Register now to remove this ad

Page 189 of 200 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,835 of 2989

Thread: The Pen

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    His MO is to overpay and then I guess ask the owner for more money. At some point the owner is going to exhibit some control especially having just won a championship. Seems to me that this is the same old DD....overpay, which ends up biting him in the ass when he needs to make moves. That must prompt him to go to ownership for more money and ownership has to make a choice at that point. Given DD's history does that sound like his MO or not.

I think DD's real problem is that he has NEVER exhibited any interesting in modifying his MO which leaves an owner like John Henry left to manage him constantly. I think Henry has his championship. in fact he has four them in 14 years. He does not need to win this year. His revenue stream is not nearly as dependent on winning as would suite us. I suspect DD's days here are numbered frankly.
    Yes, he overpaid for Moreland and Pearce. I doubt anyone would have paid Eovaldi that much for 4 years.

I do not think he overpaid for Price. He was the best, and the best cost mega bucks.

I loved the Sale signing, and we'll see if it becomes our next albatross or not.

JD was not overpaid. Bogey was not overpaid.

Overall, DD seems to have come out about even on the overpay/underpay scale,to me.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Anyone who was paying attention knew we were mortgaging the future for the run in 2018. The thing that didn't go as planned was that we thought this team would be good enough to remain competitive for 2019 and maybe 2020.

Even then, the only thing that happened that wasn't predictable was having half of our starting pitching staff go into the crapper. If Sale & Porcillo had pitched as planned we'd be in the run with the MFY's and at worst have a WC spot wrapped up by now.
    Well said, and what GM, in their right mind, would not try to win again in 2019 without going even more nutty with the spending?
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    To have a payroll that size and go so cheap on the bullpen is poor management . Dombrowski has had much success with this team , but he doesn't get a pass on this . Sorry . But the truth is the truth . Not giving up yet either . Hoping that Eovaldi is the answer .
    And therein lies the problem.

Dombrowski did what he’s always been known for - pay heavily for star talent in the lineup and rotation and ignore the bullpen. It’s the same tactic that kept Detroit as an also-ran for half a decade. It has worked for him on occasion, but had he ever decided to bolster the bullpen in Detroit, there’s a good chance the Sox don’t win a title in 2013.

With the payroll he has, there’s no reason to leave such a glaring weakness on this team and no reason to throw a bunch of relievers at the wall and see who sticks. In Miami in 2003, you can pull that off. But in 2019, with a rest-oriented manager, this was a bad idea...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Yes, he overpaid for Moreland and Pearce. I doubt anyone would have paid Eovaldi that much for 4 years.

I do not think he overpaid for Price. He was the best, and the best cost mega bucks.

I loved the Sale signing, and we'll see if it becomes our next albatross or not.

JD was not overpaid. Bogey was not overpaid.

Overall, DD seems to have come out about even on the overpay/underpay scale,to me.
    There was simply NO REASON....NONE to extend Sale when DD extended him and out to 2024 no less for a guy with a rep now for punking out at the end of seasons. That was a lotta' money to pay for a starter under those circumstances when DD really did not have to do it. I do not believe as some have commented that Sale was injured and the Sox knew it. That simply does not make sense. That he is wearing down is fairly obvious. Wear is not injury and wear has never been considered injury. Tissue shredding and bone crumbling and tendons snapping....that is injury. We would have preferred that DD wait and not extend Sale when he did and if we would not have preferred that we are out of our minds.

As for Eovaldi, that is another starting pitcher overpay. I would be more specific in my comments about DD than some have been here. Where he really overpays IMO is starting pitching and he has done that now twice in the same year....Sale and Eovaldi, both of whom are worrisome expenditures into a John Henry that I suspect is getting leery of simply allowing DD free access to his bank account. Then of course there is that annoying tendency of DD's of simply throwing stuff for the pen against the wall to see what sticks. That simply flies in the face of where this game has been going for at least 10 years now. I don't like the way this game is going but if I had the purse strings for player personnel what I don't like becomes irrelevant in the face of an obvious trend. DD seems to be fighting the trend which is IMO an untenable position.

I have no issues with the Price deal and JD was fine but not better than fine. Price was a gamble at his age for that kind of cash and term. But the gamble has paid off in a championship and its late enough in his deal that if he folds like a cheap suit....that is sort of how these long term deals work out anyway. I have no issues with JD either except now JD is making noise about wanting to be on firmer footing with the Sox in a more solid deal than he has. NO WAY!!!! JD has trouble hitting breaking stuff right into a cadre of MLB pitchers starting to throw buckets of breaking stuff at him. IMO the hitters that are really thriving now are those that take advantage of the fact that nobody pitches inside effectively anymore. Devers dives across the batters box. So does X. Bellinger by God sets up with his elbow hanging over the inner third of the plate. JD is not going to change what he does. He is a process hitter that lives off of weak cheese. He has his process. He is not going to deviate. NO WAY do I rewrite JD's deal and if he wants to opt out.....thanks for the 2018 effort JD.

X has been a real treasure here. But I think the player himself is as responsible as DD for that one. X must have been sending very favorable vibes and his response to just having signed a big money, long term deal is so singularly rare in this day and age that the Sox must have felt very comfortable with that deal going into it. They live with the player and must have known his character is as it projects and frankly even from the outside looking in, if any young Sox player looked like the kind of guy you would do this for even before the deal was done, its X by a country mile.

Pearce was particularly senseless. Hated it from the minute I heard it. Moreland was a bit of a mystery as well but Pearce was just flat out bad and smelled bad right from the start.

I don't think DD will be kept past his 2020 contract expiration. Might even go before then as its tough to have a Pres of baseball ops that is a lame duck.
    Last edited by jung; 07-18-2019 at 07:21 AM.

Pearce was particularly senseless. Hated it from the minute I heard it. Moreland was a bit of a mystery as well but Pearce was just flat out bad and smelled bad right from the start.
    Reaction here to the Pearce signing was overwhelmingly positive at the time. You should have voiced your dissent on that thread, it would have made you look wise, now that Steve and Mitch are doing their duet on "American Idle".
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Reaction here to the Pearce signing was overwhelmingly positive at the time. You should have voiced your dissent on that thread, it would have made you look wise, now that Steve and Mitch are doing their duet on "American Idle".
    Agreed. I don’t actually remember one person upset about signing Pearce.

Deity
    I DID voice it here at the time. Flat out said I would have tried to bring Nate back but that Pearce made no sense AT ALL!

I DID voice it here at the time. Flat out said I would have tried to bring Nate back but that Pearce made no sense AT ALL!
    Your mistake, then, was not doing it on the thread for the Pearce signing where it would have been readily accessible.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Your mistake, then, was not doing it on the thread for the Pearce signing where it would have been readily accessible.
    You won't find me posting much here in the fall or winter time. After the WS even if I have something to say I am not likely to post it here. Usually I start posting here in earnest once ST starts, sometimes later than that. I probably did not even see that thread. In fact I think I just saw it for the first time just now because I went looking for it.

Posters don't really follow the same patterns of posting. Me, I don't really have much interest in the hot stove stuff....certainly not in posting about it....never have. Show me who we are starting the season carrying and who the competition is carrying and that is when you are likely to see me comment.

Deity
    I thought the Pearce signing made sense but I was unaware of the budget limitations at the time. I assume DD was aware of them.

I didn’t like the Eovaldi signing because of his track record for arm problems...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I thought the Pearce signing made sense but I was unaware of the budget limitations at the time. I assume DD was aware of them.

I didn’t like the Eovaldi signing because of his track record for arm problems...
    Was hard to be mad at any signings because we won the World Series and this is basically the team that did it for us. But I do agree about Eovaldi. He’s been out for quite some time now. How long will he last? And they keep saying he’s almost ready to return. I swear they have been saying that for the last month.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    Was hard to be mad at any signings because we won the World Series and this is basically the team that did it for us. But I do agree about Eovaldi. He’s been out for quite some time now. How long will he last? And they keep saying he’s almost ready to return. I swear they have been saying that for the last month.
    It’s getting to the point where the announcement that he’s the new closer is the same lip service the Colts front office kept feeding their fans about the imminent return of Andrew Luck...

Legend
    Forget about Pearce, let it go. It is what it is. Worry about the now. Beginning of year Moreland was getting big hits, when nobody was doing anything, hopefully he comes back and helps.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 07-18-2019 at 08:29 AM.

In all fairness we are fans and the dude just was a big part in winning the WS (MVP). DD should not act like a fan.
    No way no how that chunk of cash should have been used on anythybut RPing...
    other names i have posted under: none

Legend
    Sox are the one of the biggest analytical teams in baseball, they use every letter in alphabet, on Stats. Nobody is signed unless the Nerds say so.