Register now to remove this ad

Page 15 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: The future of baseball

Robot Umps being tested in Atlantic League all star game.
    other names i have posted under: none

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.ed6797efe124
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post

Bring it on! 2020 Baby!
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Bring it on! 2020 Baby!
    "Umpires Who See 20-20 in 2020!"
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

1. Get rid of the juiced ball
    2. Force teams to play 2 infielders on each side of second base. You wanna pull an OFer into the shift, go for it.
    3. Replays done automatically within 10 seconds with a direct link from central to the HP ump. If not obvious, don't overturn it.
    4. I like the 3 batter rule for pitchers. I'd include a caveat that it's a 3 batter rule or end of inning. Keeps from having 3 pitching changes in an inning and keeps things moving
    5. Force all teams to accommodate to the 2020 human body. Teams with old stadiums with no appropriate seating are forced to renovate (I am looking at you Fenway)
    6. Robot strike zone is great. HP ump can overturn at his/her discretion. Saves us from the Angel Hernandez effect
    Hal sucks

What the average Joe and JoAnn fan wants is a fun day at the ballpark. Some teams have been able to provide that . Some have not . You want people to spend their money ; make it worthwhile and fun for them . You don't need a lot of dumb rules changes and stupid gimmicks . Just common sense .

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    What the average Joe and JoAnn fan wants is a fun day at the ballpark. Some teams have been able to provide that . Some have not . You want people to spend their money ; make it worthwhile and fun for them . You don't need a lot of dumb rules changes and stupid gimmicks .
    Some of the rule changes are intended to speed up the game so Joe and JoAnn don't fall asleep as the game approaches the 4 hour mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Some of the rule changes are intended to speed up the game so Joe and JoAnn don't fall asleep as the game approaches the 4 hour mark.
    Just tell the umpires that they are in charge . Tell them to keep the game moving. It can be done . Not all that complicated. When the baseball is good , competitive and fast paced , no one is falling asleep .

Here is an example : Last night , with the Miami pitcher on first base , the Met's pitcher threw over six times to " keep him close ." A total waste of time . What pitch clock ? The ump seems powerless to do anything. That should change . A Mets - Marlins game is bad enough as it is .

It looks like there are about 5 or 6 fans at the first game of the Orioles day/night double header against the Rays.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Here is an example : Last night , with the Miami pitcher on first base , the Met's pitcher threw over six times to " keep him close ." A total waste of time . What pitch clock ? The ump seems powerless to do anything. That should change . A Mets - Marlins game is bad enough as it is .
    At times, I get frustrated by how long some pitchers take in between pitches. It would be to the pitcher's benefit to stop overthinking things so much and to just get the ball and pitch.

That said, there is often a lot of cat and mouse going on between the pitcher and the batter, or the pitcher and a base runner, which IMO, is one of the many great things about baseball. I would hate to see that aspect of the game taken away.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post

From what I heard in last night's telecast, the calls were not immediate. It took about 3 seconds for the ump to get the call from the automated zone and then to make the call.

Think about that for every pitch. Waiting 3 seconds to get a ball or strike call. How is that going to improve the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    From what I heard in last night's telecast, the calls were not immediate. It took about 3 seconds for the ump to get the call from the automated zone and then to make the call.

Think about that for every pitch. Waiting 3 seconds to get a ball or strike call. How is that going to improve the game?
    Just have to cut out the middleman, and have a robot make the call directly-perhaps in a humanized voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Just have to cut out the middleman, and have a robot make the call directly-perhaps in a humanized voice.
    UGH The thought of robot umps really makes me sick.

We are dehumanizing the game a little more with these types of changes. And that has nothing to do with analytics.

#OldSchool

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    UGH The thought of robot umps really makes me sick.

We are dehumanizing the game a little more with these types of changes. And that has nothing to do with analytics.

#OldSchool
    Analytics certainly don't do anything to humanize the game. It's all part of the same deal - the march of technology, the quest for more accurate information.