Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Could Kyler Murray play in NFL/MLB? Next Deion Sanders Bo Jackson?

Could Kyler Murray play in NFL/MLB? Next Deion Sanders Bo Jackson?

So this is a story that probably isn't as big as it should be, but Kyler Murray is one of the better athletes this generation has seen. As some of you may know, he is so good at baseball that he was drafted 9TH OVERALL in the 1st round of the MLB draft over the summer. He originally has planned to play baseball, but wanted to finish out his football career at Oklahoma to prove a point to his doubters. He ended up having one of the more dominant seasons in recent CFB history. He is the front runner for Heisman, led Oklahoma to CFB playoffs and is now projected to be a 1st or 2nd round NFL draft pick.

Murray has said he fully intends to play in the CFB playoffs, and fully intends to report to spring training for the A's and he'll evaluate his NFL career closer to the draft.

This is an amazing story and I am very interested in this story. Is there any language in Murrays contract with the A's stopping him from playing both sports?

Also, his agent is Scott Boras of course

If he was an RB or DB like Bo or Deion, I'd say yes. But as a QB, he cannot have his heart in two places. You have to lead your squad and I doubt he will do that well if he is in Oakland through October
    Hal sucks

Brian Jordan always gets overlooked.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    If he was an RB or DB like Bo or Deion, I'd say yes. But as a QB, he cannot have his heart in two places. You have to lead your squad and I doubt he will do that well if he is in Oakland through October
    Yeah, this is what I feel like would be the major issue for Kyler as well. He is one hell of an athlete and a very likable guy IMO, but two of the hardest things in any pro sport are playing QB in the NFL and hitting MLB pitching.. It would be borderline impossible to be incredibly successful at both. I'm rooting for him regardless though. I'm a big fan.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    If you're good enough to stick in MLB, why subject your body to NFL? I know the baseball season is a slog, but the wear and tear is less. Then there's CTE to contend with as well.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Deity
    It’s a really safe bet his football contract has a clause about not playing baseball, among other sports, probably with some extra compensation. This is hardly a unique situation. The Cubs had to negotiate a bonus of $10mill into the contract of Jeff Samardjiza in order to convince him to abandon football contractually...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It’s a really safe bet his football contract has a clause about not playing baseball, among other sports, probably with some extra compensation. This is hardly a unique situation. The Cubs had to negotiate a bonus of $10mill into the contract of Jeff Samardjiza in order to convince him to abandon football contractually...
    I can guarantee it. The Chiefs got upset when Mahomes was seen playing pick up basketball over the winter. Too risky nowadays, especially as you increase in value to your team
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Legend
    He better be ready for the NFL, this is not Oklahoma. Kingsbury had a 35-40 record at Texas Tech, lets see what he does too. Under Kingsbury Mahomes had a 12-13 record.
    One last thing Murray played behind one of the best Offensive Lines in College Football last year, lets see how he does with the crap the Cardinals have, in the NFL.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 06-02-2019 at 03:36 PM.