Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The future of baseball

It'll be very bad news if Harper and Machado do get around $400 million. What will that make Mookie worth - $500 million?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Is the great game of baseball in trouble?

Certainly the game is still extremely popular and the men who own major league franchises or otherwise have their fingers in the financial pie are still making tremendous piles of money, as are the players.

But there are some indicators that its popularity is on the decline-downturns in attendance and most recently the TV ratings for the game’s ultimate showcase, the World Series.

There have also been some rumblings and grumblings in various quarters, including right here on this forum, about the quality of the game itself as sporting competition and as entertainment.

Let’s enumerate what seem to be the most widespread and most recent complaints.

1) The games are too long, because of all the time between pitches, the mound visits, the pitching changes, and now the replay reviews.

2) The game has become dominated by stat geeks and computer analysts. They decide who the best players are, who the best players for the money are, and how to win more games.

3) All the fielding shifts are annoying and frustrating to watch.

4) Too much emphasis on the long ball. Too many hitters taking an all or nothing approach. Increase that launch angle so you can launch the ball over that damn shift and into the seats.

5) Thanks in large part to 4), there is not enough emphasis on the finer points of the game.

6) Bullpen games are now a thing, and the pitching ‘opener’ is a thing. The idea of a starter trying to throw a complete game now is a joke. You don’t really expect any of your pitchers to attempt to make it through the order three times, do you?

7) Two leagues with different rules, with opposing views on whether the pitcher trying to hit and run is a good idea. This creates a mess when the two leagues play against each other.

8) Umpires continue to call balls strikes and strikes balls at an unacceptable rate. Why not try robot umps?

So what should be done to improve the game? What CAN be done?

Will the game start to show the impact of declining popularity on the bottom line and will that motivate the powers to do something about it?
    this is a great thread Bell.
    here is the reply if Slasher9 is the commissioner:

1) game length/pace of play - this needs to be addressed.
    - replay review: needs to be changed to 60 second review. clock starts when umpire puts on the headset. if NY cannot confirm a call in that time - call on field stands.
    - pitching changes: 2 warmup tosses when brought into the game middle of an inning. must face 2 consecutive batters (unless new inning starts).
    - mound visits: i like that they have limited these. no further updates.
    - pitch clock - rule needs to be implemented/enforced. Once this is in place the batter will not be allowed to call timeout / step out of the box.
    - robot umps for balls & strikes. this will speed up the game TREMENDOUSLY. no more arguing. no more stepping out of the box and shaking your head for 2 minutes on a call you didnt like. this will be the single most impactful thing to speed up game time.
    - no more swapping out baseballs for a ball that is hit or a pitch in the dirt. throw the ball back into the pitcher and lets go.

2) stats rule the world now. i dont expect anything to change here. what is nice is that our latest parade was not based strictly on stats but a pretty healthy mix between stats and "gut feel".

3) infield shifts are banned. 2 infielders have to be on each side of second base.

4) if a batter strikes out the next hitter in the lineup only gets 2 strikes. if a player strikes out for the 3rd out of an inning it carries over to the next inning.

5) rule #4 just solved this.

6) I am OK with BP games. if that is how a team wants to do it...so be it.

7) DH is now the rule for all Major League teams. pitcher batting in NL is dead.

8) Robot umps for balls & strikes. game time just decreased by 40 minutes.
    other names i have posted under: none

other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    It'll be very bad news if Harper and Machado do get around $400 million. What will that make Mookie worth - $500 million?
    That is just absurd.

It has to stop somewhere.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Another change: no expanding the rosters in September.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    That is just absurd.

It's being reported that Harper turned down an "aggressive" longterm offer from the Nats. No idea how much except that it was south of the $400 million line.

Now, I have to be honest here. Usually, I side with owners when it comes to salary matters, and I hate Harper with every atom of my being, but I don't blame him for testing FA. If some team is idiotic enough to give him $400 million guaranteed, good for him.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Harper turned down 10 years at 300 Million from Nationals.
    Consider yourself lucky Rizzo, he ain't worth anywhere close to that.

And I cant believe any team would offer him 300M . Hes overrated

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    Another change: no expanding the rosters in September.

Yes. This is stupid.

If you want to see your young players, make room for them on your roster like everyone else does in other sports. No more 17 man bullpens and 6 pitching chances in an inning...

That is just absurd.

I bet Harper and specially Machado don't even know what a 400 M figure is or mean LOL!

I understand that the market is what it is but this is getting ridiculous.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Yes. This is stupid.

If you want to see your young players, make room for them on your roster like everyone else does in other sports. No more 17 man bullpens and 6 pitching chances in an inning...
    I really don't like teams having an unending supply of relievers on their expanded rosters and being able to change pitchers at will.

Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post
    I bet Harper and specially Machado don't even know what a 400 M figure is or mean LOL!

I understand that the market is what it is but this is getting ridiculous.
    I'd be happy with the MLB minimum salary. LOL

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Yes. This is stupid.

Three steps MLB can take for better pace of play

1) Enforce existing rules for how long a pitcher can hold a ball in between pitches.
    2) No more expanded rosters in September
    3) Keep the shift!!

Three steps MLB can take for better pace of play

1) Enforce existing rules for how long a pitcher can hold a ball in between pitches.
    YES!

2) No more expanded rosters in September.
    OK, but expand the roster to 26.

3) Keep the shift!!
    Yes, more outs!

Also,DH for all.

I'd be happy with the MLB minimum salary. LOL
    It’s plain crazy. An average top ten Ivy League graduate bearly make in his life 3-4 M.

That’s a season salary for a lot of bad mlb players.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post
    It’s plain crazy. An average top ten Ivy League graduate bearly make in his life 3-4 M.

That’s a season salary for a lot of bad mlb players.
    But 'bad' MLB players are still close to the top in the game.

And the game is entertainment that generates billions in revenue.

There's nothing wrong with the minimum salaries in MLB IMHO

Now the top salaries are a different story.