Register now to remove this ad

Page 71 of 200 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 2989

Thread: The Pen

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    Steamer projects Devers to hit >.800 OPS? Seriously? I don't see it...not until he learns to stop consistently swinging at balls that are out out of the strike zone. Devers is a poster boy for someone who has lots of *potential* according to many people-but who has shown little to live up to those expectations.
    Click the link, schroll down to Advanced. At the bottom is Steamers 2019 projection of an .805 OPS.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...50&position=3B

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Devers is only 22 years old.
    He has a .760 OPS in 179 regular season games.
    And an .884 OPS in 15 postseason games.

Projecting an .800 OPS is hardly a big stretch.
    Exactly!

"Shown little?" The guy has been a Yankee killer.

He has 31 HRs and 96 RBIs in his very first 730 PAs in MLB at a super young age playing against pitchers many years older than him.

Not many good to great players started out worse than this. BR lists players with similar batting numbers at age 21- here are a few of them:

Ron Santo
    Juan Gonzalez
    Cal Ripken
    Willie Mays
    Jose Canseco
    Larry Parish

Of course, Devers could underachieve or flame out, but I see more signs he busts out and becomes a great hitter.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Click the link, schroll down to Advanced. At the bottom is Steamers 2019 projection of an .805 OPS.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...50&position=3B
    Marcel projects Rafael Devers with a 2019 OPS of .769 while ZiPS projects an OPS of .800:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...everra01.shtml

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2019-zip...oston-red-sox/

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Marcel projects Rafael Devers with a 2019 OPS of .769 while ZiPS projects an OPS of .800:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...everra01.shtml

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2019-zip...oston-red-sox/
    All significantly higher than 2018's OPS.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Devers is only 22 years old.
    He has a .760 OPS in 179 regular season games.
    And an .884 OPS in 15 postseason games.

Projecting an .800 OPS is hardly a big stretch.
    I would love to see him get an OPS like that, obviously. But at this point that kind of projection doesn't pass the sniff test. All of us watch him at the plate swlnging at too many high strikes. Until he fixes that he isn't going to make that grade.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    I would love to see him get an OPS like that, obviously. But at this point that kind of projection doesn't pass the sniff test. All of us watch him at the plate swlnging at too many high strikes. Until he fixes that he isn't going to make that grade.
    Many great hitters had high K rates. He walks enough for it to not be a major issue.

Sox K% last year

27.5% Swihart
    26.0% Leon
    25.6% JBJ
    24.7% Devers
    22.5% JD
    22.2% Moreland
    19.9% Holt

How about hard hit%?
    44.9% JD
    44.5% Betts
    41.1% JBJ
    37.9% Bogey
    34.9% Moreland
    34.4% Devers
    33.3% Pearce
    29.6% Swihart
    29.2% Holt
    28.0% Beni
    27.5% Vaz
    27.2% Nunez
    26.4% Leon

He's so damn young, I'm not sure why only the K rate should matter.

He's a free swinger. He reminds me of Vlad Guerrero or Adrian Beltre at the plate.

Devers hasn’t shown the ability to drive bad pitches like Guerrero or Beltre. I’ve never seen a better bad ball hitter than Guerrero. The guy could take a ball off his shoe tops, in the other batters box or over his head and hit it out. Beltre is a far second. I’ve yet to see Devers consistently rake bad balls like that, so I wouldn’t put them in anywhere near the same category. Devers can mash a fastball. He can go the other way. He’s got a discipline issue that will improve with experience. I don’t think an .800 OPS is unreasonable for him. I also don’t think a .720 OPS is unreasonable for him. He’s so young and has so much talent that either direction is feasible

Deity
    Also Devers doesn’t freak out if you touch his head....

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Devers hasn’t shown the ability to drive bad pitches like Guerrero or Beltre.
    there was that time he turned around that 102MPH FB that was above the letters........
    other names i have posted under: none

Deity
    My best Vlad Guerrero joke was when he got in trouble after a fight with a police officer.

Friend: Hey did you hear about that baseball player who threw a punch at a cop?
    Me: Yeah. That was Vlad Guerrero. He’ll swing at anything...

Rimshot

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Devers hasn’t shown the ability to drive bad pitches like Guerrero or Beltre. I’ve never seen a better bad ball hitter than Guerrero. The guy could take a ball off his shoe tops, in the other batters box or over his head and hit it out. Beltre is a far second. I’ve yet to see Devers consistently rake bad balls like that, so I wouldn’t put them in anywhere near the same category. Devers can mash a fastball. He can go the other way. He’s got a discipline issue that will improve with experience. I don’t think an .800 OPS is unreasonable for him. I also don’t think a .720 OPS is unreasonable for him. He’s so young and has so much talent that either direction is feasible
    Devers hits a lot of HRs on traditionally not HR-type pitches.

Here's one (go to the 1:30 time line...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjLExsPliik

Devers was once like the #4 rated prospect in all of baseball at age 20, so obviously the talent is there. If he was a Yankee I would be expecting him to continually improve with age. But since he's a Red Sux, I'm expecting him to become Sandoval Jr. Keep eating young man!

I think Devers has the potential to be a really good hitter. It's a learning process, but the ability is there .

Deity
    I predict another year with Jacko being dragged to the ground by season end AGAIN....sniffle....sniffle.....sniffle. Heck based on history that is a better bet than any of the WS opening odds.
    Last edited by jung; 02-21-2019 at 11:50 AM.

All the tough talk is meaningless. Red Sox vs Yankee trash talk that we have heard a million times. All point of view stuff . The season will start soon . In the words of noted boxing referee , Mills Lane ; " Let's get it on ."