Register now to remove this ad

Page 70 of 200 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120170 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 2989

Thread: The Pen

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    He keeps confusing weakest area to a weak area.

Average in one area is not a death knell.

But... but... but... this is the AL EAST!!!!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Abject dumpster fire because Joe Kelly is gone. Um, ok... He wasn't very good for long stretches over the past few years. Losing him is not a big deal. My guess is that if they retained Kelly and let Kimbrel go that you'd still be calling it an abject dumpster fire.

It was a top 10 bullpen last year. It'll still be top 15 even with the loss of Kimbrel.

Kimbrel came out of the gates on absolute fire. I think he went most or all of April before a right-handed hitter even reached base against him.

But he cooled off like Hawaiian lava and became a source of hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing himself after the All Star break...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Kimbrel came out of the gates on absolute fire. I think he went most or all of April before a right-handed hitter even reached base against him.

But he cooled off like Hawaiian lava and became a source of hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing himself after the All Star break...
    That's the problem with Kimbrel...... When he is on.... he's very good (much like he was in the World Series) but when he is off.... it's ugly like he was in the Yankees and Astros series. It happens to all pitchers. I know I can be hard on him but it does happen to the best. With that said I still think Kimbrel's agent is asking too much for him but meh.

But... but... but... this is the AL EAST!!!!
    Yes, so how can the Yanks possibly win with a below average 1Bman? A position the rest of the league gets big offense from?

If Sale is toast due to his health issues at the end of 2018, then the Yankee SS position is toast, too. How can you win the AL East with the 1B and SS positions being abject failures?

Although the great start to 2018, and another great run in May to early June, the Sox still went 40-24 in it's last 64 games.

This happened despite Sale only starting 7 games and ERod 4. This happened despite Kimbrel's WHIP going from 0.885 to 1.200 in the last 64 games (not counting his horrendous playoff WHIP).

This team showed the ability to play .625 ball with a mediocre Kimbrel and basically no Sale or ERod.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 02-20-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Deity
    Although the great start to 2018, and another great run in May to early June, the Sox still went 40-24 in it's last 64 games.

This happened despite Sale only starting 7 games and ERod 4. This happened despite Kimbrel's WHIP going from 0.885 to 1.200 in the last 64 games (not counting his horrendous playoff WHIP).

This team showed the ability to play .625 ball with a mediocre Kimbrel and basically no Sale or ERod.

That was all Joe Kelly, obviously...

Both guys are replaceable. It just remains to be seen if the Sox have a replacement. I'm not worried about Joe Kelly leaving. I think someone like Travis Lakins could match what Kelly did last regular season. I still think they should reach out to Kimbrel and bring him back on a short deal.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Plus, these guys only started these many games out of the last 64:

0 Pedey
    12 Vaz
    28 Devers

Plus, these guys only started these many games out of the last 64:

0 Pedey
    12 Vaz
    28 Devers
    What was devers' and vaz's replacements' numbers over their respective seasons numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyWilliams View Post
    What was devers' and vaz's replacements' numbers over their respective seasons numbers?
    You are assuming they will repeat their 2018 numbers in 2019. This is not a valid way to project future output, but if you want to go by that....

.731 Devers
    .677 Nunez

.540 Vaz
    .511 Leon

While the gain might look slight here, I don't think I'm being a homer to believe they can at least give us their career norms (or better) in 2019:

.760 Devers

.632 Vaz

Both would be a significant improvement over their 2018 replacements' numbers.

You are assuming they will repeat their 2018 numbers in 2019. This is not a valid way to project future output, but if you want to go by that....

.731 Devers
    .677 Nunez

.540 Vaz
    .511 Leon

While the gain might look slight here, I don't think I'm being a homer to believe they can at least give us their career norms (or better) in 2019:

.760 Devers

.632 Vaz

Both would be a significant improvement over their 2018 replacements' numbers.
    But both of their "career norms" are relatively small sample sizes, no?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyWilliams View Post
    But both of their "career norms" are relatively small sample sizes, no?
    Yes, as is the case for most younger players moving towards prime. (999 PAs by Vaz and 672 by Devers)

If you really are expecting .731 from Devers and .540 from Vaz, then I can't make any more points, but even that would be better than what their replacements gave us last year.

I'm thinking .800 from Devers and .670 from Vaz is not a stretch.

Steamer projects:

.805 Devers (.805 THE BAT and .787 ATC)

.672 Vaz (.659 THE BAT & .637 ATC)

These numbers blow Nunez, Leon and Swihart out of the water.

Legend
    Yes, as is the case for most younger players moving towards prime. (999 PAs by Vaz and 672 by Devers)

If you really are expecting .731 from Devers and .540 from Vaz, then I can't make any more points, but even that would be better than what their replacements gave us last year.

I'm thinking .800 from Devers and .670 from Vaz is not a stretch.

Steamer projects:

.805 Devers (.805 THE BAT and .787 ATC)

.672 Vaz (.659 THE BAT & .637 ATC)

These numbers blow Nunez, Leon and Swihart out of the water.

Steamer projects Devers to hit >.800 OPS? Seriously? I don't see it...not until he learns to stop consistently swinging at balls that are out out of the strike zone. Devers is a poster boy for someone who has lots of *potential* according to many people-but who has shown little to live up to those expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    Steamer projects Devers to hit >.800 OPS? Seriously? I don't see it...not until he learns to stop consistently swinging at balls that are out out of the strike zone. Devers is a poster boy for someone who has lots of *potential* according to many people-but who has shown little to live up to those expectations.
    Devers is only 22 years old.
    He has a .760 OPS in 179 regular season games.
    And an .884 OPS in 15 postseason games.

Projecting an .800 OPS is hardly a big stretch.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Devers is only 22 years old.
    He has a .760 OPS in 179 regular season games.
    And an .884 OPS in 15 postseason games.

Projecting an .800 OPS is hardly a big stretch.
    Plus, he worked with JD for a good bit of the offseason.

He should be on an upward trend.