Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
NL needs the DH, which means longer games, which means a pitching clock.

I get sick of the length of some ABs with countless foul offs. Don't really want to tinker with the format of an AB though. That would be a drastic change to the game. I wouldn't be 100% against reducing the game length to seven innings, which obviously would be a huge change. I'm not saying I'm 100% for it, either.

Way too many stats. The media likes to tell us stuff like this was the first time there have been champagne celebrations in the opposing team's locker room on back to back days. Who gives a shit?

The real problem regards the length of games is that baseball was invented before tv and smartphones. Those two things have shortened our collective attention spans.

Also, MLB needs to market their stars better. No one cares about them.
1) DH needs to be ubiquitous, Step up, NL,

2) There are rules in the rulebook for how long a pitcher can hold the ball between pitches. These need to be enforced.

3) Don't sweat the shift. I'd rather see a hitter try to beat the shift than watch an annoying LOOGY come in to face one batter.

4) Baseball hs become heavily dependent on analytics and statistics, but why do opponents of this pretend this is unique to baseball? Other sports have copied it, but done so poorly. For example, the NBA was seeing a rise in analytics from fans and bloggers, and then teams hired these guys too quickly to get ahead of the opponent, and didn't allow for them to actually collaborate and work out the flaws in their systems. At least MLB did it right.

5) Yes, there are a lot of home run dependent offenses. But this could also be a fad. In the 1980's, the game was heavily dependent on stolen bases, which were suddenly the secret offensive weapon. Fad. Gone. The early 2000's saw teams relying heavily on walks. Not so any more. These things do change, despite everyone saying "No this is different" every time.