Register now to remove this ad

Page 196 of 200 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,940 of 2989

Thread: The Pen

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    The Yankees (.345) have a higher on-base percentage than the Red Sox (.344):

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...2-31&sort=13,d

So there's that dimension.
    The Yanks have more power and essentially the same OBP. The Sox have 13 more steals as a team. Ultimately, the two offenses are pretty similar in productivity. Where the similarities end is on the injury side. We’ve lost an entire season from Andujar and Stanton, 2+ months of Judge, a month of Voit, 2+ months from Hicks, 2 months from Didi, a couple weeks of Sanchez, a week of Lemahieu and Torres (didn’t hit the DL, but both with groin/core issues), and two weeks of Gardner. Heck, we even lost two weeks of Frazier when he was with the big club. We have gotten yeoman’s work from some backups, but imagine if our lineup was actually intact? They’ll all presumably be healthy for next year. That doesn’t bode well for the AL

Deity
    The Yankees (.345) have a higher on-base percentage than the Red Sox (.344):

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...2-31&sort=13,d

So there's that dimension.
    So one more Yankee reaches base for every 1,000 who come to the plate and you go out of you way to say it’s higher?

Said it before, say it again - the biggest problem with baseball stats is people don’t understand math...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The Yanks have more power and essentially the same OBP. The Sox have 13 more steals as a team. Ultimately, the two offenses are pretty similar in productivity. Where the similarities end is on the injury side. We’ve lost an entire season from Andujar and Stanton, 2+ months of Judge, a month of Voit, 2+ months from Hicks, 2 months from Didi, a couple weeks of Sanchez, a week of Lemahieu and Torres (didn’t hit the DL, but both with groin/core issues), and two weeks of Gardner. Heck, we even lost two weeks of Frazier when he was with the big club. We have gotten yeoman’s work from some backups, but imagine if our lineup was actually intact? They’ll all presumably be healthy for next year. That doesn’t bode well for the AL
    So, get a new training staff or don't sign so many muscle bound players.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    So one more Yankee reaches base for every 1,000 who come to the plate and you go out of you way to say it’s higher?

Said it before, say it again - the biggest problem with baseball stats is people don’t understand math...
    thats pretty good. lol.
    other names i have posted under: none

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

Such as the poster who claimed the Yankees are a one-dimensional power team as opposed to a multi-dimensional Red Sox team with the ability to get on base.

Consider the context.

Quote Originally Posted by dannycater View Post
    When Walden was pitching in the 9th last night, right before the game's final pitch I thought, "He's got this great streak of not allowing anything and he's overdue to give up..."...it was over the fence before I finished my thought. That's the Sox Pen this year (except Workman).
    I went to sleep before the game was even tied up. When I woke up and saw they'd lost, my first thought was, "I bet Walden blew it. He's due." Just that kind of year, yeah.

Cashner looked pretty nasty coming out of the bullpen and picking up a save on Tuesday night. Now that Cashner have been moved to the bullpen, perhaps the Red Sox can get a read on his effectiveness as a relief pitcher and potential closer? He has the stuff of a closer (as well as the look of a closer).

If Cashner performs well down the stretch in the pen, maybe the Red Sox resign him for a cheaper rate than what the Giants Will Smith will get on the free agent market. Smith is a little younger--30 years old, while Cashner will be turning 33 in less than a month. Smith will probably be more expensive, perhaps over 10 m per year, and he will likely get a longer contract than Cashner.

You’re kidding. You really have to be kidding. Or high. One outing after sucking hard for a month and you want to anoint him as a better alternative than Smith, whose been a dominant closer or setup man for years? You’re too much.

Cashner is going to sign with someone as a starter. His record in Baltimore is going to be useful for him and with the dearth of SP, someone will sign him on a pillow contract for a season to see if he can still start.

Just for fun, I'm watching to see if we can keep the save % above 50% for the year. We're currently at 51%.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Such as the poster who claimed the Yankees are a one-dimensional power team as opposed to a multi-dimensional Red Sox team with the ability to get on base.

Consider the context.
    Now now. Don’t go using the failure to understand math of other people to justify your own...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Just for fun, I'm watching to see if we can keep the save % above 50% for the year. We're currently at 51%.
    You know how to party...

Cora had some interesting comments a couple of days ago on his handling of the pen. He basically said that he messed up in trying to make Barnes an "ace reliever". I'm not sure that I necessarily agree with him on how he used Barnes. I think the problem lies more with the frequency that he had to use Barnes in high stress situations due to the starting pitching underperforming and the offense not tacking on runs like they did last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Cora had some interesting comments a couple of days ago on his handling of the pen. He basically said that he messed up in trying to make Barnes an "ace reliever". I'm not sure that I necessarily agree with him on how he used Barnes. I think the problem lies more with the frequency that he had to use Barnes in high stress situations due to the starting pitching underperforming and the offense not tacking on runs like they did last season.
    I said it before and I'll say it again . The concept of " leverage situations " is misguided. These guys can warm up and prepare better when they have defined roles . And they certainly prefer to start a clean inning as much as possible . Some things that may look good on paper do not always work so well in reality .

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I said it before and I'll say it again . The concept of " leverage situations " is misguided. These guys can warm up and prepare better when they have defined roles . And they certainly prefer to start a clean inning as much as possible . Some things that may look good on paper do not always work so well in reality .
    On the whole, I do not think that a closer should be limited to just pitching the 9th inning. Sometimes, the game needs to be saved in the 7th or 8th innings, and I think it's a mistake to keep the closer on the bench for a save situation that may never come.

That said, I do agree with you that many, probably most relievers are creatures of routine, and they prefer to know exactly what their roles are. Kimbrel certainly comes to mind here. It's on the manager to know his players well enough to discern who can handle what.

For the most part, I think Barnes' 'failure', if you can call it that, came not from the lack of a defined role, but from overuse and overexposure. Cora had to go to Barnes a lot more than he anticipated. Lack of bullpen depth contributed to this, along with the things mentioned in my previous post.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I think that is a sweeping generalization that certainly applies to some relievers, but not all. There are also pitchers who want the ball no matter what, relish the high leverage chances and challenges, and always think they're the guy for any situation. These are human beings and aren't so easily categorized...