt (5.052) $3.4MM
    Tyler Thornburg (5.057) $2.3MM
    Sandy Leon (4.149) $2.3MM
    Matt Barnes (3.110) $1.5MM
    Brandon Workman (4.051) $1.4MM
    Steven Wright (4.087) $1.4MM
    Heath Hembree (3.106) $1.2MM
    Carson Smith (4.028) $1.1MM
    Blake Swihart (2.164) $1.1MM

    Contracts:
    Sandoval $18 mil
    Price $31 mil
    Pedroia $13.75 mil
    Martinez $22 mil
    Sale $15 mil
    Nunez $5 mil
    Porcello $20.62 mil
    Moreland $7 mil
    Vazquez $4.45 mil

    Consider there will be 18 pre-arb players on the list as well to round out the 40 man. That comes out to $10.8 mil. Add in medicals at $15 mil

    Right now, with the FA's rolling out and if there are no improvements, the sox cap number for 2019, assuming no extensions, signings and that the arb predictions are correct, stands at $219.32 mil. The cap for 2019 is $206 mil. The final threshold is $40 mil over that at $246 mil. If the sox spend to the threshold again in 2019, they will have $26.8 mil to spend this offseason
    Sox save $2 mil on Thornburg and Smith. Consider $6 mil more saved on the pre-arb end as 15 of those players will be in the minors on minor league deals. Add in Eovaldi and Pierce at $22.9 mil for 2019 and you're up to $234 mil. Top penalty mark is $246 mil. How much do you want to save for the deadline?
    The rebuild is complete.

  5. #20
    John Henry is obviously not lying awake at night worrying about the top tax threshold. I expect we'll go over it a little again this year.

  6. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    John Henry is obviously not lying awake at night worrying about the top tax threshold. I expect we'll go over it a little again this year.
    All those players will not be with the team come April as well. Swihart is at risk, simply because there are only 4 Ben h spots and all appear taken. Thornburg is also not guaranteed anything just yet either, and his particular injury (thoracic outlet) apparently isn’t so easy to recover from.

    Of course that only frees up at most $2.8mill. (Thornburg agreed to a $1.75mill deal, not the antipated $2.3mill in the post).

    With 7 starting pitchers, something has to give there too...

  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    All those players will not be with the team come April as well. Swihart is at risk, simply because there are only 4 Ben h spots and all appear taken. Thornburg is also not guaranteed anything just yet either, and his particular injury (thoracic outlet) apparently isn’t so easy to recover from.

    Of course that only frees up at most $2.8mill. (Thornburg agreed to a $1.75mill deal, not the antipated $2.3mill in the post).

    With 7 starting pitchers, something has to give there too...
    Going over $40M in 2019 won't be as bad as in 2020 because the penalty over the initial cutoff is 30% in 2019 versus 50% for 2020.

    Another way to look at is we save $8M in 2019 over 2020 because of second time offender status in 2019 versus third time offender status in 2020.

  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Going over $40M in 2019 won't be as bad as in 2020 because the penalty over the initial cutoff is 30% in 2019 versus 50% for 2020.

    Another way to look at is we save $8M in 2019 over 2020 because of second time offender status in 2019 versus third time offender status in 2020.
    LOL - that's some creative spin.

  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Going over $40M in 2019 won't be as bad as in 2020 because the penalty over the initial cutoff is 30% in 2019 versus 50% for 2020.

    Another way to look at is we save $8M in 2019 over 2020 because of second time offender status in 2019 versus third time offender status in 2020.
    I'm still not sure we went over the $40M mark this year. It seems strange to go over by less than a million.

  10. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    LOL - that's some creative spin.
    It's the same logic as when my wife says I saved YOU 50% on these sales items. I saved over $500. I should go spend more money so I can save you some more, HONEY. Sure.

  11. #26
    El mar no cesa iortiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    12,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    John Henry is obviously not lying awake at night worrying about the top tax threshold. I expect we'll go over it a little again this year.
    There's still a lot of talent there to just waste it. You don't know when you are going to be in this position again.

    Said that they will spend and will go with all cylinders and engines at full capacity to try to win it all again.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •