Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Starting Pitching thread

2019 Starting Pitching thread

As our rotation appears to be written in ink at this point I feel this is a good time to kick off a thread specifically talking about this aspect of the team.

We have a very good 5 man rotation on paper

Sale
    Price
    Porky
    E-Rod
    Eovaldi

That's good. That's super good. That's "3 different Cy Young winners and 2 young power arms behind them" good.

With Johnson and potentially Wright (if he ever gets healthy) in the wings and a couple further depth options behind them, particularly Mike Shawaryn and Darwinzon Hernandez, who is on the horizon having finished last year in AA. Darwinzon is a good year in AA/AAA from putting himself in the pitching picture, and he was recently put on the 40 man, so don't sleep on him.

We ought to be alight for SP depth, unless crap really hits the fan.

Remembering that Eovaldi is the 4th or 5th guy and signed to what in this market is a pretty reasonable deal takes the edge off any concerns about his performance level. He has ace type stuff but he does not HAVE to be an ace to be worth what he is being paid.

Rough ERA levels and IP I'd expect and be satisfied with for each slot:

Sale: 2.90, 175IP
    Price 3.25, 190 IP
    Porcello 3.75, 200IP
    E-Rod 3.90 150 IP
    Eovaldi: 4.25, 160IP

I suspect our depth will be tested due to the durability issues of Sale, E-Rod, and Eovaldi, but I think each pitcher can achieve those marks, and if they do, the Red Sox will win a lot of games
    Last edited by Dojji; 12-07-2018 at 02:07 PM.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Legend
    For what it's worth, Steamer has the following 2019 projections for Red Sox starters:

Chris Sale, 32 GS, 202 IP, 2.76 ERA, 6.6 WAR
    David Price, 32 GS, 194 IP, 3.94 ERA, 3.5 WAR
    Nathan Eovaldi, 29 GS, 152 IP, 3.89 ERA, 2.8 WAR
    Rick Porcello, 32 GS, 191 IP, 4.24 ERA, 2.6 WAR
    Eduardo Rodriguez, 19 GS, 136 IP, 4.02 ERA, 1.9 WAR

https://www.fangraphs.com/projection...rs=0&sort=19,d

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    For what it's worth, Steamer has the following 2019 projections for Red Sox starters:

Chris Sale, 32 GS, 202 IP, 2.76 ERA, 6.6 WAR
    David Price, 32 GS, 194 IP, 3.94 ERA, 3.5 WAR
    Nathan Eovaldi, 29 GS, 152 IP, 3.89 ERA, 2.8 WAR
    Rick Porcello, 32 GS, 191 IP, 4.24 ERA, 2.6 WAR
    Eduardo Rodriguez, 19 GS, 136 IP, 4.02 ERA, 1.9 WAR

https://www.fangraphs.com/projection...rs=0&sort=19,d
    I think these are better than our 2018 pre-season projections.

Steamer SP'ers

BOS
    6.6 Sale
    3.1 Price
    2.7 Eovaldi
    2.6 Porcello
    1.9 ERod

HOU
    5.1 Verlander
    4.5 G Cole
    2.2 J James
    1.1 Peacock

NYY
    4.5 Severino
    4.0 Paxton
    (3.3 Happ?
    2.6 Tanaka)
    1.4 CC Sab
    0.6 Gray

CLE
    4.8 Kluber
    4.5 Carrasco
    4.0 Bauer
    2.6 Clevinger
    2.2 Bieber

Cleveland will likely trade a pitcher, but they are the only team with 3 guys over 4.0 and 5 guys over 2.0. (We have 5 over 1.9 and are the only other AL team with 4 guys over 2.0.)

Last edited by moonslav59; 12-07-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Our rotation looks very good, provided good health.

I hope Dave does some dumpster diving for some depth.

We need more, IMO.

Clay Buchholz anyone?

From Red Sox Stats

The Red Sox went into last season ranked 6th with 48.0 projected WAR on their roster. After the Eovaldi signing they currently rank 1st with 50.7 projected WAR for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Our rotation looks very good, provided good health.

I hope Dave does some dumpster diving for some depth.

We need more, IMO.

Clay Buchholz anyone?
    GOD NO.

If Wright starts the year in the minors on rehab, we're good for depth with Wright, Johnson, Shawaryn and possibly Hernandez. How much depth do you need?
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    GOD NO.

If Wright starts the year in the minors on rehab, we're good for depth with Wright, Johnson, Shawaryn and possibly Hernandez. How much depth do you need?
    More than 3 or 4.

Take a look at how many starters teams typically use in a regular season. We have several on our list of starters who are questionable health-wise.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    GOD NO.

You can never have enough pitching. But I don't want Buchholz back.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Deity
    GOD NO.

I’ll tell you how much depth you need right after you tell me how many injuries the Sox are going to have.

Considering we have Eovaldi, ERod, Sale and Price in the rotation, I wouldn’t aim tooow with the prediction...

Last winter, many felt we need more starter depth, and as it turned out, we did, when we went out and got Eovaldi.

Now, we don't have Pom but have Eovaldi.

I think we give Wright, Johnson and Velazquez a look (maybe Shawaryn, if he's doing well in AAA), and if they don'y work, DD goes looking again. Maybe he finds the next Eovaldi for peanuts.

Right now, we need to focus attention on the pen. The rest can wait to mid season.

All-Star
    Our starting five have questions about injury/health. The depth has questions about performance. I think Wright is the wild card here. If he's well and on, then what we have now might be enough. If not, we may have to look elsewhere for that 6th man. And even for a 7th if we have poor injury luck.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Last winter, many felt we need more starter depth, and as it turned out, we did, when we went out and got Eovaldi.

Now, we don't have Pom but have Eovaldi.

I think we give Wright, Johnson and Velazquez a look (maybe Shawaryn, if he's doing well in AAA), and if they don'y work, DD goes looking again. Maybe he finds the next Eovaldi for peanuts.

Right now, we need to focus attention on the pen. The rest can wait to mid season.

Minor league contracts are compatibly free. And it’s not like DD is the only guy in the front office. The guy has an Assistant GM, right?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    Our starting five have questions about injury/health. The depth has questions about performance. I think Wright is the wild card here. If he's well and on, then what we have now might be enough. If not, we may have to look elsewhere for that 6th man. And even for a 7th if we have poor injury luck.
    Most teams use about 10 starting pitchers every year...

The only pitchers on last year's roster who took starts that aren't on the roster this year are Jalen Beeks and Drew Pomeranz. If we assume that we can survive without those two pitchers, we're ok.

We already have one new starter in the pipeline who wasn't in the picture last year -- Mike Shawaryn. We also have Wright and Johnson in the wings. And that's before any potential in season moves to shore up our SP depth.

We do not need to make SP a major offseason priority. The kind of injury wave that would destroy this rotation would probably destroy this rotation plus 1 or 2 more mediocre AAAA guys. At a certain point you do have to trust things to work.
    Last edited by Dojji; 12-07-2018 at 08:46 PM.