Register now to remove this ad

Page 199 of 200 FirstFirst ... 99149189197198199200 LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,985 of 2989

Thread: The Pen

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    The disappointing performance from the rotation was certainly not anticipated . The bullpen problems were very much expected . Or at least should have been . A strong, deep bullpen can , at least to some extent, compensate for a weak rotation. In any case , expecting to consistently get seven good innings from your starter is not realistic in today's game .
    DD should have at least signed one proven reliever.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    DD should have at least signed one proven reliever.
    Had we signed Morton & Ottavino and not Eovaldi & Pearce, we'd probably be in the WC driver's seat, but I don't remember many people wanting Morton.

I do remember many of us talking about Ottavino.

Where would we be now had we signed Ottavino, instead of Pearce?
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Had we signed Morton & Ottavino and not Eovaldi & Pearce, we'd probably be in the WC driver's seat, but I don't remember many people wanting Morton.

Hard to say, but maybe 2-3 games better. Also, it's possible that if we were in a better position at the deadline they would have made a further effort to bolster the pen.

Who's Pearce?

DD was signed as a GM to bring Boston a championship. He accomplished that, so I would give him a honeymoon this year. Next year the honeymoon is over.

Hard to say, but maybe 2-3 games better. Also, it's possible that if we were in a better position at the deadline they would have made a further effort to bolster the pen.
    True, but had we signed Ottavino over Pearce, we'd have had no extra money at the deadline.

Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    DD was signed as a GM to bring Boston a championship. He accomplished that, so I would give him a honeymoon this year. Next year the honeymoon is over.
    If it were up to me, and the reset happens this winter. The honeymoon would be over, and DD would be replaced.
    Sox 4 Ever

It's usually going to be a problem when you blow 50% of your save opportunities. That is what our bullpen has done this season . Say what you will about the nuances of the save rule , it represents a game that goes into the win column. As the late , great Vince Lombardi said ; winning is kind of important. Or something like that .

Deity
    It's usually going to be a problem when you blow 50% of your save opportunities. That is what our bullpen has done this season . Say what you will about the nuances of the save rule , it represents a game that goes into the win column. As the late , great Vince Lombardi said ; winning is kind of important. Or something like that .
    And that number could have been improved if DD paid any attention to the bullpen instead of losing both Kimbrel and Kelly and somehow concluding “Colten Brewer should be enough here.”

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    And that number could have been improved if DD paid any attention to the bullpen instead of losing both Kimbrel and Kelly and somehow concluding “Colten Brewer should be enough here.”
    Absolutely. No matter how big your payroll may be , you still have to spend the money wisely to cover the important areas . Or , you can hope to get lucky . Sometimes that works . Sometimes it doesn't.

Deity
    Absolutely. No matter how big your payroll may be , you still have to spend the money wisely to cover the important areas . Or , you can hope to get lucky . Sometimes that works . Sometimes it doesn't.
    If you spend and it doesn’t work, that might be on the players. But if you don’t spend and it doesn’t work, that’s on you...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It was shocking he didn't at least load up on Colten Brewer types in hopes that 2 or 3 worked out.

It was hard to foresee Barnes reversing his streak of continuous improvement seasons. Workman made up for it, but all others sucked, except for Walden.
    Sox 4 Ever

The crazy thing is, the pen has been great lately, outside the Brasier meltdown.

The crazy thing is, the pen has been great lately, outside the Brasier meltdown.
    I thought they have been pretty good all season. I know I’m in the minority here (perhaps alone) but if we had - pick a bullpen instead of ours, NYY? - we would be pretty much exactly where we are in the standings at $50MM more in payroll....
    other names i have posted under: none

Deity
    True, but had we signed Ottavino over Pearce, we'd have had no extra money at the deadline.

And then we wouldn’t have added who?