Register now to remove this ad

Page 56 of 200 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pen

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Keuchel?

San Diego or Chicago?
    Originally, I was going to say CWS, but I think he fits better with SD.

Deity
    J
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Originally, I was going to say CWS, but I think he fits better with SD.
    So the White Sox, who have been very adamant that they will spend this off-season, get nothing?

I think at some point they’re going to up their offer for Machado. They’ve already made several steps towards making the clubhouse a friendly environment for him by acquiring his brother-in-law and his workout partner...

Deity
    I think Harper returns to Washington, Machado goes to Chicago, Philly signs both Keuchel and Kimbrel and the Giants get Adam Eaton from the Nationals...

J

So the White Sox, who have been very adamant that they will spend this off-season, get nothing?

I think at some point they’re going to up their offer for Machado. They’ve already made several steps towards making the clubhouse a friendly environment for him by acquiring his brother-in-law and his workout partner...
    I could see signing someone who will still be around when the youngsters mature. That won't be Keuchel.

I think Harper returns to Washington, Machado goes to Chicago, Philly signs both Keuchel and Kimbrel and the Giants get Adam Eaton from the Nationals...
    I would say that is very possible. And the White Sox and Phillies deserve a tip of the cap for openly expressing a willingness to spend to improve their chances .

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I would say that is very possible. And the White Sox and Phillies deserve a tip of the cap for openly expressing a willingness to spend to improve their chances .
    Yes, I could see it happening, after all WASH did offer Harper a massive deal. I'm thinking Philly is looking big splash, and I guess Kuechel & Kimbrel would be just that, but Machado would fit better, IMO.

If the CWS are for real on spending, Machado fits their longer term plans, so it makes sense.

Legend
    Trying to make a point about the PR aspect of a Kimbrel signing for one of the Machado/Harpers losers....
    https://www.foul-territory.com/mlb/craig-kimbrel

harper - phillies
    Machado - MFY
    Keuchel - SFG
    Kimbrel - Hamfighters
    other names i have posted under: none

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    harper - phillies
    Machado - MFY
    Keuchel - SFG
    Kimbrel - Hamfighters

Ham Fighters? Lol

When I was a kid, the Globe used to have Japanese baseball box scores, often for the Ham Fighters, among other teams.

Like most people probably did, I thought that was the best name ever. I pictured their mascot as a bulky Japanese slugger like one of the members of the Gashiuse Gorillas that Bugs Bunny took on, but instead of a bat, he was wielding a large ham that looked like it came right out of an episode of the Flintstones, gripping a knobby bone for the handle. (That all my references were cartoons was a strong indication of my age.)

It wasn’t until years later - like 30 years later- that I learned the name of that team was the Fighters and they were owned by Nippon Ham.

Oh reality. How you ruin my wondrous childhood fantasies. We need more teams with names like “Ham Fighters.”

Even recently I learned there was a minor league hockey team called the Lake Erie Monsters. Now THAT is a great name and their uniform logo was awesome, depicting a lake monster breaching the surface. But even they changed their name to the Cleveland Monsters, which just sounds stupid and non-representative of Cleveland.

But anyway - zero chanceKimbrel goes to Japan. He won’t get the money he wants, but he will be in MLB...

Harper - Nats
    Machado - Phillies
    Keuchel - who cares
    Kimbrel - BOS

I doubt very highly that Kimbrel returns to Boston for the sheer fact that it would put the sox over that last line again. That would only deepen the fall in terms of player development
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I doubt very highly that Kimbrel returns to Boston for the sheer fact that it would put the sox over that last line again. That would only deepen the fall in terms of player development
    They'll go over the limit. Just waiting to get him at their price.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    They'll go over the limit. Just waiting to get him at their price.
    I think it would have to be a real bargain, but who knows what Kimbrel's market is right now?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I’m not entirely certain Dombrowski is prioritizing 10 draft slots over a World Series...

I’m not entirely certain Dombrowski is prioritizing 10 draft slots over a World Series...
    There's got to be a tipping point where Kimbrel on a bargain deal outweighs the tax and penalties. To me, it's more about the years and the effect a longer deal might have on keeping better and younger players around.