Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    That’s my concern as well. 6% inflation is no joke and most of it has to do with increased demand and an inability to keep up the supply. When you’ve got ships full of goods that cannot be offloaded, you’ve got issues. We will eventually handle that, but printing money makes the country spend and when people have more money, the price of goods rises as demand rises
    There is more to it than that, and I don't want to risk getting political and opening up a hate debate, but there are a aton of very well-paying jobs out there that can not or are not being filled. It seems that the whole "stealing our jobs" mantra and subsequent actions to limit the inflow of migrant workers and immigrants either worked or was a farce to begin with.

Who is going to do the undesirable jobs, now? We can't even fill the desirable ones!
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    There is more to it than that, and I don't want to risk getting political and opening up a hate debate, but there are a aton of very well-paying jobs out there that can not or are not being filled. It seems that the whole "stealing our jobs" mantra and subsequent actions to limit the inflow of migrant workers and immigrants either worked or was a farce to begin with.

Who is going to do the undesirable jobs, now? We can't even fill the desirable ones!
    What are these ton of very well-paying jobs and why aren't they being filled?

Mystifying indeed.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

Mystifying indeed.
    Read the news. There are companies offering the world for good new employees.

Even some normally lower paying jobs are offering $16-20/hr to flip hamburgers or clean hotel rooms.
    Sox 4 Ever

The great resignation cannot last forever. Eventually the people who left the work force due to covid will have to re-enter it. But you are right. My brother owns a burger joint and he cannot find help. He’s raised pay by 50% and severely limited his own profits and he still cannot get help

I did what everyone says not to do. Tired of seeing notifications of former classmates dying, and as I was selling in a dying industry (printing), I retired at 60 and drove an Uber. That was 3 years ago and it remains one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Life is too short to be unhappy and I was burned out and tired of waiting for a call to come to the conference room. Having zero debt is the key to financial security, now I just drive when and where I want to and I really enjoy it. I haven't tapped a dollar from my retirement account or filed for SS as the Uber income is all I need to keep the lights on.

Oh and I do believe SS will be there for everyone. They may need to tweak it and change the amount that people contribute but nobody seeking re-election will ever vote to cut or eliminate the benefits seniors rely on.
    Last edited by Yaz Fan Since '67; 02-26-2022 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz Fan Since '67 View Post
    I did what everyone says not to do. Tired of seeing notifications of former classmates dying, and as I was selling in a dying industry (printing), I retired at 60 and drove an Uber. That was 3 years ago and it remains one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Life is too short to be unhappy and I was burned out and tired of waiting for a call to come to the conference room. Having zero debt is the key to financial security, now I just drive when and where I want to and I really enjoy it. I haven't tapped a dollar from my retirement account or filed for SS as the Uber income is all I need to keep the lights on.

Oh and I do believe SS will be there for everyone. They may need to tweak it and change the amount that people contribute but nobody seeking re-election will ever vote to cut or eliminate the benefits seniors rely on.
    Good for you!

My whole life, I planned to retire at 45-50. I saved and saved and paid off my mortgages quickly. Then, I got married, again and had a child.

There went those plans, but I did switch to a profession that brings me joy: teaching.

Now that I have a teacher retirement plan, my SS will be cut in half- like that's fair.

We paid off our home in 11.5 years and are now looking at buying an investment property, as in a short term rental vacation home.

I'm 62 and may not retire for a while, unless this STR business booms.
    Sox 4 Ever

Triple A
    When I posted this below in October 2021 bitcoin was over 62,800, now it's 19,200. The DJIA and S&P500 are below December 2020 levels (21 months ago). And it's not even the new Federal fiscal year yet (October 1). Hold onto your seats because this roller coaster is at the top of the track and there are no brakes. All is not well.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Doh View Post
    If you look at the M1 (money supply), you better get yourselves three more jobs, because you are going to be a world of hurt in a couple of years (as you will need a lot of money). The Fed is a poor magician, it can take the rabbit out of the hat, but it can't put it back in. https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M1SL

Top of the tracks when down over 21 months?
    Sox 4 Ever

When I posted this below in October 2021 bitcoin was over 62,800, now it's 19,200. The DJIA and S&P500 are below December 2020 levels (21 months ago). And it's not even the new Federal fiscal year yet (October 1). Hold onto your seats because this roller coaster is at the top of the track and there are no brakes. All is not well.
    Buying opportunity. Whenever the news appears to be the worst, that is the best time to buy. Whenever the news is all sunny days and rainbows with the market, it's time to take some out
    Hal sucks

Bitcoin is a different issue than the Dow.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

Mystifying indeed.
    what mystifies me is that the current unemployment statistics that are published want us to believe that more people are working than ever before but yet it appears that many many business owners can't find enough people to work for them. Makes no sense.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    what mystifies me is that the current unemployment statistics that are published want us to believe that more people are working than ever before but yet it appears that many many business owners can't find enough people to work for them. Makes no sense.
    Unemployment numbers only count people actively looking for work and making less than $20 per week. So anyone who decided to simply stay at home and raise the kids isn’t counted. And anyone grabbing some cash by driving for Uber a couple times per week isn’t counted either…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Unemployment numbers only count people actively looking for work and making less than $20 per week. So anyone who decided to simply stay at home and raise the kids isn’t counted. And anyone grabbing some cash by driving for Uber a couple times per week isn’t counted either…
    hmm - I do know this. I was kind of leaning in a different direction. Why would people who can work and should work chose not to? I think that I know some of the answers.

Deity
    hmm - I do know this. I was kind of leaning in a different direction. Why would people who can work and should work chose not to? I think that I know some of the answers.
    Well, a lot of people choose to stay at home and raise the kids. That’s the most obvious one.

A lot of people left one job to start businesses post-pandemic, too…

If you can get paid to not work, and make almost the same that you would if you were working, why would someone work? Of course that money isn't free for everyone, since it comes from taxpayers and from the Fed printing new money (which devalues the dollar and also affects taxpayers).