Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wright has another knee surgery

Wright has another knee surgery

Debridement and cleanout after having microfracture. Anyone counting on him should put him in the Pedroia pile of mystery
    Hal sucks

I agree, but at the very least Wright is a little younger than Pedroia. I think Wright is in the "nice if it works, but signs point to no" group.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Some of Wright's injuries were not arm related, and while the knee is very important to a pitcher, it might be better than arm problems.

Depending on how extensive the surgery was, I'm hopeful Wright can help us next year.

Micro fracture surgery for the knee should be treated akin to labrum surgery in the shoulder. Unknown if ever will be able to return

I agree. I wouldn't count on Wright producing anything. If he does, awesome, but I am doubting he does anything useful in the MLB ever again. Guy cant stay healthy

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    I agree, but at the very least Wright is a little younger than Pedroia. I think Wright is in the "nice if it works, but signs point to no" group.
    He’s only 12 months younger. Basically the same age at this point in their careers...

I wouldn't count him out yet, but I also certainly would not be relying on him to be in our starting rotation, or even to be our #6 guy. We need Eovaldi back.

Wright has been a nice, steady productive player since joining the Sox when healthy.
    He also performs on a very team friendly contract.

Hopefully, he will get healthy again and make a contribution to the 2019 team and beyond. Knuckleballers seem
    to be able to contribute at older ages so perhaps Wright will "age" well if he can recover from this last knee surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I wouldn't count him out yet, but I also certainly would not be relying on him to be in our starting rotation, or even to be our #6 guy. We need Eovaldi back.
    Even Kimmi thinks we need Eovaldi.....I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    We don't exactly NEED him, specifically, but he could be a very nice acquisition, that's for sure. It would also be a nice little box office move for the fans. You know that if you polled Red Sox fans right now about 95% would say 'hell yes' to signing him.

Ugh. Sad he is a good pitcher. What a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Get it done Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    We don't exactly NEED him, specifically, but he could be a very nice acquisition, that's for sure. It would also be a nice little box office move for the fans. You know that if you polled Red Sox fans right now about 95% would say 'hell yes' to signing him.
    Correct. It doesn't have to be Eovaldi, but I really think we need a RHP, and Eovaldi seems like the most logical choice.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Correct. It doesn't have to be Eovaldi, but I really think we need a RHP, and Eovaldi seems like the most logical choice.
    He’s the simplest solution and the most familiar...

Quote Originally Posted by radatz17 View Post
    Wright has been a nice, steady productive player since joining the Sox when healthy.
    He also performs on a very team friendly contract.

Hopefully, he will get healthy again and make a contribution to the 2019 team and beyond. Knuckleballers seem
    to be able to contribute at older ages so perhaps Wright will "age" well if he can recover from this last knee surgery.
    Yep. Such a shame he has had so many injuries.