Register now to remove this ad

Page 185 of 200 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,775 of 2989

Thread: The Pen

The problem with the BP is that the BP is being asked to do more than a BP should be asked to do. The "problem with the BP" in last night's game was that the offense couldn't get a hit with RISP.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    The problem with the BP is that the BP is being asked to do more than a BP should be asked to do. The "problem with the BP" in last night's game was that the offense couldn't get a hit with RISP.
    Yet many will remember just the pen got the loss.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    A “proven closer” doesn’t fix the bullpen. But letting two late inning, high leverage arms go and replacing them only with Colten Brewer and wishful thinking was a bad idea.

I do wonder if there was some MASSIVE miscommunication here. Dombrowski built a team expecting it to be carried by the rotation, with the bullpen merely wrapping up the ends of games.. But Cora is managing the team in a way that emphasizes resting the rotation and relying more heavily on the bullpen. Not exactly coinciding plans here...
    I don't think it's necessarily wishful thinking. The best relievers often seemingly come out of nowhere. And relievers who were great high leverage arms aren't necessarily great high leverage arms the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Kimmi , I think an impartial observer would look at our off season like this : To D.D. " You lost your closer , (and 42 saves ) who has been one of your top performers for the last three years . You also lost your best ( albeit sometimes erratic) power arm in the pen . You basically did nothing to compensate for these losses . You took the position that the remaining guys could handle things . That was a real leap of faith . And it has not worked out very well . The performance of your starters has been an unexpected disappointment . The performance of your bullpen has been predictable. "
    I am guessing that most people would agree with you about the need to add some of those well known free agent relievers to the pen. I disagree that the performance of the BP has been predictable.

That's the core of the problem, IMO.

If the starters had been performing more to expectations all season long, our pen would look a lot better.

Red Sox Stats‏ @redsoxstats 46m46 minutes ago

Workman and Ottavino

Workman and Ottavino

G 44 44
    IP 41 41
    K/9 12.6 12.3
    BB/9 6.1 5.9
    ERA 1.74 1.76
    WAR 0.9 0.8

We have essentially the same pitcher, for a fraction of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Red Sox Stats‏ @redsoxstats 46m46 minutes ago

Workman and Ottavino

Workman and Ottavino

G 44 44
    IP 41 41
    K/9 12.6 12.3
    BB/9 6.1 5.9
    ERA 1.74 1.76
    WAR 0.9 0.8

We have essentially the same pitcher, for a fraction of the cost.
    If we'd only have signed Cody Allen instead of Pearce!
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    If we'd only have signed Cody Allen instead of Pearce!
    I have no problems with the way Dombrowski did things during the offseason. It looks really bad now, but I'd support the same types of moves all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I have no problems with the way Dombrowski did things during the offseason. It looks really bad now, but I'd support the same types of moves all over again.
    I am surprised that you liked bringing back Pearce and Nunez.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Legend
    The problem with the pen is two fold: the SP sucks and the pen sucks too. They are currently the ninth ranked pen in the AL and the SP is seventh in ERA. The problem with the pen is not the offense which is first in runs scored and third in OPS in the AL.
    Our pitching sucks, and as we all know, solid pitching is what wins rings.

You ever notice on the Sox pen that it's usually just one guy who implodes when it's a string of 3 or 4 relievers (save for the Yankee debacle in London where it seemed everyone got hit). And it's almost always a different guy. One game it's Barnes, then it's Brasier, then it's Walden, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dannycater View Post
    You ever notice on the Sox pen that it's usually just one guy who implodes when it's a string of 3 or 4 relievers (save for the Yankee debacle in London where it seemed everyone got hit). And it's almost always a different guy. One game it's Barnes, then it's Brasier, then it's Walden, etc.
    Using 3 or 4 relievers in a game is a quest in search of failure.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Really to expand on my last post, a lot of good innings by the bullpen in a lot of games, it's just they play Russian Roulette by having to throw a 4th reliever because the fucking Starting Staff collectively can't go enough outs.

Great post about connecting bad bullpen to offense not clutching up. That's also been a signature problem. At least in the Toronto win, the SP and the bullpen were in essence bailed out by the offense. So mark that one for the offense doing their job, maybe more so than it should have.

I can't believe I'm saying this but if Rock the Cashner doesn't get 18 outs, I almost half-expect the fans to boo him if he gets shelled early.