Register now to remove this ad

Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: The future of baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    So you must have been a fan of when Brasier told Gary Sanchez to "Get in the -------- Box!" during the ALDS in 2018
    I 100% loved that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Eck stole the Human Rain Delay nickname from Hargrove, the original owner of it.

Hargrove was the worst. After every pitch, he would step out, adjust his gloves, knock dirt from his cleats, adjust his helmet, step out and take 3 practice swings, step back in the box, adjust his glove, and adjust his helmet. And to make it worse, he was not exactly Mike Greenwell when it came to pitch selection. Hargrove was a very patient hitter who was frequently near the top of the league in walks. And to make it even worse than that, he frequently batted leadoff. So he did this 5 times a game.

Hargrove's reputation was so bad that in 1984 - and no idea why I remember this - the Twins were looking for a left-handed hitting 1B and acquired Pat Putnam from Seattle over Hargrove. One of their players quipped "Good. Now we can play 3 hour games instead of 4 hour ones."
    Good story.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I don't really remember Hargrove as a player. Same with Bump Wills, but great name!
    Bump was the son of Maury Wills, the former Dodger great who had the SB record before Lou Brock. Bump's real name was Elliott, which is why he went by Bump...

Watching 88 WS and Garagiola is lamenting the cut fastball, how it’s a pitch of the 80’s and just puts L’s on the score sheet.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Comment about Canseco saying that people talking about him potentially doing steroids was “unfair.” LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Comment about Canseco saying that people talking about him potentially doing steroids was “unfair.” LOL
    LOL He was such a snake. Just like ARod.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    LOL He was such a snake. Just like ARod.
    Towards the end of the game, they showed the Canseco press conference. It was hilarious. Garagiola was drooling over Canseco's physique all game long.

Deity
    Towards the end of the game, they showed the Canseco press conference. It was hilarious. Garagiola was drooling over Canseco's physique all game long.
    Funny Canseco steroid story.

Back in 2001, I sued to go to a lot of White Sox games, because tickets were cheap and remarkably easy to get. Sometimes, we wound up sitting in the RF seats back back when the decks were so steep it was literally like climbing a ladder to get from row to row. But hey, twelve dollars.

I went with my wife, who is legally blind (some vision has been restored since 2001). The only player she could recognize from the RF seats was Jose Canseco, because he was simply that much bigger than everyone else on the field.

I thought "THAT should be the steroid test. If my wife can recognize you from 350 feet away by the size of the blur, you are CLEARLY on steroids."

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Funny Canseco steroid story.

Back in 2001, I sued to go to a lot of White Sox games, because tickets were cheap and remarkably easy to get. Sometimes, we wound up sitting in the RF seats back back when the decks were so steep it was literally like climbing a ladder to get from row to row. But hey, twelve dollars.

I went with my wife, who is legally blind (some vision has been restored since 2001). The only player she could recognize from the RF seats was Jose Canseco, because he was simply that much bigger than everyone else on the field.

I thought "THAT should be the steroid test. If my wife can recognize you from 350 feet away by the size of the blur, you are CLEARLY on steroids."
    Haha. Good story.

Your wife's vision test sounds like as reliable a test as any.

IDK, I watched Frank Thomas hit batting practice from atop the Green Monster. People don't say he's on roids.

Deity
    IDK, I watched Frank Thomas hit batting practice from atop the Green Monster. People don't say he's on roids.
    He’s not. Also my wife didn’t recognize him from 350 feet away.

You’re not the test here...

Anyway, it was really cool watching that game last night. I forgot about players like Glenn Hubbard and Franklin Stubbs. And if ESPN had a Vin Scully 24/7 channel, I'd watch it daily.

@ClearTheBases
    @MiLB
    issues statement, basically saying, 'no news yet' in negotiations with
    @MLB
    . "The parties are continuing their discussions, with the goal of concluding a mutually beneficial long-term agreement in the near future."

@UmpireAuditor
    Congratulation to umpire CB Bucknor. He is the new leader for largest miss of the season!

This pitch to Josh Bell missed low and away by 5.96 inches.

https://twitter.com/UmpireAuditor/st...92071607500801

Who doesn't love quirkiness like this!!!

@ZekeJMiller
    WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court is allowing a class-action lawsuit to proceed from minor league baseball players who allege they are being paid less than minimum wage.