Register now to remove this ad

Page 65 of 200 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pen

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Okay . But my guess is that Wohlers' opinion would not be shared by most relief pitchers / closers past or present . And Speier is still a dweeb . He wouldn't know a slider from a hoagie if it hit him in the butt .

1) Tough call. His opinion might be more popular than you realize. Heck maybe he was quoting another closer himself.

2) Like Speier or not, dweeb or not, are any of our opinions - which this is a whole forum for - any better?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    1) Tough call. His opinion might be more popular than you realize. Heck maybe he was quoting another closer himself.

2) Like Speier or not, dweeb or not, are any of our opinions - which this is a whole forum for - any better?
    No they absolutely are better than mine - only speak for myself. I kind of like him but my guess would be once again that there likely are former players out there with every bit as much expertise as he has. He happens to be here. Given the option - and if I actually cared about this stuff - the analytical expert with the playing experience would be the one that I would hang my hat on. You see it really is all about personal choice. There are people here who do feel as they they have to prove a point when it comes to this crap. i don't worry much about it. If my automobile needs work, it is likely that a person who has studied the mechanism thoroughly but has never actually worked on a vehicle would not get my business. I would sooner opt for the person who has done the studying and had some practical experience as well.

one of the greatest baseball players of all time was a terrible manager.
    see: Williams, Ted.
    one of the greatest baseball managers of all time was a horrific player.
    see: Anderson, Sparky

to say Alex Speier cant be an "expert" on baseball because he never played an inning of MLB is just dumb.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post

to say Alex Speier cant be an "expert" on baseball because he never played an inning of MLB is just dumb.
    Agreed completely with this. There are brilliant men out there that have never played the game, but can build a winning team like you wouldn’t believe. Sure it helps if you player the game, but that doesn’t mean you will be or won’t be a good manager.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    No they absolutely are better than mine - only speak for myself. I kind of like him but my guess would be once again that there likely are former players out there with every bit as much expertise as he has. He happens to be here. Given the option - and if I actually cared about this stuff - the analytical expert with the playing experience would be the one that I would hang my hat on. You see it really is all about personal choice. There are people here who do feel as they they have to prove a point when it comes to this crap. i don't worry much about it. If my automobile needs work, it is likely that a person who has studied the mechanism thoroughly but has never actually worked on a vehicle would not get my business. I would sooner opt for the person who has done the studying and had some practical experience as well.

The best former-player-turned-analytical-expert I can think of is Steve Stone, who was MLB’s equivalent of Tony Romo before Romo even started playing football...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post

No one is likely to argue that Alex Speier knows what he is talking about. If someone said that, I could have missed it. If you are on the field and actually showing someone how to do something it is helpful though if you can sort of do it. You don't have to expert in it since it isn't life or death but it does help. For the record, I kind of like him.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The best former-player-turned-analytical-expert I can think of is Steve Stone, who was MLB’s equivalent of Tony Romo before Romo even started playing football...

thanks for that - i do like Speier but once again if you have someone who really is good at what they do, my persoanal preference would be to go with the guy with the on field experience.

Former ballplayers often make excellent color commentators - Tony Romo, Dennis Eckersley - and a lot of that has to do with their playing experience.

But the majority of good sportswriters were not players.

It's just different skill-sets.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

One scout's take on the bullpen:

“The gulf is wide. The Yankees’ bullpen is the best in the game,’’ a second scout said of the Yankees main quintet, who have a combined 432 saves. “They have four and five guys who can lock down a game from the sixth inning on. The Red Sox need help. Thornburg has been hurt and it will be hard to depend on him. The Yankees are a major league bullpen and the Red Sox are at a Double-A level as far as the gap.’’

https://nypost.com/2019/02/15/yankee...es-in-al-east/

Quote Originally Posted by BillyWilliams View Post
    One scout's take on the bullpen:

“The gulf is wide. The Yankees’ bullpen is the best in the game,’’ a second scout said of the Yankees main quintet, who have a combined 432 saves. “They have four and five guys who can lock down a game from the sixth inning on. The Red Sox need help. Thornburg has been hurt and it will be hard to depend on him. The Yankees are a major league bullpen and the Red Sox are at a Double-A level as far as the gap.’’

https://nypost.com/2019/02/15/yankee...es-in-al-east/
    the best takeaway from that article:
    After finishing eight games back of the Red Sox and losing the ALDS in four games to their blood rivals last season
    other names i have posted under: none

After we win the Division, I will happily proclaim that

Despite finishing second (AGAIN), Yankees have the Best Bullpen Ever Assembled!

i think it's cute that you guys have learned how to change font size..........

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Former ballplayers often make excellent color commentators - Tony Romo, Dennis Eckersley - and a lot of that has to do with their playing experience.

But the majority of good sportswriters were not players.

It's just different skill-sets.
    Kind of like the stay in your lane comments that I hear so often.

If you could build an ideal manager, you’d pick a guy who spent time in the show but was not a star. A guy whose talent didn’t get him beyond reaching the professional level. You need a guy who knows what being the 25th man is like. Stars have trouble relating to non stars. It’s hard to teach someone how to be great when the talent discrepancy is insane between the former star now manager and the players under him.

I still think a guy like Billy Beane is the beat type of GM. Highly intelligent who knows what it’s like to be a ball player. A Gm who doesn’t embrace analytics is gonna be a goner soon enough. But a former ball player who embraces analytics will have more staying power

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    thanks for that - i do like Speier but once again if you have someone who really is good at what they do, my persoanal preference would be to go with the guy with the on field experience.
    Big Data will exploit those who ignore it.