Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can the Mets be that stupid?

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    I don't follow the Mets but don't they need more than a closer? And to give up 2 highly rated prospects in addition to taking on 36 year old Cano and whatever of the >$100 mil he's still owed.

My adage is don't bail out another team's stupidity.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

I think we may be rushing to judgement here . The Mets are trying to win now . They have a top notch rotation . They needed a closer and more offense . Let's wait and see which prospects they are trading . Let's wait and see how much of Cano's contract Seattle is eating . A couple of days ago , many on here wanted Edwin Diaz . Now , we are ridiculing the Mets for this deal.

I'm a little rusty with my trade math. If Mets are taking on significant payroll and Diaz is the incentive for doing so, then doesn't that mean the return for the Mariners is not top shelf prospects? Something not adding up here....

and the missing part of the puzzle might be that the Mets GM is an agent with no experience of this side of the negotiating desk.

AND Cano was one of his clients.... hmmm...

but as for rush to judgment, it sounds like this deal is getting hammered throughout baseball, and I bring up the Shelby Miller trade - that too was panned far and wide at the time. There are some deals that are just so nonsensical that I think it's fair to question them right off the bat. No pun intended.
    Last edited by Northern Star; 11-30-2018 at 05:58 PM.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I think we may be rushing to judgement here . The Mets are trying to win now . They have a top notch rotation . They needed a closer and more offense . Let's wait and see which prospects they are trading . Let's wait and see how much of Cano's contract Seattle is eating . A couple of days ago , many on here wanted Edwin Diaz . Now , we are ridiculing the Mets for this deal.
    Sports fans? Rush to judgment? Never!
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    They could probably deal Diaz for some better prospects if they wanted too. He's an elite closer, 24 and has 4 years of control remaining.
    I think J.Kelenic and Dunn would be a good enough package for Diaz. That would be a high end package IMO. Just thinking about what the Yankees got for A.Miller: Sheffield and Frazier. I think Kelenic and Dunn are a better package of young talent than Sheffield and Frazier. Kelenic has special upside.

This deal doesn't make sense for the Mets. If Kelenic and Dunn are worth Diaz, why should the Mets take on a 36 year old Cano with one of the worst contracts in baseball? Sure, J.Bruce pretty much sucks, but the money on Cano's contract is worse, not to mention the PED issue as well.

But if I'm the Mets, I wouldn't trade Kelenic and Dunn for Diaz straight up. There are too many closers available in free agency at this juncture. Moreover, while Dunn doesn't profile as a top of the rotation starter, there is a good chance that he could be moved to the bullpen and develop into an excellent bullpen piece.

Assuming this deal goes down, it will be so obvious that the Mets hired a GM who isn't qualified for he job.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 11-30-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    The answer to this question has always been, is, and always will be "of course, they're the Mets."
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    The answer to this question has always been, is, and always will be "of course, they're the Mets."
    The fish rots from the head. Get those jackasses out of there and maybe, just maybe, this shitshow can be turned around.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxGrl View Post
    Talk about two failed franchises.. the Mets & Mariners. At least the Mets won a few WS though. The Mariners have what, three post season appearances since '77?
    For what it's worth, since general manager Jerry Dipoto's arrival three years ago the Seattle Mariners have a better cumulative record than 10 of the 15 American League teams.

Still no postseason appearance since 2001.

The fact that many on here wanted Diaz, and probably still do, has nothing to do with anything. Those same many said that it would be stupid to take on Cano in order to get Diaz. I don't know much about the Mets prospects, but it seems like they are giving up some very good prospects in addition to taking Cano. That's what I like to call the double whammy.

That said, at least Diaz is cost controlled for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    For what it's worth, since general manager Jerry Dipoto's arrival three years ago the Seattle Mariners have a better cumulative record than 10 of the 15 American League teams.

Still no postseason appearance since 2001.
    As a Seattle fan, how do you feel about the deal?

I don't think anyone knows yet exactly how much the Mariners are kicking in for Cano, and that will be a big factor in the final evaluation of the deal.

Mets fans hate this deal, some entertaining reading on a popular Mets forum:
    http://www.metsrefugees.com/forum/sh...134848&page=66

If the Red Sox were run like the Mets, I wouldn't give up on the Red Sox but I would definitely be a less active fan & pay less attention. I paid less attention to the Red Sox in the 1990s, just felt like they were going nowhere that decade and I didn't like how they were being run. Everything changed in the early 2000s when I read an article about Bill James being brought in as an advisor. I also liked Theo. I started to pay close attention to the Red Sox again and have ever since.

Red Sox fans are lucky right now--John Henry is a great owner. If you get stuck with lousy ownership (like the Mets) the fans suffer.

The Mets front office had a choice here, they could eat more of the money and save the prospects or they could include two prospects (one of which is a stud) and force the Mariners to eat some of the money while taking on the Mets bad contracts. The Red Sox would do the former; the Mets are doing the latter and most Mets fans can see it for what it is.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 12-01-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    The fact that many on here wanted Diaz, and probably still do, has nothing to do with anything. Those same many said that it would be stupid to take on Cano in order to get Diaz. I don't know much about the Mets prospects, but it seems like they are giving up some very good prospects in addition to taking Cano. That's what I like to call the double whammy.

That said, at least Diaz is cost controlled for several years.
    How does it have nothing to do with anything? Some posters wanted Diaz . The Mets apparently are getting him . But they are stupid? Dumping Cano was always coupled with a Diaz trade. Personally , I don't want Cano . But he can still hit . The Mets need a closer and some more offense . If Seattle is picking up a good part of his contract and the Mets are unloading a couple of bad contracts, it could work out for them. Why not wait until we see how the Mets do this year before deciding they were fleeced ?

How does it have nothing to do with anything? Some posters wanted Diaz . The Mets apparently are getting him . But they are stupid? Dumping Cano was always coupled with a Diaz trade. Personally , I don't want Cano . But he can still hit . The Mets need a closer and some more offense . If Seattle is picking up a good part of his contract and the Mets are unloading a couple of bad contracts, it could work out for them. Why not wait until we see how the Mets do this year before deciding they were fleeced ?
    If after you deduct the lost cost of Bruce, Cano only costs the Mets $5-10M a year, then getting Diaz with cano is not bad at all, but let's wait and see how the money all shakes out.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    As a Seattle fan, how do you feel about the deal?
    Depends on the money. It could be a win-win if the Mariners send no more than $25 million on top of the $37 million owed Jay Bruce and Anthony Swarzak.

Edwin Diaz has significant surplus value and Robinson Cano is probably worth at least $60 million over five years after posting 20.7 fWAR, valued at $163.7 million, over the first five years of his $240 million contract with Seattle. Steamer projects Cano with a 2019 WAR of 3.0, which is valued at about $25 million. Cano is only 16 months older than Nelson Cruz was four years ago when the Mariners signed Cruz to a four-year, $57 million contract. Cruz had a prior banned-substance suspension as well but came with less defensive value and a less-established record of production. The Mariners don't regret the contract with Cruz, who posted 14.7 fWAR, valued at $126.3 million, with Seattle.

It's tough waiting for all of this to play out.
    Last edited by harmony; 12-01-2018 at 07:27 PM.