Register now to remove this ad

Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: What would a Betts extension be?

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    It's a great price when you disregard the 10 years attached to it.
    "Besides that, how did you like the play, Mrs Lincoln?"
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    You're way short for a ten year contract, his agent wouldn't let him take that when he should be able to get $300 mil elsewhere.
    That's why his remaining deal with the Yanks is good for the Yanks, unless he starts sucking sooner than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The problem with the Stanton deal was paying him and giving up prospects to get him.

In today's FA market, Stanton for $220M/10 is a bargain.
    Correction: 2028 is a team option year so it's actually 9 years left.

FWIW a lot of Yankee fans are less than enamored with Stanton's deal and think it has a lot to do with not going after Machado or Harper.

One of the reasons is they think Stanton can't really play the field any more and will soon be a full time DH.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

He’s more than capable of being a good OFer. His UZR/150’s have been good to really good. His issue with the Marlins was soft tissue type injuries and the guy is built like an Adonis. He pulls muscles and he’s out longer than most. Hence, keeping him as a DH increases his durability

I would much rather have JD and his 5 year contract than Stanton and his 10 year contract.

I would much rather have JD and his 5 year contract than Stanton and his 10 year contract.
    Just so I got it straight, you prefer a contract with all 5 years at and post 30 year old years old at $22M versus a contract with 3 years under 30 plus 6 at and post 30 years old at $22M.

(Note: I prefer JD, too, because JD>GS.)

JD’s contract is a 2 year deal dressed up as a 5 year deal. Of course you’d rather that type of deal, everyone would

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Correction: 2028 is a team option year so it's actually 9 years left.

FWIW a lot of Yankee fans are less than enamored with Stanton's deal and think it has a lot to do with not going after Machado or Harper.

One of the reasons is they think Stanton can't really play the field any more and will soon be a full time DH.
    I’m not sure who floated that narrative, but it’s not supported by facts. Stanton is actually a good corner OFer. Gardner and Judge just happen to be better defensively. Stanton isn’t a CFer. The only reason why we chose Stanton to almost exclusively DH is the injury risk. Stanton has had trouble staying on the field even in years where he doesn’t take a ball in the grill. DHing him is the best way to ensure his bat is in the lineup.

Also, Yankee fans who don’t like his contract are stupid. His contract is not the reason we aren’t chasing the big boys. The ridiculous AAV offered to both guys is the reason

Just so I got it straight, you prefer a contract with all 5 years at and post 30 year old years old at $22M versus a contract with 3 years under 30 plus 6 at and post 30 years old at $22M.

(Note: I prefer JD, too, because JD>GS.)

Yes, I do, but I do acknowledge that I might feel differently if JD had not performed so well last year.

Also, saying that Stanton's contract is $22 mil a year is rather misleading. I get that for tax purposes, it's $22 mil, but that is not what the Yankees are paying him. For the 6 post 30 years, the Yankees will be paying Stanton between $29 and $32 mil a year. That's a significant difference over JD's max yearly amount.

Yes, I do, but I do acknowledge that I might feel differently if JD had not performed so well last year.

Also, saying that Stanton's contract is $22 mil a year is rather misleading. I get that for tax purposes, it's $22 mil, but that is not what the Yankees are paying him. For the 6 post 30 years, the Yankees will be paying Stanton between $29 and $32 mil a year. That's a significant difference over JD's max yearly amount.
    True. Good point.

Let's see what Harper and Machado get. That would give us an indication on Mookie.

Imo people are over shooting Harper and Manny big time. If either one of them gets a 300M contract then the GM should probably get fired. They are way over hyped.

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    Let's see what Harper and Machado get. That would give us an indication on Mookie.

Imo people are over shooting Harper and Manny big time. If either one of them gets a 300M contract then the GM should probably get fired. They are way over hyped.
    I think their ages is what a lot of the hype is about. Both are pretty young by FA standards, and most of the worst long term deals were given to older or much older stars/

I think their ages is what a lot of the hype is about. Both are pretty young by FA standards, and most of the worst long term deals were given to older or much older stars/
    Harper is 5 WAR player minus his MVP season. His base running sucks and his fielding is meh. that's not worth a 300M contract.
    His bat is his only value and he is too inconsistent with it. He goes into 2 weeks stretches without doing a damn thing multiple times yearly.
    Manny to me has higher value because of what he produces from his position.

Mookie Betts and Mike Trout are going to get more , maybe a lot more , than Harper and Machado . They are on a different level in every way .

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    Harper is 5 WAR player minus his MVP season. His base running sucks and his fielding is meh. that's not worth a 300M contract.
    His bat is his only value and he is too inconsistent with it. He goes into 2 weeks stretches without doing a damn thing multiple times yearly.
    Manny to me has higher value because of what he produces from his position.
    I don't think Harper is worth $300M/12 let alone $300M/10. I agree on him, but his age does mean he should get more than other FAs with his numbers at age 30 or 31.

Machado plays SS and is young. I'm not sure anyone's really worth $300M/10, but Machado looks better than some of the top contracts given out in the past, when you count in positional value.

Even if the Sox had $300M to spend, I wouldn't give him $200M.