Register now to remove this ad

Page 16 of 47 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: The future of baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    From what I heard in last night's telecast, the calls were not immediate. It took about 3 seconds for the ump to get the call from the automated zone and then to make the call.

Think about that for every pitch. Waiting 3 seconds to get a ball or strike call. How is that going to improve the game?
    I would not want a 3 second delay at the MLB level.
    Do you think they can improve the system to make the call almost instantaneously?
    I do.
    other names i have posted under: none

UGH The thought of robot umps really makes me sick.

We are dehumanizing the game a little more with these types of changes. And that has nothing to do with analytics.

#OldSchool
    Kimmi it is bizarre to me that you are on the forefront of all things analytic but are turning your back on analytics calling the strikezone and claiming “old school”. Embrace the technology that improves the game.
    #robotumpsnow

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Kimmi it is bizarre to me that you are on the forefront of all things analytic but are turning your back on analytics calling the strikezone and claiming “old school”. Embrace the technology that improves the game.
    #robotumpsnow
    If we ever have robot umps, I'll stop watching baseball forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

UGH The thought of robot umps really makes me sick.

We are dehumanizing the game a little more with these types of changes. And that has nothing to do with analytics.

#OldSchool
    Why would humans making blunder after blunder ever be good for the game?

No, it has nothing to do with analytics but everything to do with veracity.

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

From what I heard in last night's telecast, the calls were not immediate. It took about 3 seconds for the ump to get the call from the automated zone and then to make the call.

Think about that for every pitch. Waiting 3 seconds to get a ball or strike call. How is that going to improve the game?
    Simple, just improve the call relay system.

Plus, the new enforced pitch clock would begin ticking the second the ball hits the catcher's glove and not after a ball or strike is called, so the delay (if they can't fix it) would not slow the game down.

Baseball is a sport . A game . Human judgement and human error is a part of it . Robot umps is an attempt to get the ball and strike counts 100% correct . Okay , but that does not make the game more appealing. Part of the fun for fans is complaining about the umps . Trying to automate the sport , while admirable, does not make it more fun , exciting or interesting. As usual, Manfred and his flunkies are barking up the wrong tree.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Baseball is a sport . A game . Human judgement and human error is a part of it . Robot umps is an attempt to get the ball and strike counts 100% correct . Okay , but that does not make the game more appealing. Part of the fun for fans is complaining about the umps . Trying to automate the sport , while admirable, does not make it more fun , exciting or interesting. As usual, Manfred and his flunkies are barking up the wrong tree.
    Human errors by umps does not have to be part of the game, just because it has been for over a century.

To me, it's not about making the game more or less fun, it's about getting the calls right and allowing players to just play the game and not have to worry about who is calling the pitches that night or if they have to swing at a ball, because the ump has been calling it a strike all night or all his career.

It's not fun for me to watch us get hosed by bad strike calls, and it give me no pleasure to watch us get helped by bad calls either.

I guess some like complaining, but they can always complain about the robots, too, or find somethging else to bitch about, like WTF Cora or DD or....

I'm not a Manfred flunky. If it's about fun, then you should be all for the juiced ball, since that's what most fans think is fun-- not me.

Baseball is a sport . A game . Human judgement and human error is a part of it . Robot umps is an attempt to get the ball and strike counts 100% correct . Okay , but that does not make the game more appealing. Part of the fun for fans is complaining about the umps .
    Personally I've always hated bad ball and strike calls even when I was a little kid.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Personally I've always hated bad ball and strike calls even when I was a little kid.
    I don't like bad ball and strike calls either. I also don't like boneheaded base running, errors on easy plays , pitchers who can't throw strikes, hitters who chase pitches way out of the zone , guys who don't hustle , etc. , etc . , etc. Lots of things not to like . I do think MLB should hold umpires accountable for their performance. But part of the game is , " Kill the ump " , " Come on blue , you bum " , " Get some glasses , ump " , etc. Ball and strike calls are the least of things ailing baseball .

I think getting ball and strike calls correct via robot umps can be completely separate from the “fix the game so kids watch it” argument. I am not saying correct ball and strike calls make the game more appealing. I am saying that getting ball and strike calls correct make the game more FAIR. I could give a rats ass if that increases viewership

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Human errors by umps does not have to be part of the game, just because it has been for over a century.

To me, it's not about making the game more or less fun, it's about getting the calls right and allowing players to just play the game and not have to worry about who is calling the pitches that night or if they have to swing at a ball, because the ump has been calling it a strike all night or all his career.

It's not fun for me to watch us get hosed by bad strike calls, and it give me no pleasure to watch us get helped by bad calls either.

I guess some like complaining, but they can always complain about the robots, too, or find somethging else to bitch about, like WTF Cora or DD or....

I'm not a Manfred flunky. If it's about fun, then you should be all for the juiced ball, since that's what most fans think is fun-- not me.
    WTF is real

I think getting ball and strike calls correct via robot umps can be completely separate from the “fix the game so kids watch it” argument. I am not saying correct ball and strike calls make the game more appealing. I am saying that getting ball and strike calls correct make the game more FAIR. I could give a rats ass if that increases viewership
    I do understand what you are saying . I just think the future of baseball depends greatly on attracting young fans . That should be the first priority . And it can be done . Look at Yankee Stadium , Fenway Park , Wrigley Field , Citizen's Bank Park and a couple of others . Plenty of young people , male and female , having a great time . You have to have an appealing product . Robot umps doesn't necessarily help or hurt that .

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Analytics certainly don't do anything to humanize the game. It's all part of the same deal - the march of technology, the quest for more accurate information.
    IMO, analytics aren't taking away anything from the human element and emotion during the game. Analytics aren't going to stop the Earl Weaver type arguments on the field, like robot umps and instant replay do. Analytics are more about what happens off the field in terms of assessing, planning, and strategy.

I would not want a 3 second delay at the MLB level.
    Do you think they can improve the system to make the call almost instantaneously?
    I do.
    They probably could improve the system, and IMO, would have to improve it to that point before considering it at the MLB level.

Regardless, I am against the idea.

#robotumpsnow
    The strike zone and instant replay are not analytics. I agree that these things will likely result in better accuracy of calls, but IMO, they will not improve the game.

I don't like most changes to the core of the game of baseball, like eliminating the "look to first, throw to third" rule, not allowing the catcher to block the plate (though I understand why that was added), and the automatic intentional walk.