Register now to remove this ad

Page 138 of 200 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148188 ... LastLast
Results 2,056 to 2,070 of 2989

Thread: The Pen

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I did.

I got bored.

I was glad to see a post that did not really misrepresent my position.

On your point about our crappy 5th starter, one could argue having to fill in for Eovaldi not only took a long relief pitcher from our pen, but it also taxed the pen by forcing "pen games" way too often.

My position remains unchanged. We need pen help for the rest of the season... like yesterday, but our pen has been a plus, so far this year. To me, it's beyond debate. They have added wins and lessened losses when compared to our rotation up to now.
    As much as I’ve been calling for another bullpen arm, the Sox bullpen went 11 innings last night and only gave up 2 runs against a very good team. It was an impressive game for a lot of them.

Yes they had 2 blown saves. But it never should have come to that. The Sox hitting was completely absent. No bullpen should be required to do what the Sox pen did last night...

Legend
    What you cant do is give the tying HR up to the 1st Batter, in the 13th, to tie the game. 1st batter. After you get the lead. That hurt. Sometimes, have to give the other Pitchers credit too. Hard to do, but it happens.
    I said in game thread ticking time bomb, with this BP against a Home Run hitting team.
    Walks and HR's kill Relievers, games are usually close anyway when they come in. Usually that 1 hit, is the difference.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 06-19-2019 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    As much as I’ve been calling for another bullpen arm, the Sox bullpen went 11 innings last night and only gave up 2 runs against a very good team. It was an impressive game for a lot of them.

Yes they had 2 blown saves. But it never should have come to that. The Sox hitting was completely absent. No bullpen should be required to do what the Sox pen did last night...
    Team was 1-13 with RISP for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

3 runs to be exact, but your point stands.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Legend
    Sox are facing a good Pitcher today, especially at home, they needed last nights game. Huge win today if they can forget and move on quickly. Got to take 2 out of three in Minny.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by devildavid View Post
    Team was 1-13 with RISP for the game.
    Most important game stat, that and 2 out with RISP. But the Sox had the lead...Twice, after Price was gone.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 06-19-2019 at 07:15 AM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    3 runs to be exact, but your point stands.

I also doubt Dombrowski adds anything to this bullpen, at least not directly.

More likely he adds a swingman type who can pitch while a starter is out but can go to the bullpen on the rare occasion our starting 5 is healthy.

If he wants to replace Porcello for next year with this trade, it gets difficult to figure out who his target is. Maybe Anthony Desclafini? Brad Keller? Mike Minor? (Because the Sox need another lefty.)

If he is ok with a rental who isn’t going to dent the burgeoning supply of elite prospects, the target might be someone like Andrew Cashner. (Brian Johnson for Cashner and cash? I’m ok with that.)

Legend
    Cant Trade Porcello until you see how Eovaldi's arm is holding out. Might not make it through his 1st start.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Cant Trade Porcello until you see how Eovaldi's arm is holding out. Might not make it through his 1st start.
    The Sox aren’t trading Porcello. But they might acquire a pitcher controllable through next season and then not re-sign Porcello.

I think that’s unlikely, as they really don’t have the chips for a worthwhile pitcher with that much control.

I think they’ll move on a cheaper pitcher like Cashner and he’ll replace Eovaldi in the rotation for as long as required in 2019. And move to the bullpen if/when Nathan rejoins the rotation (assuming no one else is hurt)...
    Last edited by notin; 06-19-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    . Does anyone know why Price was taken out after 5?
    i believe WTF Cora declared "we have to protect him". whatever that means....
    other names i have posted under: none

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    It might means he’s still not 100%.

Getting more IP out of Price might have worked out better, but are you really arguing that the performance of the bullpen was the problem last night/this morning?

I imagine that the Pawtucket-Boston shuttle will be active today.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Last night's game killed my enthusiasm. Normally I consider baseball a team game, and wins or losses are distributed amongst the players who contributed. But last night's loss I'm pinning squarely on JD Martinez. 0 for 8 with 5 strikeouts and 4 men left on base may be the worse game I've ever seen anyone have, and his only job was to hit.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    The fact is you have no idea why he took him out, nor do I. But I am more than willing to trust his judgment because he has a whole lot more information than I--or you. I also think Price was lucky as heck to get thru 5 while giving up just 1 run because his changeup was getting hammered and his slider was rarely used.

The night before Cora had no hesitation letting Porcello go 7 innings and 94 pitches and then bringing in Brewer and Brasier to finish a 2-0 win. The game before that he took starter Johnson out after 3 and only brought in Smith to pitch the 9th because the Sox were leading 8-3, which became 8-6 before he got the final out. the game before that Sale went 6 and 103 pitches giving up 2 runs. And so on.

Last night was the 15th game in 14 days, which has taxed the bullpen, especially when Price went 1.1 innings in 1 start and Johnson 3 in another. So my thinking is that Cora had tons of reasons to leave Price in last night, but didn't for what can only be good reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    Last night's game killed my enthusiasm. Normally I consider baseball a team game, and wins or losses are distributed amongst the players who contributed. But last night's loss I'm pinning squarely on JD Martinez. 0 for 8 with 5 strikeouts and 4 men left on base may be the worse game I've ever seen anyone have, and his only job was to hit.
    I can get behind that. It was a pathetic showing for Martinez. Cora was actually brilliant last night.... Price might have been a bit sore so he went to the red hot bullpen and they performed nothing short of fantastic. 12 innings giving up 3 runs is brilliant for any bullpen and especially against an offense like Minnesota. Too bad we just couldn't get one more damn run.