Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP President George H.W. Bush

RIP President George H.W. Bush

No political nonsense please! No comparative & incendiary swipes to Dems or R's. Please.

What a great man, father, grandfather, friend, American, & uniter.

Yale Pitching stud & captain, Youngest WWII Navy pilot,
    WWII hero, Oil innovator & businessman, Congressman, revolutionary Ambassador to China, RNC chairman who helped convince Nixon to resign, CIA Chief, 8 yr. VP of the U.S., POTUS 1988-1992, Liberator of Kuwait, A GREAT husband, father, grandfather, & friend.

With all that, one of my personal favorite facts?
    A truly unique and profound friendships with President Bill Clinton, his 1992 political adversary and conqueror. I love what their close relationship says about the character of both men.

"WIMP Factor?" This was what the MSM ironically painted Bush with in the 1992 election?
    George H.W. Bush was a giant, and a pretty damn good man.

RIP President George H.W. Bush
    Last edited by Sox75; 12-01-2018 at 03:25 PM.

Sorry. He wasn't "a great man."

I'll leave the details alone out of respect.

Sad. But, I respect your opinion Moon. I'm not sure how his impressive political, personal, & patriotic war hero resume, combined with liberating Kuwait & overseeing the fall of the Berlin Wall could possibly qualify as anything less than great, but I'm sure you have your reasons.

I get the politics, but I cried when Ted Kennedy & Daniel Patrick Moynihan passed away. Both "great men" in their own right. So much I disagreed with Ted Kennedy about, but I was touched by their passing.

I just think it's a bit small ball to question relative "greatness" today?

I still respect your opinion though.

I know you said let's not get political, but then you do it.

There's a long list I could post, but out of respect, I will refrain.

My apologies Moon. I honestly wasn't trying to be political. I thought my comments on Bill Clinton, Ted Kennedy, & Daniel Patrick Moynihan spoke pretty loudly on that?

I guess I was simply saying, I thought in a nice way, that the day of his death was not necessarily the best time to question or debate his relative "greatness," as a man, a patriot, a legislator, a CIA chief, an ambassador to China, a liberator of Kuwait, a VP, a president, a husband, father, grandfather, friend, & American?

The "greatness," in my mind, is pretty implicit in the resume, whether you agree or disagree with how he did what he did. I will say the same about Obama when his time is done here on earth. I won't have to have agreed with how he performed in his job as president to acknowledge the greatness of the man?

Anyway, I get what you are saying, & I'm sorry if it came off as political. I guess there's no avoiding politics with a political figure. Not very realistic of me to thread that needle.

No hard feelings Moon! I completely respect your opinions on this. We probably wouldn't agree on this, but I get where you are coming from.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    I don't think you'll get unanimous opinions about any American, and while that's sad, that's also OK.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    I don't think you'll get unanimous opinions about any American, and while that's sad, that's also OK.
    You are right for sure and I agree that it is very very sad that partisan political opinions can cloud the achievements of some of the finest Americans that we have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    You are right for sure and I agree that it is very very sad that partisan political opinions can cloud the achievements of some of the finest Americans that we have seen.
    It's not partisan. It's facts.

Still, very sad that all Americans aren't saddened at the passing of such a decent man & great American President.

Again. . . . I totally agree that millions didn't agree with his political persuasions, but . .... a decent and gentile man he certainly was. Forget about my earlier "greatness" moniker! That was a mistake. I understand that now. Not a good way to frame this discussion! In retrospect, I get how loaded that preface was. Again, my apologies. Of course, 1/2 of America is going to disagree with that. A stupid way to frame this post! My bad.

I guess, all I was really saying, is that Bush really seemed to be a very decent man? Perhaps I should have left it at that?

Anyway . . . A very sad day. Seemingly a wonderful man.

Quote Originally Posted by Sox75 View Post
    Still, very sad that all Americans aren't saddened at the passing of such a decent man & great American President.

Again. . . . I totally agree that millions didn't agree with his political persuasions, but . .... a decent and gentile man he certainly was. Forget about my earlier "greatness" moniker! That was a mistake. I understand that now. Not a good way to frame this discussion! In retrospect, I get how loaded that preface was. Again, my apologies. Of course, 1/2 of America is going to disagree with that. A stupid way to frame this post! My bad.

I guess, all I was really saying, is that Bush really seemed to be a very decent man? Perhaps I should have left it at that?

Anyway . . . A very sad day. Seemingly a wonderful man.
    Emphasis on "seemingly".

Look, I'm sad for his family. He lived a long life and satisfying life.

I really don't want to get into specifics out of respect, and it has nothing to do with my political spectrum. I'd say the same of Clinton, Obama and every president since maybe Jimmy Carter, who truly was a decent man, but still made some horrible decisions that cost many innocent people their lives.

It's like Ken Burns on the Vietnam piece saying that so many "good and decent men made decisions based on what they thought was right..." They all knew the truth and chose to continue an unwinnable war to save their own asses politically at the expense of hundreds of thousands or lives lost and untold atrocities those who lived had to endure and cope with the rest of their lives.

I've already said more than I meant to, but he and all these guys are and have always been far from "wonderful." It's not about left and right. It's about buying the propaganda both sides spew or not.

It hasn't happened yet, but just a friendly reminder that we don't allow any political talk on this forum for obvious reasons. If you disagree with what Bush did as a president or his politics or etc, please refrain from posting here. Politic conversations never going anywhere good, especially on baseball forums.

That being said, I don't have much of an opinion on HW Bush, but death is always sad. RIP.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    As someone who was too young to really remember his time as president, when I think of George HW Bush I will always first remember that episode of the Simpsons.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

No worries. I think a great comedian, Dayna Carvey, pretty much captured the spirit of the president. If not the spirit of the man?
    Last edited by Sox75; 12-02-2018 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    It hasn't happened yet, but just a friendly reminder that we don't allow any political talk on this forum for obvious reasons. If you disagree with what Bush did as a president or his politics or etc, please refrain from posting here. Politic conversations never going anywhere good, especially on baseball forums.

That being said, I don't have much of an opinion on HW Bush, but death is always sad. RIP.
    Yes, it's always sad, particularly for the family and friends, when someone dies. I have refrained from being critical in details, but please don't allow pro-Bush propaganda from being posted in the disguise of praise. It is "political" every bit as much as any political criticism is.

This is like starting a thread about Giancarlo Stanton and saying " Let's keep baseball out of it ." Huh ? That said , I would hesitate to call any politician a " great man or great woman ." Politics is a business, a dirty business at that . A power struggle. It is wise for the TalkSox mods to prohibit political stuff. Regrettably, someone will always try to sneak it in.