Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball movies

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar

Baseball movies

I just finished the original nine "innings" of Ken Burns' Baseball. Really great stuff for the most part, which covers most of the notable people and events. I really enjoyed seeing a lot of old photos and film that I'd never seen before.

I hope someone sat Buck O'Neil down for hundreds of hours of recorded stories, because I could listen to him all day.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

I've seen a lot of those baseball documentaries. The one about the 1941 season is a classic. DiMaggio's 56 game streak and Ted Williams's .406 season. The clips of Williams when he was The Kid are amazing.

Deity
    The one inaccuracy from all this old footage that still pervades is our image of Babe Ruth.

In every photo or clip of him, he’s rather portly. But from what I’ve heard, early in his career, he was much thinner and more athletic. But as we only have good clips from later in his career, typically in the 1930’s when he was 15+ years into his playing days after he’d put on considerable weight.

It also doesn’t help that in movies, he’s portrayed by actors like John Goodman...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The one inaccuracy from all this old footage that still pervades is our image of Babe Ruth.

In every photo or clip of him, he’s rather portly. But from what I’ve heard, early in his career, he was much thinner and more athletic. But as we only have good clips from later in his career, typically in the 1930’s when he was 15+ years into his playing days after he’d put on considerable weight.

It also doesn’t help that in movies, he’s portrayed by actors like John Goodman...
    Babe Ruth must have been an incredible athlete to do what he did.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Babe Ruth must have been an incredible athlete to do what he did.

It’s often noted that when he hit 60 HRs in 1927, he outhomered every team in the AL. But what’s rarely if ever mentioned is Gehrig hit 47 that year and outhomered 4 of the other 7 teams on his own. Or that Lazzeri hit 18 HRs and came in third in the AL.

Can you imagine how incredible the 1920s Red Sox-Yankees rivalry would have been if the Sox held on to Ruth, Pennock, Mays, etc.? Two titans battling among all these other Lilliputians...

It’s often noted that when he hit 60 HRs in 1927, he outhomered every team in the AL. But what’s rarely if ever mentioned is Gehrig hit 47 that year and outhomered 4 of the other 7 teams on his own. Or that Lazzeri hit 18 HRs and came in third in the AL.

Can you imagine how incredible the 1920s Red Sox-Yankees rivalry would have been if the Sox held on to Ruth, Pennock, Mays, etc.? Two titans battling among all these other Lilliputians...
    Just think what it would have been like if there was a Talksox forum back in 1919 when Frazee sold Ruth to the Yanks.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Just think what it would have been like if there was a Talksox forum back in 1919 when Frazee sold Ruth to the Yanks.
    Maybe there was. We just didn’t have computers to access it...

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    One thing that will always stick with me from Ken Burns' Baseball is Curt Flood talking about going back to the clubhouse after games and all the players threw their uniforms in a pile and the clubhouse attendant picked out Flood's with a stick to be sent to the colored laundry. Disgraceful.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Deity
    A little baseball movie trivia:

Without any help from Google, name the only three baseball movies nominated for Best Picture...

A little baseball movie trivia:

Without any help from Google, name the only three baseball movies nominated for Best Picture...
    Just guessing:

Field of Dreams
    Pride of the Yankees
    For Love of the Game
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    Just guessing:

Field of Dreams
    Pride of the Yankees
    For Love of the Game
    2 correct.

Deity
    No more guesses?

Moneyball
    Field of Dreams
    Air Bud: Seventh Inning Fetch
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Moneyball
    Field of Dreams
    Air Bud: Seventh Inning Fetch
    Also 2 correct.

And yes, this does mean "Field of Dreams" is one of the correct answers...

Moneyball
    Field of Dreams
    Pride of the Yankees
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."