Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yankees re-sign Gardner

By the way, is not like this contract will cripple the payroll for years (like Ellsbury)

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    By the way, is not like this contract will cripple the payroll for years (like Ellsbury)
    For sure, it's short money. I just don't see the need for it.

I think the Yanks at least got good value in the 4 years we had with Gardner. As a true 4th OFer, I love this move. But this isn't a true 4th OFer move. We have a guy who could serve as a 4th OFer in Frazier. Our DH is an average OFer. It isn't like this offers us anything of substance when Hicks hits FA. It is just a puzzling move in a vacuum. All will be revealed, but if the plan is for Gardner to start day 1 in LF, then I will not be happy
    Hal sucks

They will try Frazier in LF and maybe divide his time 50/50 with Gardner at the beginning of the season, if Frazier performs then it will be his job full time

I think that's a dicey game to play UNLESS we plan to allocate all of our off season assets to pitching. It also doesn't fix our right handed issues. Frazier is a heck of a talent who cannot seem to stay healthy. If he stays healthy, then we can actually make a decision on him. If he doesn't, then we are hitching our wagon to a 35 yr old OFer who declined sharply and ended up on the bench for the finish of 2018.
    Hal sucks

It also makes me wonder if we are in the market for an offensive catcher capable of supplanting Sanchez and we move Gary to backup C and DH. This would move Stanton to the OF on a semi-regular basis, especially against left handed pitchers. A guy like Wilson Ramos would make sense in that mode, or Realmuto on a grander scale. If we did that, we'd effectively have a built in 4th OFer with Frazier being the 5th OFer.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    It also makes me wonder if we are in the market for an offensive catcher capable of supplanting Sanchez and we move Gary to backup C and DH. This would move Stanton to the OF on a semi-regular basis, especially against left handed pitchers. A guy like Wilson Ramos would make sense in that mode, or Realmuto on a grander scale. If we did that, we'd effectively have a built in 4th OFer with Frazier being the 5th OFer.
    Too early to give up on Sanchez, Realmuto is awesome but I still think Sanchez can be an average defender behind the home and we all know what he can do with the bat

I’m not giving up on him. Just another option to keep his bat in the lineup while also improving offense and defense

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I’m not giving up on him. Just another option to keep his bat in the lineup while also improving offense and defense
    I get it, but if you get Realmuto, he will get the lion share of starts behind the plate.

Major Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    Too early to give up on Sanchez, Realmuto is awesome but I still think Sanchez can be an average defender behind the home and we all know what he can do with the bat
    No doubt Sanchez has had some real bright spots with the bat but his defense is a detriment and I don't believe his offensive drop off is physical, it's mental. Tough to fix mental. If he can be dealt with another piece to the Marlins for Realmuto I hope the deal gets done. Not a lot of drop off from Realmuto's proven offense and Sanchez' predicted output and Realmuto's defensive superiority more than makes up for any lower level offensive production than Sanchez.
    My friends and contacts list is empty - No Shit - I'm a Yankee fan on a Red Sox forum!!

I hate Brett Gardner. Why is his head so damn big. I hate his head.

Quote Originally Posted by SCM33 View Post
    I hate Brett Gardner. Why is his head so damn big. I hate his head.
    Bucket head.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."